The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » InstaCAAN : Smoother than your grannies chip pan (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Jon Strum
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
So, to ensure that we're not living in some sort of parallel universe, I just re-watched the demo video that's featured on Murphy's Magic website. In the 3:16 demo, two and a half minutes are devoted to showing a presentation that features the spectator holding the deck and dealing the cards to the table. At 2:48 in the same video, there is a 25-second clip that shows Joel at the very conclusion of the trick, just when he's turning over the blank cards for the kicker. Nowhere in this video does it say that the magician deals. Nowhere.

So then I re-read the copy from Murphy's Magic website. Here it is, copied verbatim:

Description:

After placing a prediction card face-down, you introduce a deck of cards and a participant or two decide on a number between one and fifty two.

The cards are freely counted down to your spectators decided number, arriving at one card. AMAZINGLY their selection matches your prediction PERFECTLY.
The effect doesn't stop there, you have now set up your audience for the unexpected finale. You spread the deck of cards face up, revealing EVERY card is completely blank. Leaving your audiences astounded.

And not only that, EVERYTHING is EXAMINABLE.

It's easy to do, it's quick to reset & guaranteed to get great reactions.

Learn it in no time and it lasts a lifetime.

[END COPY]

Nowhere in the advertising copy does it state that the magician deals the cards. Granted, it's more nebulous here, "The cards are freely counted...". The advertising copy never specifies who does the counting, and when the accompanying demo video shows the spectator counting, well, I think fair assumptions can be drawn.

Joel, we can argue over opinions. But we really can't argue over facts. Right?
"Do you like card tricks?" he asked.
I said no. He did five.
loudini1972
View Profile
New user
Central New Jersey
95 Posts

Profile of loudini1972
^^^^^ Some people have way too much free time on their hands.

Joel, It's a fantastic effect and I don't think the add copy is misleading at all.

Good luck with it!

Lou
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
If what Jon Strum says is correct and I quote from above
“ Nowhere in the advertising copy does it state that the magicians deals the cards “

and Joe says and I quote

“ It’s 5050 as to while does the deal. In the promo text we do not state the spectator can deal. We state the magician deals. We even state the magician deals in the video. “

Then one of them is misleading as both statements totally contradict one another . So to loudini1972 it’s not about having too much time on your hands it’s about ethics and people never want to be misled . I haven’t seen the ad copy or the effect but nevertheless there are 1000,s of effects we can buy so why is it unreasonable to question things if they are possibly advertised wrong ? Hopefully there is a plausible reason as someone appears to have made an error imo . You have to remember that some of us have been in this game decades and we have countless caans , acaans that always fall short for probably similar limitations like this one . So why would we want another with similar drawbacks ? You might only have one and it’s acceptable to you but it’s not acceptable to us all and you have to respect that Gaz 🙂
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
It looks like granny's chip pan may have a few bumps in it after all!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It always did have and was obvious to me to be fair what it’s limitations were . That doesn’t mean it isn’t quite good but in general a part from one or two items the crap that has come out this year because of desperation due to the Pandemic has been appalling . I have never seen magic week so full with second hand sh.te . So much old stuff repackaged etc they must take us for mugs . The trick of the year for me has been Flite by Steve Thompson a real gem and will be a stalwart in most performing magicians sets for years to come I truly believe Gaz 🙂
loudini1972
View Profile
New user
Central New Jersey
95 Posts

Profile of loudini1972
I thought that ad copy is written from a spectators point of view and how they remember the effect played out?? Am I missing something?

I have the effect and I don't think the ad copy is misleading. Just my $.02.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2020, loudini1972 wrote:
I thought that ad copy is written from a spectators point of view and how they remember the effect played out??

Yes, you'll often hear spectators say "I bet there's no rough and smooth, no difficult memorisation and no sticky stuff in that trick I've just watched"
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
When I watched the demo I was under the impression the spectator did the dealing... because the demo features the spectator dealing. I’ve just re-watched it, and Joel does say “You then deal down to their number”, but literally the next shot is the spectator dealing, so in my opinion it’s really easy for people to assume it’s the spec that does it.

There isn’t a clip of Joel dealing in the demo either; There are two performances in the demo (and I presume one of them is with Joel dealing)... but the second performance only has a clip of their reaction after seeing the prediction, and a clip of their reaction after Joel turns over the deck to reveal it was blank. The rest has been cut out.

Had I not read this thread, I definitely wouldn’t have known that second performance involved Joel dealing, and I also wouldn’t have known that the magician had to deal down at all. Do I feel mislead? Not really lol, but I totally agree with the people saying it should have been made clearer, because I had no clue.

I personally don’t mind dealing because it does give you more control over the thematics, and I know I won’t accidentally spoil the surprise by dropping cards. But I totally get why other prefer the spec to deal.

On the trick itself: Might be worth trying to do it with a double backer deck, as it will make the sleight you *may* have to a tad easier (if I’ve understood everything correctly) and it will be more convincing. I also think revealing a double backer deck feels more “unique” and freaky, kinda like that scene in ‘eternal sunshine of the spotless mind’ when Jim Carrey tries to turn that guy around to get a look at his face, only for the front of his face to be the back of his head again.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
I thought that ad copy is written from a spectators point of view and how they remember the effect played out??

Yes, you'll often hear spectators say "I bet there's no rough and smooth, no difficult memorisation and no sticky stuff in that trick I've just watched"

😂😂😂 Martin , well put Gaz 🙂
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:

😂😂😂 Martin , well put Gaz 🙂

Haha. Good one!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2020, rosariorose9 wrote:
Looks too good to be true. So, naturally, I ordered it. Smile

Thank the dear Lord that I am the complete opposite.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:

Actually, pegasus, I am very pleased with the effect. I've gotten great reactions, with each of the possible outcomes. Really do not understand the complaints about this one.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2020, rosariorose9 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, pegasus, I am very pleased with the effect. I've gotten great reactions, with each of the possible outcomes. Really do not understand the complaints about this one.

I wasn’t referring to this effect, only in general my friend. I’m glad the gamble paid off this time.
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Received this the other day, as others I have watched both video's and am wondering also about a spec picking the number 5. I have PM'd Joel and still waiting response, also I would not let the spec deal the cards unless it was a miracle number (those who have it knows what that would be). He mentions a pdf file but apparently Murphy's never included it or possibly you only get that if you bought directly from Joel. All that aside good effect, got a similar effect based on suits.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
....I’m glad the gamble paid off this time.

I DEFINITELY have to gamble less. My "gamble(s) paid off this time" are far too infrequent! Smile
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
485 Posts

Profile of geggy
While I'm sure in 'confident hands ' this is very doable, I like others feel misled by the hype around this release.
With a more honest description I def. would not have purchased this.
In any of the demos I watched I saw no cutting of the cards before the count and no indication of certain dealing techniques that may have to be executed depending on number arrived at.
While I fully accept it is my confidence/competence that is lacking, a little more honesty would have been helpful.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2020, geggy wrote:
While I'm sure in 'confident hands ' this is very doable, I like others feel misled by the hype around this release.
In any of the demos I watched I saw no cutting of the cards before the count and no indication of certain dealing techniques that may have to be executed depending on number arrived at.
While I fully accept it is my confidence/competence that is lacking, a little more honesty would have been helpful.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you’re not satisfied with it, don’t blame your lack of skills or confidence, return it for a refund or credit.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I agree with you geggy it’s poor form . I can do all the moves standing on my head but that’s not the point I understood the demos were flawed but that isn’t fair on everyone .
It’s wrong to prey on the naivety of some for sales as this is far far short of many Caans that I already know .
There is no way in the world that a really good magician like Joel does this in his regular set that is so untrue , he might of done it for a week or two but I guarantee you he doesn’t now . No way simple as that , if he does his act is going down his own grannies chip pan imho Gaz 🙂
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:

The guy in the propdog demo clearly cuts the cards after the first number is named. For me, personally, any cutting of the deck in a CAAN or ACAAN renders it pretty much useless as it completely destroys the essence of the effect.
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
485 Posts

Profile of geggy
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2020, videoman wrote:
Quote:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you’re not satisfied with it, don’t blame your lack of skills or confidence, return it for a refund or credit.

Hardly blaming my skills..acknowledging my own capabilities, I am...but as per usual on this platform let's ignore the whole point of my post and concentrate on just a few words and take them out of context..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » InstaCAAN : Smoother than your grannies chip pan (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL