The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The affluent market. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Well Said David. Excellent Post.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There are a LOT of problems with how magicians approach this type of work and a good deal of them have been highlighted in this thread.

First of all everyone wants to take advice from those who never managed to accomplish working for this segment of the population and don't listen to those who do. Kind of silly but that is the magic world.

So many mistakes are made but to highlight some of the larger ones I'd say Ray nailed one. You get there eventually, it is a journey.

Also define what you mean by affluent snuggie. You could make a million a year in New York and not really be considered affluent at all. Not being able to define your market is disastrous.

Are you trying to get directly to those people or are you working through someone who can get to them for you? The approach is drastically different.

What do you offer that isn't already quite easily attainable? Perhaps the biggest misstep I see in this journey.

Are you "always selling" or "always on"? If so be prepared to have a LOT of open calendar. People in this position have others selling to them CONSTANTLY. It automatically puts up a defensive reaction and annoys them. And it you can't put away your act and just be a person it creates some trust issues. You won't be hired if they don't like you and if they don't know you how can they like you?

Nobody in this market is looking for the best deal. In Maslow's pyramid it is about something else isn't it? Selling on price is a HUGE mistake.

Another BIG mistake guys make is the harder it is to get toy, the more they want you. Also econ 101 tells us the more of a thing there are the less value each individual thing is. Be rare.

Combine this with "how can I miss you if you won't go away". If you can start to see why those things ADD value you might be starting to figure it out.

Here is the hardest part that nobody seems to understand. Where ELSE can they see you? If you do OTHER things that are clearly not high end it is over for you in that market. ALL that stuff you did and felt the need to brag about all over the internet well bite you in the fanny hard. Don't forget this is about status and the guy at Applebees every family night doesn't really provide that sorry.

Which brings me to my last point about confidentiality. Many people of means really want to be private and if they get the idea that you are going to post pictures as "social proof" again prepare for open calendar. Yes that page of you with lots of celebrities may actually work AGAINST YOU! Until you can elevate THEIR STATUS it is not always smart.

This is the only market I have been in for the past decade plus. It is not something you get out of magic marketing courses. I have yet to see one that will actually help. Just send me $10,000 and in a year you may be on your way. This is the tip of the iceberg.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9904 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
POW! Really well said! When I said there was much more to this after the two points I made above, this is exactly some of which I was referring to.

So much of how magicians and mentalists approach business really works against them, yet when trying to explain this or identify this they get defensive, close-minded, and stop hearing the message and start attacking the messenger.

Danny's high-end worldwide resorts are a prime example of this. Again a professional market, approached and served entirely differently and typical magic/mentalism operations. Typical magicians' marketing mindset and techniques will not work. They can't as they will work against you in so many ways. This is what I too was expressing in my previous post.

What David described was how difficult it is doing it this way that after 20 years of a continual process it only ends up with inconsistent, sporadic, minimal results. Part of the reason is in those examples you do not have control of the process, it is completely dependent on other's efforts. That is not an element of a business model I want to be part of.

All of this, high-end or not, struggling with COVID19, the collapse of the economy, is a business and operational issue, plain and simple. It's only a factor if your business models allow this in to impact your business. Those that do are having problems and great concerns, those that don't are doing fine. This is why back in March when so many were coming to me asking my thoughts on this, my advice, and just a couple of weeks later after losing bookings and income, I had the biggest influx of coaching and consulting inquiries in my 35 years of doing this. I said that this is an "opportunity" for several things and the first is to reevaluate your business model and take this time to make some adjustments if necessary or needed. And this is not just performers as I have has entertainment venues, agencies, and associations also consulting with me as to how to adapt, progress, stay relevant, and exist during these times, and what will be happening on the other side of this thing. Opportunities are everywhere if you are looking through the right set of eyes and mindset is what I was trying to offer.

This was a great post from David but for highlighting what really hasn't worked or only minimally works in even good economic times and to create this awareness to someone just starting to consider or approach this situation. Don't discount, don't do just for exposure and expect any kind of serious results, Golf & Country Cubs yielded just 5 bookings (great example as I hear this approach also in many courses too), it's not affluent people it's the buyers and bookers, clarity before going to market, etc. Very good general advice but much is missing. High-end bookers and buyers know their audiencem] and they don't use consumer market approaches and sources. If you are going to operate on just a surface level you will only get a smattering of bookings/results at best and usually feel it wasn't worth the effort. Either way, it is not a business model for affluent targeting.

Plus no one has even yet mentioned working for the affluent and performing for this audience is much different than what you might expect and other audiences magicians and mentalists typically perform for.

Yes, if someone is serious about this, this is only the tip of the iceberg.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The worst part is everything you do PRIOR to trying to get into that market can work AGAINST you getting into that market.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
The worst part is everything you do PRIOR to trying to get into that market can work AGAINST you getting into that market.

Copperfield did birthday parties.
Penn & Teller did Renaissance festivals.
Lance Burton performed his dove act at strip clubs.

Of course... that was a different time... Before Internet!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2020, thomasR wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

Copperfield did birthday parties.
Penn & Teller did Renaissance festivals.
Lance Burton performed his dove act at strip clubs.

Of course... that was a different time... Before Internet!

Those you mention has a reputation that speaks for itself. Most don’t have that, so they have to wait for years or enter a different door.

Most people understand that many magicians started with magic at an early age and worked their way up to where they are now. But experience in magic alone is not always enough to satisfy some potential clients. Those who also have a background somewhat similar to the client will have an advantage with getting in the door. In other words they prefer people who can speak their language. It pays to understand the market you entering, not just the magic market.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Of course it is close.

“Who You Are” is as important as “What You Do”

To become better at what you do, you need to become better at who you are.

A jerk that does perfect card tricks is still a jerk. Smile

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Talent is cheap, a dime a dozen as they say.

A jerk will remain a jerk because its hard to hide it.

But the perception of an ordinary person having the ability to do extra ordinary things is priceless.

A good performer will make the audience feel like they are somebody worth knowing.

But yes a jerk can hide for awhile behind an agent who does all the talking for him.

Just make sure your agent is a likeable person, because it is a fact honey will catch more flies than vinegar.

Anyway, that's my lesson for the day. Take it or leave it.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Producers and Promoters also could care less about this as well. As long as they execute what they'be been hired to do, as the success of the event or production is their real concern.

This has not been true in my experiences.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2020, TomBoleware wrote:
Talent is cheap, a dime a dozen as they say.

A jerk will remain a jerk because its hard to hide it.

But the perception of an ordinary person having the ability to do extra ordinary things is priceless.

A good performer will make the audience feel like they are somebody worth knowing.

But yes a jerk can hide for awhile behind an agent who does all the talking for him.

Just make sure your agent is a likeable person, because it is a fact honey will catch more flies than vinegar.

Anyway, that's my lesson for the day. Take it or leave it.

Tom

Ridiculous.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2020, thomasR wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Producers and Promoters also could care less about this as well. As long as they execute what they'be been hired to do, as the success of the event or production is their real concern.

This has not been true in my experiences.

How many clients do you regularly work for in this exact market?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The affluent market. (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL