The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The affluent market. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bernice
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bernice
Anyone have an advice for the selling of performances and services to the affluent? I am approaching service providers that already cater to the affluent market with the hopes of having them refer me to their clients.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What are you trying to sell?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bernice
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bernice
In reality, it's a magic show being sold as a psychic party. Plus the accompanying up-sells of readings, training, and consumables.

It's a post-quarantine plan. Currently, I'm filling the pipeline with video chat readings and training.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What training?

Do you think you have a product the "affluent market" will purchase and do you do it well enough to appeal to that particular segment?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bernice
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bernice
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
What training?

Self-hypnosis that leads to intuition, past life regression, pleasure parallel trainings.

Quote:
Do you think you have a product the "affluent market" will purchase and do you do it well enough to appeal to that particular segment?

I think so. I will find out soon enough when I take it on the road. I have tested the contents of the show with current affluent clients in my readings and the response has been encouraging. I'm curious as to how to get it in front of as many affluent people as I can.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Good luck with it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bernice
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bernice
Quote:
Good luck with it.

Thank you. Any advice?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Very interesting. I see a couple of concerns with what you are attempting but believe these two things could be addressed and dealt with with the right understanding and perspective.

One of the immediate problems I see is what you are targeting is not an actual market. It is more of a niche than anything. Of course, you could try to create a market (which can be time-consuming and difficult). or approach it differently than a direct market.

Approaching service providers to this niche can be a good first start but certainly not a business model you can control or rely on with any consistency. However, they could be decent first starting point.

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want psychic readings from a magician? Having the proper congruency would be important here. Perspectives must align.

Where are you taking this on the road?

I think there could be a good packaging to this target niche if created properly, which may require some tweaking from what you may be thinking. What is your true knowledge of this targeted niche? This would be one of the keys for sure.

Best of luck and keep us posted as to your progress.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2020, Bernice wrote:
Quote:
Good luck with it.

Thank you. Any advice?

A lot but I'm learning more and more to keep it to myself so as not to offend.

Don't worry the local foremost authorities will be along in a moment to give you all sorts of advice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bernice
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bernice
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Very interesting. I see a couple of concerns with what you are attempting but believe these two things could be addressed and dealt with with the right understanding and perspective.

One of the immediate problems I see is what you are targeting is not an actual market. It is more of a niche than anything.

I agree that the psychic-service-buying affluent market is, indeed, quite niche.

Quote:
Approaching service providers to this niche can be a good first start but certainly not a business model you can control or rely on with any consistency. However, they could be decent first starting point.

I got the idea from Dan Kennedy re: referrals. I want to focus more on creating deeper relationships with potential clients. Build trust. Have them suggest me to their peer group without the need for something tacky like a referral program. Just good old word-of-mouth.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want psychic readings from a magician? Having the proper congruency would be important here. Perspectives must align.

I call it magic. Magicians would call it mentalism. To bring a bit of magic into our lives.

Quote:
Where are you taking this on the road?

My dream: the world! Metropolises and vacation locales of the rich and famous.

Quote:
I think there could be a good packaging to this target niche if created properly, which may require some tweaking from what you may be thinking.

What angle would you take?

Quote:
What is your true knowledge of this targeted niche? This would be one of the keys for sure.

I have served the affluent my whole working life. My critical flaw has been the lack of networking within this market. I have a few clients with whom I will try to develop a deeper relationship, as described above.

Quote:
Best of luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

Thank you.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No don't let it be! (You took out your "that's disconcerting" post LOL.) So that was what I am answering.

I do not mean I would offend you per se. I think you are genuinely asking questions in an attempt to learn. I doubt you would take much offense, though I do see several flaws in the approach.

These things on this forum become SUCH a ridiculous contest of ego that they are just not worth pursuing because those who have no experience in this will chime in quite loudly. I am just tired of it is all.

I will tell you this. You don't even seem to have a target market for your idea. "Affluent" people come in all flavors. Some of those will like what you do and some will not. The "affluent" market is not a static market and do not all act alike. THIS is the biggest flaw people have and the biggest misconception among those who do not work for high end clients. You can not think of it as just one market. It is many markets all tied into one and missing this point will cause you to spend a LOT of time money and effort all in vein.

There are a ton of ways to get into markets like this without the silly affiliate programs. Most "affluent" people wouldn't care a bit about a $100 reward for telling someone. (Another fatal flaw with that sort of plan.) Word of mouth is the most effective form of advertising, and the most affordable.

Do you have any materials, web pages, videos or the like? How have you branded this thing? What sets you apart from everyone else who wants to work for "affluent" people?

If you want to send a PM I can give a bit more insight. I will now turn this over to the local foremost authorities.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:

That would depend on some variables and your specifics. Where are you located? Are you in the states?
Bernice
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bernice
Quote:
No don't let it be! (You took out your "that's disconcerting" post LOL.) So that was what I am answering.

I do not mean I would offend you per se. I think you are genuinely asking questions in an attempt to learn. I doubt you would take much offense, though I do see several flaws in the approach.

These things on this forum become SUCH a ridiculous contest of ego that they are just not worth pursuing because those who have no experience in this will chime in quite loudly. I am just tired of it is all.

I will tell you this. You don't even seem to have a target market for your idea. "Affluent" people come in all flavors. Some of those will like what you do and some will not. The "affluent" market is not a static market and do not all act alike. THIS is the biggest flaw people have and the biggest misconception among those who do not work for high end clients. You can not think of it as just one market. It is many markets all tied into one and missing this point will cause you to spend a LOT of time money and effort all in vein.

There are a ton of ways to get into markets like this without the silly affiliate programs. Most "affluent" people wouldn't care a bit about a $100 reward for telling someone. (Another fatal flaw with that sort of plan.) Word of mouth is the most effective form of advertising, and the most affordable.

Do you have any materials, web pages, videos or the like? How have you branded this thing? What sets you apart from everyone else who wants to work for "affluent" people?

If you want to send a PM I can give a bit more insight. I will now turn this over to the local foremost authorities.

I deleted my "That's disconcerting." post as I had my wires crossed and thought you were suggesting the local police force was bearing down on me!

I'll PM you for those insights of yours.

Quote:
On Jun 30, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:

That would depend on some variables and your specifics. Where are you located? Are you in the states?

Currently, no. I am in the Netherlands. I would love to travel back to the USA. California, Nevada.. Ooh wee. Wonderful memories.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I should categorically state that any insight I'd have would probably be of quite little use in the Netherlands.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I don’t have any experience in psychic shows or the “affluent” market.

But I think this post by Danny needs to be read by everybody about 5 times -

"Affluent" people come in all flavors. Some of those will like what you do and some will not. The "affluent" market is not a static market and do not all act alike. THIS is the biggest flaw people have and the biggest misconception among those who do not work for high end clients. You can not think of it as just one market. It is many markets all tied into one and missing this point will cause you to spend a LOT of time money and effort all in vein.

There are a ton of ways to get into markets like this without the silly affiliate programs. Most "affluent" people wouldn't care a bit about a $100 reward for telling someone. (Another fatal flaw with that sort of plan.) Word of mouth is the most effective form of advertising, and the most affordable.”

And this part about 20 more times lol -
“Word of mouth is the most effective form of advertising, and the most affordable.”
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2384 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I always wish anyone luck in any endeavor. That being said, I have generally found that the "affluent" market (if anything can be defined as that) is where you end up, not where you start out.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
I always wish anyone luck in any endeavor. That being said, I have generally found that the "affluent" market (if anything can be defined as that) is where you end up, not where you start out.

Bingo.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3877 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I have spent a lot of time -- particularly in my early years as a performer -- trying to figure this out.

Maybe my experiments will save you some time.

It seemed to me that, in order to get affluent clients, I needed to go where the affluent people went. So I did. First I targeted several high end hotels and met with the banquet people, hoping that they would be able to suggestively sell me to their clients...or at least provide an introduction. This had a very limited success rate. Despite the quality of the property, I soon figured out that the clients I wanted to reach already had their plans in place. Nearly all worked through meeting planners or in-house events people.

THEN I went full bore on the high end meeting planners. Over the years I've built great relationships with several...and it's an ongoing VERY SLOW process over 20 years later.

So I sat and thought about it. I knew from past experience that shows -- even shows done for the 'affluent' -- that were done at a reduced rate for 'exposure' were absolute failures. Discounting your product to the affluent actually hurts you. Many are firm believers in "You get what you pay for."

After a while I hit upon approaching the high end golf and country clubs. I was able to interest one of them into using me for a Valentine's party they had planned. I didn't reduce my price but I did make other concessions. It paid off very well. In that first year I got a total of five different shows over the next year from that one performance. (I consider that a win.) I continue to court several of these properties even now.

My very best advice is find out where the affluent people in your market go...and go there. But go there PREPARED.

Two admittedly unsolicited pieces of advice:

1) Have a crystal clear idea of what you are marketing -- what product YOU ARE -- BEFORE you approach the market. Mindpro made a great point when he asked who would want a reading from a magician. See you through the eyes of the potential client. If you are not absolutely clear about what you are selling, the client will be confused. Confused clients don't buy.

2) As Danny said: there is no 'affluent.' I lucked out a little with my golf and country club...but my reasoning was that -- since it was very expensive to be a member there, I could expect to see affluent clients there. The fact of the matter is that I am not only hunting the affluent...they, as a group, do me no good at all. I am hunting the affluent BUYER. This is a much narrower market segment.

I've been full time since May of 1980. I learned very early on that the KEY to accessing my market was in taking good care of my existing clients. I have a simple database that allows me to track each client and each prospective client. I have notes about their shows and organizations...but I also have personal notes about them and I reference those notes prior to having a conversation with them. Given that you have a great product (because the whole proposition is a waste of time if you don't) -- existing clients can have the single greatest impact on moving forward with your career. It goes way beyond their references. They can refer you to people they know. I've had existing clients contact prospective clients and tell them what a great job I did for them. That carries a lot of weight.

Simply put:

Define who you are as a performer: a magician? A psychic? A mentalist? Something else?

Define what product you offer -- and by this I mean: "What problem does my show solve for my client...what's in it for HIM/HER?"

Create solid marketing materials.

Create a well thought out business plan.

Set reasonable goals.

Execute that plan and be prepared to make adjustments as needed.

Be alert for possible clients ALL the time...and be equally alert in finding people you can create a relationship that will allow you to both help each other. In the summer I do grandstand shows at fairs because the corporate market is very slow. I found myself often at the same event as a hypnotist and I made a point of getting to know him. We struck up a friendship. I referred some business to him and he to me. That's not unusual...but he called me last fall about a six booking string of appearances for a corporate client all over Canada and we did it together. Quite lucrative. Other performers can help you...but often you need to help them first.

ALWAYS keep your word and be known for dealing with integrity with clients as well as other performers. This sets you apart from the pikers.

I hope this is helpful.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, David Thiel wrote:
It seemed to me that, in order to get affluent clients, I needed to go where the affluent people went. So I did. First I targeted several high end hotels and met with the banquet people, hoping that they would be able to suggestively sell me to their clients...or at least provide an introduction. This had a very limited success rate. Despite the quality of the property, I soon figured out that the clients I wanted to reach already had their plans in place. Nearly all worked through meeting planners or in-house events people.

THEN I went full bore on the high end meeting planners. Over the years I've built great relationships with several...and it's an ongoing VERY SLOW process over 20 years later.

This is the kind of stuff that seems to be in every magic marketing course, and is quite poor advice. It actually is very much magicians thinking based on the magicians (and mentalists) default approach to booking and business. There are many things wrong with this approach yet it is what almost every single one will tell you to do.

The problem with magician's default approach to business like this is you are always chasing after the next booking. You do the shows and you are back to looking for the next next booking. This leads to magicians and mentalists that have been doing this 30, 40, 50, 60 years or more that are STILL operating the same way and doing the same thing. They've struggled their entire careers. A few moments in time they were up, yet they frequently are down as much if not more times than that. Then when economy problems hit they are the first ones to complain and are affected the most. They always have excuses and justifications they believe for this. It's crazy. Look at many clubs, groups, and associations for performers that operate the same way. Many need an entertainment business consultant to create the real and proper perspective to move into the future and to really better serve their members. This is why performers helping performers is s a poor business model, because what it often really amounts to is the blind, limited, and struggling trying to offer advice and guidance to the blind, limited, and struggling. Look at the COVID19 thing we are experiencing. Most are losing money by the week. Some are gasping for anything and have lowered themselves to doing these silly and mostly terrible Zoom shows just for a buck. Yet others that understand this are making hundreds to thousands a week, of course, using a different business model.

The reality of the situation is this default business model is designed to get you started as a performer but not designed for long-term sustainable success and earning an executive living. I can almost assure you those that are making this level of living as a performer almost assuredly have adopted a different, more favorable, and financially sound business model.

The other things that are wrong with this approach to the affluent niche is most approach these types of bookings as a consumer market when most people of this stature are in or affiliated with professional markers (not consumer markets), therefore the real approach to the affluent is approaching it on a professional market level. This is the first step. Then as mentioned by several of us, is thinking, creating, and operating from their position and perspective. These two things are just the beginning but targeting this group without this is only getting sporadic bookings here and there at best. There is so much more, but this would be my first immediate thought towards any affluent targeting and business approach (no, not just marketing.)
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Thanks for that amazing post David. It’s great to hear such great advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The affluent market. (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL