The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » More Research: Coins through Silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
For my competiton act, I am considering putting together a coins through silk routine. So once again, I have to do some research. Please list as many published coin through silk routines as you can think of. Thanks,
Alex Linian
RxGregory
View Profile
New user
St. Charles, MO
65 Posts

Profile of RxGregory
Check out David Roth's Ultimate Coin Magic Collection Volume 2. There are 12 different routines with coins and silk:

A Coin & Silk Routine—an elegant routine where a coin is magically produced from a handkerchief and is then passed straight through it.
Breast Pocket Coin Vanish—a great utility vanish that can be used on its own or as an addition to an existing routine.
Coin Through Ring 1 and 2 —a coin is twisted into the middle of a handkerchief and a borrowed ring is theaded on, which is then magically removed. Two versions are taught with one suitable for performance in even a large venue!
Tactile Coin Through Silk—a spectator pushes a coin straight through an ordinary handkerchief. A subtle and ingenious method makes this an incredibly clean and powerful piece of magic.
Novel Coin Vanish—a coin, fairly folded into a handkerchief, instantly vanishes when the handkerchief is opened out. Two methods are taught with the second happening while the spectator holds the handkerchief!
Buckley Bag Appearance—a coin visibly appears inside a folded handkerchief that was openly displayed.
Rip-O—a coin, twisted into the middle of a handkerchief, is visibly cut out with a knife, yet the handkerchief emerges unharmed.
Tenkai’s Magical Filtration—A beautiful piece of magic from one of magic’s legends. A coin vanishes and then audibly reappears in a folded handkerchief held by a spectator.
Copper/Silver Extraction—Two coins—one copper, one silver—are twisted into a handkerchief. The copper coin is magically extracted through the hank and then replaced the same way. The silver coin is also extracted through the hank and then everything is examined. A classic remodeled with the Roth touch!
The Original Vanishing Coin—you’ve heard of the oldest trick in the book? Well, this is it! Learn one of the world’s oldest—and best—ways to vanish a coin while the spectator is holding it!
Coins Through Silk—David Roth’s version of an effect made popular by Michael Ammar. Coins pass mysteriously and visibly through a sheer scarf.
E. Brian MacCarthy Coin Vanish—a brilliant and innovative vanish of even a large coin from a handkerchief. Two handlings.

My personal favorite is Michael Ammar's routine listed above with the sheer scarf. I've seen Roth and Ammar do it, but Ammar IMHO does it better.
If it was easy, everybody would do it, and if everybody did it, it wouldn't be magic.
David Roth (Ultimate Coin Magic Vol. 11)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Look at Silver or Copper Extraction, Copper Penetration and Expansion of Texture in . . . where else? . . . Bobo!
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Michael Ammar has, in my opinion, the best routine of "Coins Through Silk" out there. It uses a transluscent silk handkerchief and, for me, it kills. You can find it in his two of his books, "The Magic of Michael Ammar" and "Encore III". In fact, Michael will tell you that he once had an opportunity to do one magic effect for the Pope and this is the effect he selected. Apparently for some reason the performance never happened, but that speaks to how strong the routine is. I love it.
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
383 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
I like the Ammar method too.
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Yup Ammar's is the way to go.
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Curtis Kam has a great silk and coin routine on "Palms of Steel." If I'm not mistaken there are two routines --one of coins to silk, another one with coin productions, including the production of a jumbo coin that I think would be great for competition.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
As a matter of fact an even better routine with the scarf is done (and once published ) by Chris Power from UK. Ask one of the UK members for info on him...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Dam
View Profile
New user
Brest in France
100 Posts

Profile of Dam
Hello
There is the natan Kranzo's "coin through silk" in "outside the box" DVD, I think it's very visual and clean, good work Natan, I like that.

Damien
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Curtis recommends Vernons routine from his lost Inner secrets/ vernon chronicals book and credits that as the basis of the routine on POS1...may be worth checking out. Can't remember the routine but Chris Kenner has a routine in out of control too.
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
AGHH! I was hoping no one mentioned Chris's routine. I use it a lot to great success. It is one of the finest demonstrations of sleight of hand I have ever witnessed!
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
As Dan mentioned in his post, Chris Power has what is considered by many as the best coins through silk routine. The silk is see through and the coins are in sight for the whole of the routine. one by one three coins penetrate the silk to land in the spectators palm.
The routine is taught on a video that he sells through himself, or it can also be found in his FISM notes, which were written by Chris and JJ, who do a joint lecture. The silk is not prepared, but there is a certain type of silk which you need for the routine, becuase there are few see through silks! You can buy these silks from Chris as well as the video and notes. I do not know any contact details for him though...
If you are ever attend the International Magic Convention, held at the begining of December, then you will most lickely find Chris there.

Hope this helps....
owen
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
256 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
For something a little bit different, check out Dean Dill's Platrick coin, it'sa coins through silk using those clear produce bags found in the supermarket

Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I agree, the Ammar routine kills.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
The Chris Power routine is actually Chris' improvement of the Ammar version. Having seen Michael perform it, he then went and made a version for himself!
Where can one find the Dean Dill routine?

Owen
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Gary Kurtz has a great routine.
I like Curtis Kam's routine.
I perform Ammar's routine which is quite snazzy.
Dill must have something wonderful. I just don't know what it is.

Chris Powers, eh? Hmmmm.. Have to look into that.
If anyone knows more info on getting media from him, let me know.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dam
View Profile
New user
Brest in France
100 Posts

Profile of Dam
Owen.daniel
The silk is not prepared, but there is a certain type of silk which you need for the routine, becuase there are few see through silks!

I use juggling silk.
It's not too bad, but a little "fragil".

Damien
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Oh yeah!!!! I completely forgot the Dean Dill routine.
That is a really magical trick which has the same premise as the coins thru sheer scarf but with a plastic bag. I don't know which video it's on but there is a great cardtrick with the same plastic bag as well, based on a Daryl routine.
Contact Dean thru his website, these are overlooked jewels of tricks!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
The silk that Chris sells is called a Chifon (not sure of spelling) scarf, he could only get them from Japan, and now they have stopped selling them. He sells them for £5.
He used to have a site for his old magazine Opus, but I can no longer find it.

I will try and get some contact details.
owen
MesmerEyes
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
63 Posts

Profile of MesmerEyes
Chiffon is now being produced and exported from India. A search on the internet will find you many sources very quickly. This is the type of scarf women wore back in the early 60's. I know the Ammar routine uses the sheer type.

Another great routine is on the Roth Live in Sacramento tape. It is the routine he didn't want to give away when he did the silk and coin video. It really is a great production and vanish of 4 coins using a regular silk. Very clean and open.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » More Research: Coins through Silk (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL