The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Solo Prediction byDavis Gotti -at Hocus Pocus (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
davidgatti
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of davidgatti
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2020, magicinsight wrote:
Is there a way to write the answers so that the answers are in different parts of the paper and not completely vertical?
Looks very good.

Thank you.
Michael

Hi Michael, no there is no way to have a 'FREE' choice on other areas...but you could use a forced element and place it anywhere Smile
victors911
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of victors911
Any reviews??
victors911
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of victors911
Someone have it or use? Smile)
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I bought Solo Prediction and it's true that you don't technically physically "touch" the envelope. However, what they fail to mention in the advertising blurb is that you'll require purchasing (or borrowing) an appropriate microphone stand (not included). To be perfectly transparent, when I received this I felt like I had been robbed at gunpoint...The materials supplied probably don't cost more than $10-15 and the tutorial was very sparse (around 20-minutes from memory) and there was only one "sample" routine idea mentioned. Worse, I could not "load" the envelope as taught in the tutorial without it looking obvious. It was not a "feel-good" purchase by any stretch. However, due to COVID-19 I had ample time to re-think the loading procedure and created my own that is more deceptive and better suits my needs. I somehow managed to salvage this from the scrap heap.

For what it's worth, Bill Abbott's "No Brainer" is way better in terms of entertainment, value, and method. The only knock on Abbott's is the set-up time is rather long (around 15-20 minutes of pre-show work). In fact, this was my motivation for buying Solo Prediction. I wanted something that could be set-up faster for lower-paying gigs. Solo Prediction does meet this criteria (around 5-minutes of set-up time).

If you buy this, I will almost guarantee that you're going to feel horrible about your purchase. However, now that I've worked-out my own original loading method I have decided to keep it and use it in a future show to see how it plays. Lastly, I should mention that the folded prediction is not well-suited for stage..This is more of a parlor or "small stage" effect due to the smallish 11" x 14" sheet of paper.
victors911
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of victors911
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2020, Jared wrote:
I bought Solo Prediction and it's true that you don't technically physically "touch" the envelope. However, what they fail to mention in the advertising blurb is that you'll require purchasing (or borrowing) an appropriate microphone stand (not included). To be perfectly transparent, when I received this I felt like I had been robbed at gunpoint...The materials supplied probably don't cost more than $10-15 and the tutorial was very sparse (around 20-minutes from memory) and there was only one "sample" routine idea mentioned. Worse, I could not "load" the envelope as taught in the tutorial without it looking obvious. It was not a "feel-good" purchase by any stretch. However, due to COVID-19 I had ample time to re-think the loading procedure and created my own that is more deceptive and better suits my needs. I somehow managed to salvage this from the scrap heap.

For what it's worth, Bill Abbott's "No Brainer" is way better in terms of entertainment, value, and method. The only knock on Abbott's is the set-up time is rather long (around 15-20 minutes of pre-show work). In fact, this was my motivation for buying Solo Prediction. I wanted something that could be set-up faster for lower-paying gigs. Solo Prediction does meet this criteria (around 5-minutes of set-up time).

If you buy this, I will almost guarantee that you're going to feel horrible about your purchase. However, now that I've worked-out my own original loading method I have decided to keep it and use it in a future show to see how it plays. Lastly, I should mention that the folded prediction is not well-suited for stage..This is more of a parlor or "small stage" effect due to the smallish 11" x 14" sheet of paper.

Thank u!!! Removed from my wish list Smile
davidgatti
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of davidgatti
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2020, Jared wrote:

Hello Jared,

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry you felt robbed. This is not what I would like to hear from Magicians who purchased Solo Prediction. My goal is to provide you with tools and a method that allow you to deliver an incredible prediction.

From my point of view the material provided is not the 'value', the effect is.

The idea of using the microphone stand to display the envelope came to me to maximize the amount of equipment we all travel with.
I felt the need to display the prediction the entire time and I wasn't a big fan of hanging the envelope by a table or other props...neither to rig a cable to hang it. I wanted to be totally self-sufficient.
I decided to go for the microphone stand because it's easy to find in any venue avoiding to bring extra prop in an otherwise already full luggage.

I don't provide routines, I provide the method and my routine. It's up to the performer to tailor based on their own needs. Like you did. For example, Comedy Magician will deliver it and perform it differently from my version for sure...etc.
Rest of fact that you are not linked to use a sequence of jokes or pre-written scripts and actions to deliver this effect. No pre-show work. You are TOTALY FREE to build your routine as you wish.

In regards of the the sheet of paper. The video shows a basic 11"x14" to display the folding method and says also to use a bigger size if you feel the need. I used 13"x20" in the past. The downside is that you will not find that size off the shelf and you will end up investing time in precutting your own from a bigger sheet. I performed this prediction in-front of audiences as large as 1000 spectators...multiple times. In my opinion, as long as the first 4-5 rows can confirm that you are not make it up you are covered. Also, I use a bold sharpie too and leave the sheet to the spectators in the first row.

Again, I'm sorry you felt robbed. I give great value to it because is practical, straight forward and for the 'real world'.

I wish you all the best, I'm sure that when you will perform it you will be happy to have it in your show.

David
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Hi David,
Thank you for replying back and I'm sorry if I my review was too harsh. In the end, I'm going to give it a try when performing is able to resume. As I said, there are a few things that I DID like about Solo Prediction including: (1) the fast reset (2) No "visible" contact with the envelope, and (3) the smallish size- being better suited for small stage/parlor. Thankfully, I was also able to choreograph a handling that better suited my needs.

My biggest complaint is the price vs. the value received. I realize this is entirely subjective and you have every right to charge whatever you feel is appropriate because you know how much time and effort went into making this release. The problem of course is that as a consumer we can't help but to compare purchases against similar options in the market like: Dream Prediction, No Brainer etc. I've owned them all. I also understand that you had production costs, materials to source, and that most of the profit is ultimately enjoyed by the distributor...It's a tough business to make money in unless you're selling direct.

I've had similar discussions about prices with magicians and we surmised that if you USE something regularly then it's worth every penny regardless of price especially with stage magic where finding solid workable material can be difficult. I hope that Solo Prediction eventually 'sizzles' in my shows and that I'll feel wonderful about my purchase.

Wishing you the best success with future releases and again I'm sorry if my criticism was too sharp.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
If you elect to re-release this product as a second batch you may want to consider increasing the selling price to $300, BUT including the following items:

1 x Tripod Boom Microphone stand
1 x 11" x 14" pad + the sample prediction
6 x Envelopes
1 x Microphone holder
1 x Special holder
1 x Velvet Carrying bag for holders
1 x Small booklet of 3-6 routine ideas
1 x Link to download

This is the "Bill Abbott" approach to marketing magic. Everything is complete and ready-to-use right out of the box- nothing else to purchase.
davidgatti
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of davidgatti
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2020, Jared wrote:
If you elect to re-release this product as a second batch you may want to consider increasing the selling price to $300, BUT including the following items:

1 x Tripod Boom Microphone stand
1 x 11" x 14" pad + the sample prediction
6 x Envelopes
1 x Microphone holder
1 x Special holder
1 x Velvet Carrying bag for holders
1 x Small booklet of 3-6 routine ideas
1 x Link to download

This is the "Bill Abbott" approach to marketing magic. Everything is complete and ready-to-use right out of the box- nothing else to purchase.

Thank you. I will definitely keep it in mind.
mistervader
View Profile
New user
Manila
29 Posts

Profile of mistervader
I take it this is incredibly similar to Paul Romhany's take on the exact same effect?

My main plus for Romhany's version is of course the fact that the envelope has a transparent section that lets the audience see the prediction in plain view. How does this compare in terms of convincers like that?
- Kel Fabie
davidgatti
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of davidgatti
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2020, mistervader wrote:
I take it this is incredibly similar to Paul Romhany's take on the exact same effect?

My main plus for Romhany's version is of course the fact that the envelope has a transparent section that lets the audience see the prediction in plain view. How does this compare in terms of convincers like that?

Hello and thank you for your message.
I have Paul's Dream Vision and I can guarantee it's different. I never performed it but Dream Vision has great ideas.

A. In Paul's routine you have to take the envelope in your hands before opening it. In my version you don't have to. I developed gimmicks and misdirection to allow you to do your dirty job in full view without ever touch the envelope.
B. The folding is different. Bigger with up to 6 elements spread in the sheet. Dream Prediction forces you to have an audience member to read the prediction because it's small and it needs to be verified by a spectator. Solo Prediction doesn't have this problem. It's big enough to deliver the 'read' yourself. In my experience I found this to be particularly important. It's the most powerful moment of the effect, the delivery of the message...and you are 100% in control of it not leaving the chance to be ruined by anyone.
As an addition you can have the envelope with transparent window if you want to. It would probably reinforce the illusion. I didn't include on my explanations because it's not my idea.

With this I don't want to say that my version is better or worst...just that is different.

If you have any other question please I'll be happy to answer.
mistervader
View Profile
New user
Manila
29 Posts

Profile of mistervader
Thanks for this greatly, David! I'll definitely have this effect in my shortlist at the very least.

Another question in this brave new world we currently are in: how well does this effect play in a Zoom show, meaning, I'm performing for an online audience in the middle of a Zoom meeting?
- Kel Fabie
davidgatti
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of davidgatti
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2020, mistervader wrote:
Thanks for this greatly, David! I'll definitely have this effect in my shortlist at the very least.

Another question in this brave new world we currently are in: how well does this effect play in a Zoom show, meaning, I'm performing for an online audience in the middle of a Zoom meeting?

Happy Monday!

I think you could adapt it to a Zoom Show but honestly it is more suited for stage performance. The loading process uses a misdirection based on dynamics that would happen only with a 'real' audience in front of you..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Solo Prediction byDavis Gotti -at Hocus Pocus (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL