The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Sleightless stacked work (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
effkay
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of effkay
Hi all,

Really getting into stacked deck work now and want to know everyone’s favourite sleightless effects. I can start wit ha few but any suggestions welcome!

* Simple Divination (1 or many)
* Mnemonicosis (Although I’m still getting this perfected)
* Card Sense (Ortiz)
* Core (Pit Hartling)

Some that require simple sleights that I really like:
* Aronson Invisible card
* Test your luck (Ortiz) - although I sometimes blow cull and go into something else
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Routined Arith-Mate-ic, Denis Behr in his Handcraft Card Magic vol. 3 book.

Mark
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Zen Master by Darwin Ortiz, a wonderful effect. You can find Zen Master in the great book: Scams and Fantasies with cards.
PaulPosition
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of PaulPosition
I suppose you are looking for effects that aren't stack dependent.

TWAIN, by Patrick Redford, is one I very much like. From his book 'Temporarily Out Of Order'.
dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
I like using the deck for a Q+A. If you can secretly force or obtain a piece of information, you can ask questions that are answered yes or no as you/spectator deal cards from the stack. Red for No, Black for Yes or vice versa. Since you're familiar with the order as they're dealt, you can ask the questions with the answer in mind and work yourself or the group towards a revelation.
You can also have the deck cut every few questions and ask something silly like "am I as good looking as I think I am," or whatever suits your style. Any answer will get a chuckle and you'll immediately know your place in the deck again to keep going.

I use this with either a center tear or a book test reveal. Its loads of fun and you can keep most of the order of your stack if you'd like after.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2020, dclxvinyc wrote:
I like using the deck for a Q+A..

Okay, this was *** impressive and has never occurred to me to do. A lot to unpack in such a simple premise, too. Thanks!
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Hi effkay,

You might like:

There is definitely plenty of sleight-light material to get you started in Mnemonica (2004)
Ramon Rioboo material is worthy of your time, and is full of sleight-light routines.
The section on Mind-reading with a Memorized Deck found in The Devil's Staircase (2014) and the routine Pure and Simple in the same chapter.
Also, A.C.A.A.N. from Details of Deception (2017) is essentially sleight-less, and is very simple from a mental gymnastics point of view also. From the same book That Old Trick is essentially sleight free, The Stranger principle has sleight free variations and Sneaky Three also fits the bill.

I hope that helps.
Greg
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
effkay
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of effkay
Thanks @chappy. I’ll take a look into it. I’ve never seen any of his work before.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

When I first read the original question, effects along the lines of Mr. Chapman's "Pure and Simple" (posted above) came immediately to mind. While there are some others out there (Stone's Etude, Riobóo's Five Senses, etc.) I've found the two best resources are indeed "Pure and Simple" in The Devil's Staircase (along with all the surrounding write-up material he's got on it in his "Mind Reading with a Memorized Deck" section), and Jan Forster's "Under Test Conditions" which he performs and explains in his "Jan Forster Live" Penguin Magic video (pay special attention to the explanation version, as it's different and far better than performance version.)

This type of routine has never failed to impress, and is ripe for riffing and/or taking each individual's reveal into different territory as a stand-alone effect.
brianconnor
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of brianconnor
Matt Baker's Card College
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, brianconnor wrote:

This one is a masterpiece!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2020, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
... and Jan Forster's "Under Test Conditions" which he performs and explains in his "Jan Forster Live" Penguin Magic video (pay special attention to the explanation version, as it's different and far better than performance version.)

This type of routine has never failed to impress, and is ripe for riffing and/or taking each individual's reveal into different territory as a stand-alone effect.

True, but sometimes it (or everything!) is also a question of context. The performance version is quicker, that why I have chosen it there Smile ... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Fredzik
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Fredzik
Vincent Hedan is just releasing Automatic Routines with Mnemonica in his Amnesia Project (Book + videos):

https://magic.vincenthedan.com/products/amnesia#

Part of this material was released in the past in pdf and I must say it is very good.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 10, 2020, JanForster wrote:
True, but sometimes it (or everything!) is also a question of context. The performance version is quicker, that why I have chosen it there Smile ... Jan

Good point! Obviously, one being "better" is definitely subjective (and they're both great, as it is). Regardless of the version preferred, folks should watch this effect and have it in their repertoire.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Lie Detector- Trost.
Spell of the Spectator- Krenzel.
Do as I Did- Ortiz
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
There are so many things you can accomplish with a stacked deck that require no sleights. Weighing the cards, ‘memory’ demonstrations. One idea I came up with is you start off with your deck stacked in whatever stack you use. I tell the spectator I’m thinking of a card (I don’t name the card yet). I ask a spectator to cut the cards anywhere and complete the cut, take the top card, place it in front of them face down and cover it with their hand. The rest of the deck goes in the card box (glimpsing the bottom card as the deck goes in the box). Now you know what card they took, you simply name the one that comes after the card you glimpsed. Now it’s a simple matter of naming the card you were ‘thinking of’ and see if they cut to it, as if the spectator did the magic. Believe me, I’ve gotten very strong reactions for this simple effect.
The possibilities are endless.
Kassim
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kassim
Mnemonica with a makred deck lets you do tons of hands off effects Smile
WayneBurrows
View Profile
New user
Palmerston North, New Zealand
72 Posts

Profile of WayneBurrows
Quote:

Is there a video or description (not explanation) of this effect somewhere accessible.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
It is in his fabulous book "The Buena Vista Shuffle Club". Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
brianconnor
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of brianconnor
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2021, WayneBurrows wrote:
Quote:

Is there a video or description (not explanation) of this effect somewhere accessible.

The premise is that you went to card college and explain the different things you need to do to get your bachelor's, master's, and phd. For a bachelor's degree, estimation is really important, so you have a spectator cut off about half the cards and you tell them exactly how many cards they cut.

For a master's degree, they require you to have a spectator shuffle, so you have them riffle shuffle the cards. Then you demonstrate what's called blind estimation. They again cut off about half, but this time with your back turned, and hide their cards in their pocket so you can't see them. If you were to turn around, you might be able to estimate how many cards are left and subtract that from 52 to figure out what they have, so you have them cut about half of what's left, hand it to you, and put the rest in the card box.

Impossibly, you are able to tell them exactly how many cards they have in their pocket.

For your phd, you have to do what's called rapid memorization. At this point, you have seen the faces of all the cards, except for the ones in the card box. You turn around, they take out the cards, and you name every single one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Sleightless stacked work (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL