The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » InstaCAAN : Smoother than your grannies chip pan (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
geggy
View Profile
Loyal user
Brighton UK
252 Posts

Profile of geggy
Hi Martin...saw the propdog demo long after purchase..
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3837 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
100% agree with you geggy you have to justify nothing the ad is misleading period Gaz 🙂
geggy
View Profile
Loyal user
Brighton UK
252 Posts

Profile of geggy
Thanks Gaz
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4791 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2020, geggy wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2020, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2020, geggy wrote:
While I'm sure in 'confident hands ' this is very doable, I like others feel misled by the hype around this release.
With a more honest description I def. would not have purchased this.
In any of the demos I watched I saw no cutting of the cards before the count and no indication of certain dealing techniques that may have to be executed depending on number arrived at.
While I fully accept it is my confidence/competence that is lacking, a little more honesty would have been helpful.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you’re not satisfied with it, don’t blame your lack of skills or confidence, return it for a refund or credit.

Hardly blaming my skills..acknowledging my own capabilities, I am...but as per usual on this platform let's ignore the whole point of my post and concentrate on just a few words and take them out of context..

I was actually acknowledging your point and backing you up. I think you misinterpreted my post. Perhaps you should spend less time on your magic skills and work on your reading comprehension. But as per usual on this platform people go on the defensive without even understanding what they’ve read.
Harry Patter
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Harry Patter
One of the reason I watch the PropDog reviews is they don't hide anything, either in performance or discussion.

I do think cutting the deck flies by and isn't issue, but the ad copy, as more often than not isn't 100% open. It is still a great version of the effect though.
geggy
View Profile
Loyal user
Brighton UK
252 Posts

Profile of geggy
Videoman,
Sorry man...my bad.
The perils of the written word.
I've made my point. I
Follow Joel and Andy at Realworkers on Facebook, own Link-em, which is great. Instacaan is a good trick, but its one that I personally wouldn't have the chops to do.
Just giving my opinion, but sure many are loving it.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1615 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
If you are looking for a CAAN I can recommended The Grail or One Night In Vegas.
geggy
View Profile
Loyal user
Brighton UK
252 Posts

Profile of geggy
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2020, reignofsound wrote:
If you are looking for a CAAN I can recommended The Grail or One Night In Vegas.

Spooky, just got the 'Gold Grail, edition and love it.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3837 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Xact by Mike Kirby is one of my favourites Gaz 🙂
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Xact and The Grail are close cousins -- just depends on which trade-off you prefer.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3837 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I have the grail , xact and where in the world ( these last to are the same principle ) these latter two are brilliant imo and better than the grail Gaz 🙂
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Gaz, I too have The Grail and Xact. Frankly I have too many ACAAN effects. I get that Xact requires fewer mental gymnastics and usually looks cleaner. Have you ever had any trouble in your performances with Xact in that you're often left dirty?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3837 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
No Mike I am never left in a position that feels dirty , the box is on the table in a direction where there is nothing to see or away in my pocket . I have changed the order slightly of the gimmick to make it slightly better imo . I will say though I use where I the world the most as I just prefer the presentation I use with that one . I have also changed the order of the gimmick slightly with that to and again have a well practiced procedure of tipping out the cards and laying down the box too . Best wishes Gaz 🙂
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3671 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2020, Jon Strum wrote:
So, to ensure that we're not living in some sort of parallel universe, I just re-watched the demo video that's featured on Murphy's Magic website. In the 3:16 demo, two and a half minutes are devoted to showing a presentation that features the spectator holding the deck and dealing the cards to the table. At 2:48 in the same video, there is a 25-second clip that shows Joel at the very conclusion of the trick, just when he's turning over the blank cards for the kicker. Nowhere in this video does it say that the magician deals. Nowhere.

So then I re-read the copy from Murphy's Magic website. Here it is, copied verbatim:

Description:

After placing a prediction card face-down, you introduce a deck of cards and a participant or two decide on a number between one and fifty two.

The cards are freely counted down to your spectators decided number, arriving at one card. AMAZINGLY their selection matches your prediction PERFECTLY.
The effect doesn't stop there, you have now set up your audience for the unexpected finale. You spread the deck of cards face up, revealing EVERY card is completely blank. Leaving your audiences astounded.

And not only that, EVERYTHING is EXAMINABLE.

It's easy to do, it's quick to reset & guaranteed to get great reactions.

Learn it in no time and it lasts a lifetime.

[END COPY]

Nowhere in the advertising copy does it state that the magician deals the cards. Granted, it's more nebulous here, "The cards are freely counted...". The advertising copy never specifies who does the counting, and when the accompanying demo video shows the spectator counting, well, I think fair assumptions can be drawn.

Joel, we can argue over opinions. But we really can't argue over facts. Right?

I don't understand the problem. It seems to me that a little secret something could be done before the spectator counts the cards and the trick basically looks the same. The ad should show what the audience experience is, and I don't see any problem here.

I don't own this, but I think I understand how this works. Obviously, there is only one card they will always arrive to, and if the cards are all blank in the end, then obviously every other card must be blank. So, naturally, there would be some sort of move 50% of the time. I'm guessing that move is for when they select an even number. You didn't think this was real magic, did you? And, why can't you just do the simple move and hand the deck to your participant to count the cards? It seems you have all the time and misdirection in the world in the process of selecting a number. In this case, the ad is fine. I don't think he needed to show the move in the demo trailer. The problem with video is that you can rewind and rewatch, so you don't get the same experience as a live audience.
KJ
geggy
View Profile
Loyal user
Brighton UK
252 Posts

Profile of geggy
1KJ...there are scenarios where you must deal..
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3071 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2020, 1KJ wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2020, Jon Strum wrote:
So, to ensure that we're not living in some sort of parallel universe, I just re-watched the demo video that's featured on Murphy's Magic website. In the 3:16 demo, two and a half minutes are devoted to showing a presentation that features the spectator holding the deck and dealing the cards to the table. At 2:48 in the same video, there is a 25-second clip that shows Joel at the very conclusion of the trick, just when he's turning over the blank cards for the kicker. Nowhere in this video does it say that the magician deals. Nowhere.

So then I re-read the copy from Murphy's Magic website. Here it is, copied verbatim:

Description:

After placing a prediction card face-down, you introduce a deck of cards and a participant or two decide on a number between one and fifty two.

The cards are freely counted down to your spectators decided number, arriving at one card. AMAZINGLY their selection matches your prediction PERFECTLY.
The effect doesn't stop there, you have now set up your audience for the unexpected finale. You spread the deck of cards face up, revealing EVERY card is completely blank. Leaving your audiences astounded.

And not only that, EVERYTHING is EXAMINABLE.

It's easy to do, it's quick to reset & guaranteed to get great reactions.

Learn it in no time and it lasts a lifetime.

[END COPY]

Nowhere in the advertising copy does it state that the magician deals the cards. Granted, it's more nebulous here, "The cards are freely counted...". The advertising copy never specifies who does the counting, and when the accompanying demo video shows the spectator counting, well, I think fair assumptions can be drawn.

Joel, we can argue over opinions. But we really can't argue over facts. Right?

You didn't think this was real magic, did you?
KJ

I did n't understand why people feel the need to trot out this absurd condescending phrase.

I think we can safely assume anyone discussing the pros and cons of a card effect being sold in magic supply stores is not expecting real magic.
Jon Strum
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
Especially someone who states "I think I know how this works" and then goes on to write a comment that only proves that they haven't a clue. And, 1KJ, just to clarify -- I have no problems with any sleights or "moves" that may be required here. All I'm taking issue with is the fact that when you publish a demo video that shows the spectator holding the deck, dealing the cards, etc. then that's the way the trick ought to work. That won't be the case 50% of the time. And assuming you perform for other people, then I'm sure you can appreciate the difference there. But thanks for clearing everything up and letting me know it's not real magic.
"Do you like card tricks?" he asked.
I said no. He did five.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3671 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
OK, If I don't know how it works, then there is a much simpler way to make this work. Since we are in "Latest and Greatest", where it is ok to speculate as to method, a R/S deck, or even R/S on part of each card, with a force card every other card and the cards in between all blank would accomplish this. In that case, all you would need to do is to move a single card from top to bottom or cop out the card and hand the deck to them.

If that is not the method, ok, well then the above method would do exactly what this trick does and allow the participant to deal every time. In fact, in performance, if you start with the "ones", then you have all the time in the world to do the dirty work while someone else comes up with the "tens" number.

KJ
Jon Strum
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
In fact, in performance, if you hand someone a R/S deck and direct them to deal cards one at a time...well then you deserve the consequences of your own actions. Best of luck with your effect!
"Do you like card tricks?" he asked.
I said no. He did five.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3071 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2020, Jon Strum wrote:
In fact, in performance, if you hand someone a R/S deck and direct them to deal cards one at a time...well then you deserve the consequences of your own actions. Best of luck with your effect!

If the participant complains that you've just handed them an obvious trick deck from a magic shop just say "What's the problem? You didn't think this was real magic, did you?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » InstaCAAN : Smoother than your grannies chip pan (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 1.46 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL