The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Spelling Stacks (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

effkay
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of effkay
Hi everyone,

Can you please point me to your favourite spelling stacks? Essentially, I want to be able to get to a stack where a spectator names a card and I can spell to it from the top of the deck. Naturally, there will be outs etc that need to be incorporated (e.g. just having a 6 at the sixth position etc)

Any pointers appreciated.

Does anyone do this kind of effect?

I guess you could argue that it’s a weak form of mnemonicosis.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
For his Infinity Stack, Tim Conover worked out spelling for all but the top two cards. Sometimes you're spelling from the top; other times you're spelling from the bottom. It the most comprehensive I've seen for anything that isn't just cards ordered one-by-one specifically for that purpose. An added benefit is that it's very easy to get into from a new deck or a shuffled deck without having to set up the cards one-by-one (and it's a real stack with lots of other properties, the ability to go to Stebbins and utilize all those built-in effects, etc.). The down-side, of course, is the availability of the information.
effkay
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of effkay
Thanks. That sounds perfect....sadly it remains elusive from what I gather!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6592 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Try the Impossible- Aronson
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4903 Posts

Profile of landmark
There's a thread somewhere, from a few years ago, I think in this section, where a bunch of us together worked out ways to spell to a goodly number of cards in the Aronson stack. I'll see if I can find it again. One of the dodges was to cut in the middle and then do the spelling from either half stack face up or face down.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4903 Posts

Profile of landmark
For those who do Aronson, in my two posts in this old thread, I talk about spelling to a total of 22 cards--without using the half stack idea:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=205
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4903 Posts

Profile of landmark
There's also a very clever spelling stack in John Bannon's Dear Mr Fantasy. I forget the name of the effect, but I'm sure someone here will know the effect I'm talking about.
dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2020, landmark wrote:
There's a thread somewhere, from a few years ago, I think in this section, where a bunch of us together worked out ways to spell to a goodly number of cards in the Aronson stack. I'll see if I can find it again. One of the dodges was to cut in the middle and then do the spelling from either half stack face up or face down.

Wasn't there a similar post for mnemonica spelling? I thought I remember hearing of one but never found it. If there isn't one and anyone wants to collaborate to make one, I've already done a bunch of work in this regard and would be happy to collaborate.
effkay
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of effkay
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I’m using the mnemonica stack so would love to be guided to a thread if it exists?

If not, then happy to collaborate with you to think of all the ways we could do so.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4903 Posts

Profile of landmark
I just published this, Spelling to ANY Named Card. It's for the Aronson stack, but it might inspire you with ideas for Mnemonica. It's a pandemic freebie:

https://jackshalom.net/2020/07/16/under-......lled-to/
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4903 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here's the Mnemonica version. I think the spells work out even better for Mnemonica than for Aronson. They name any card and, with a little coaching, they spell to it.

https://jackshalom.net/2020/07/21/remembrance-of-cards-past/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Spelling Stacks (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL