We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Sleightless stacked work (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

effkay
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of effkay
Hi all,

Really getting into stacked deck work now and want to know everyone’s favourite sleightless effects. I can start wit ha few but any suggestions welcome!

* Simple Divination (1 or many)
* Mnemonicosis (Although I’m still getting this perfected)
* Card Sense (Ortiz)
* Core (Pit Hartling)

Some that require simple sleights that I really like:
* Aronson Invisible card
* Test your luck (Ortiz) - although I sometimes blow cull and go into something else
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1087 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Routined Arith-Mate-ic, Denis Behr in his Handcraft Card Magic vol. 3 book.

Mark
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4928 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Zen Master by Darwin Ortiz, a wonderful effect. You can find Zen Master in the great book: Scams and Fantasies with cards.
PaulPosition
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of PaulPosition
I suppose you are looking for effects that aren't stack dependent.

TWAIN, by Patrick Redford, is one I very much like. From his book 'Temporarily Out Of Order'.
dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
I like using the deck for a Q+A. If you can secretly force or obtain a piece of information, you can ask questions that are answered yes or no as you/spectator deal cards from the stack. Red for No, Black for Yes or vice versa. Since you're familiar with the order as they're dealt, you can ask the questions with the answer in mind and work yourself or the group towards a revelation.
You can also have the deck cut every few questions and ask something silly like "am I as good looking as I think I am," or whatever suits your style. Any answer will get a chuckle and you'll immediately know your place in the deck again to keep going.

I use this with either a center tear or a book test reveal. Its loads of fun and you can keep most of the order of your stack if you'd like after.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2020, dclxvinyc wrote:
I like using the deck for a Q+A..

Okay, this was *** impressive and has never occurred to me to do. A lot to unpack in such a simple premise, too. Thanks!
chappy
View Profile
Special user
709 Posts

Profile of chappy
Hi effkay,

You might like:

There is definitely plenty of sleight-light material to get you started in Mnemonica (2004)
Ramon Rioboo material is worthy of your time, and is full of sleight-light routines.
The section on Mind-reading with a Memorized Deck found in The Devil's Staircase (2014) and the routine Pure and Simple in the same chapter.
Also, A.C.A.A.N. from Details of Deception (2017) is essentially sleight-less, and is very simple from a mental gymnastics point of view also. From the same book That Old Trick is essentially sleight free, The Stranger principle has sleight free variations and Sneaky Three also fits the bill.

I hope that helps.
Greg
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
effkay
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of effkay
Thanks @chappy. I’ll take a look into it. I’ve never seen any of his work before.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
When I first read the original question, effects along the lines of Mr. Chapman's "Pure and Simple" (posted above) came immediately to mind. While there are some others out there (Stone's Etude, Riobóo's Five Senses, etc.) I've found the two best resources are indeed "Pure and Simple" in The Devil's Staircase (along with all the surrounding write-up material he's got on it in his "Mind Reading with a Memorized Deck" section), and Jan Forster's "Under Test Conditions" which he performs and explains in his "Jan Forster Live" Penguin Magic video (pay special attention to the explanation version, as it's different and far better than performance version.)

This type of routine has never failed to impress, and is ripe for riffing and/or taking each individual's reveal into different territory as a stand-alone effect.
brianconnor
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of brianconnor
Matt Baker's Card College
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1087 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, brianconnor wrote:
Matt Baker's Card College

This one is a masterpiece!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Sleightless stacked work (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL