The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Thank you, so much... (520 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..22..25..28..31..32~33~34 [Next]
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
True words Mb217. I also met Ali. He liked magic (to a degree) but his thumbs were too big for the thumb-tip. But what a sense of humor.
Nev Blenk
View Profile
Regular user
Northumberland UK
127 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Often wonder what became of David Arthur ? He had some great material in Coin Magic (Kaufman).
Coin & Box - book available directly from me.
https://youtu.be/kAxQ6GRU-RI
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Speaking of David Arthur & Kaufman… Smile

*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hu??? Yeah, that’s what I mean…So much good coin magic, so little time. Smile

There’s so much out there and a good bit of it can happen without a single word, as the actions tell a magical story…and again from the big, small & all of us. Simply beautiful…

*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
It’s always a good time to hear a good word from a real Master. Smile

Here, I believe are two effects so well placed together that they are all the complete coin set that you would need to be considered miraculous and amazing. Learn these well and you learn everything else you need to know as to good, effective coin magic.

Some things just go so well together and give a sense of real completeness. This is one of those things, sheer perfection that is well within the grasp of us all…but don’t just take my word on it… Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
So happy to be reminded of this brilliant magician. I can remember long ago watching this and appreciating how much more it was than just excellent coin magic. I mean, what can be better than “Excellent?” Well, all you have to do is watch this guy and you’ll see some of the very best uses of misdirection there is. And he’ll do it to you over and over again and you’ll be just as amazed. Oh, and it’s in French, but you’ll see that that really doen’t matter when you’re speaking the language of magic. From way back then to now, still an unbelievable presentation that surprises you at every turn behind some good old coin magic…WOW!!! Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
So, while I like great coin tricks, the classic plots, handlings, etc., I really like when “less is more,” especially when it comes to coin magic. Here is an exceptional example of what you can do with just “1” coin. No, it’s not a traditional One Coin Routine as you might think, it’s something less and more. Watch how he does a tremendous audience encompassing presentation with just one coin, a half dollar, a silver coin, a 50 cent piece… Smile

Like I’ve said here from time to time, sometimes it don’t take much…The guy in first don’t always win, and the guy all the way in the back don’t always lose…and I like it like that as it is what makes room for the big, small, and all of us in whatever race we run. Smile So, this is not anything from some supposed great and powerful Oz, or a giant in the art, or something complex of topflite SOH, in fact you might not have even heard of him. It wouldn’t surprise me because honestly I haven’t. But man, this couldn’t have happened to a nicer, more deserving guy. Enjoy! Smile

GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2022, Mb217 wrote:
So, while I like great coin tricks, the classic plots, handlings, etc., I really like when “less is more,” especially when it comes to coin magic. Here is an exceptional example of what you can do with just “1” coin. No, it’s not a traditional One Coin Routine as you might think, it’s something less and more. Watch how he does a tremendous audience encompassing presentation with just one coin, a half dollar, a silver coin, a 50 cent piece… Smile

Like I’ve said here from time to time, sometimes it don’t take much…The guy in first don’t always win, and the guy all the way in the back don’t always lose…and I like it like that as it is what makes room for the big, small, and all of us in whatever race we run. Smile So, this is not anything from some supposed great and powerful Oz, or a giant in the art, or something complex of topflite SOH, in fact you might not have even heard of him. It wouldn’t surprise me because honestly I haven’t. But man, this couldn’t have happened to a nicer, more deserving guy. Enjoy! Smile

I remember seeing that act. It was fantastic. Particularly because Penn loved it so much.

It takes considerable practice to have the cojones to do it on television for Penn & Teller, not to mention accepting Penn's challenge. Pressure's on!

It's a technique. Normal coin. Get it wrong once, though...

I suppose he has an out on the rare occasion that he does get it wrong.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2022, GJo wrote:

hummm. I hope this thinking is not common these days. For me, "having an out" means planning for failure.
(no to be confused with effects based on multiple result options)

As in general life, failing to achieve an objective should have consequences, else there is no learning.
Even planning an excuse (someone else to blame) plants the seed of failure in our mind and dilutes practice and focus.
Almost as bad is a pre-excuse like, "I have only tried this a few times - hope it works."

Often the notion of "does get it wrong" comes from performing under poor conditions or for an audience less than attentive/appreciative of magic.

Learn to say "no," along with practicing to automaticity. If something unusual occurs, just end that effect and move on.
Magic is supposed to be "inexplicable phenomenon."

Yes, I have had props break or jam, spectators steal/break items and drop coins from hand spasms. Whose fault? Mine alone.
Failure? Nope. Since my objective was to have each spectator leave with a memory of a "real experience of magic," I continued until that was met.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2022, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2022, GJo wrote:

hummm. I hope this thinking is not common these days. For me, "having an out" means planning for failure.
(no to be confused with effects based on multiple result options)

This is an interesting discussion.

My profession required copious study and planning, but I knew there would invariably be uncontrollable elements that could require adjusting the plan, so I had a plan B, and sometimes a plan C. Flexibility enabled success as did careful pre-planning.

So, when I mentioned an out, it was from a perspective of a plan B.

Perhaps I’m completely off base when it comes to performing magic, and if so I’m going to have to learn a different approach from one I used for nearly 40 years.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
As a business consultant for sixty years I also supported disaster planning and full use of Orchestration, Planning and Reporting technologies.
But a magic effect/presentation is not a business venture with something to sell, product to mold or investments to protect.

All of your planning experience can apply to Effect selection, Routine design, Script writing and practice to automaticity. You can even choose to "have and out" if you like.
But, in business, planning in a default bankruptcy plan is not a good strategy - in fact, often insures its likelihood. (opinion)

My objection is the assumption that someone else must follow your type of planning/preparedness.
Perhaps I avoid any "outs" because of my experience with over-planning.

Magic is a "house with many rooms." You do not "have to learn a different approach," - just be open to the reality of there being some. Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2022, funsway wrote:
My objection is the assumption that someone else must follow your type of planning/preparedness.

That’s an assumption you made.

I never stated anyone must follow my type of planning, nor did I state the performer on “Fool Us” must have either. I wrote that perhaps he had/has an out. Perhaps.

Maybe he has perfected the act so he never makes a mistake. If so, it’s even more impressive.

I was in the entertainment business and worked with differences of opinion, and aspects of uncontrollability. Orangutan, panther, sheep, dogs, snakes, birds among the uncontrollable (despite being trained). They sometimes did other than what I planned. So, Plan A always involved first completing the potentially uncontrollable aspect. Then proceeding.

Plan B sometimes helped. Especially handling unforeseen problems or creative differences (which occasionally resulted in a better product).

I offer it here only as perspective and background. No intention or suggestion that it applies to performing magic, or that anyone else should follow my process.

Thank you for your perspective. Much appreciated.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
He has an out indeed. Although it would be rare to need it. However, if doing the routine as such in the P and T segment, an audience member could trip you up, if they change their mind at the worse moment.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Happy New Years, guys…Abracadabra, here we go again. Smile

I really like this guy, his creativity is off the charts with his coin magic. And he has a real sense of presentation, not the old stuff but a casual and smooth delivery of new material. His enjoyment of the magic is only matched by yours. Smile Here’s just an example of his very unique bag of cleverness…

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Man, this guy is just so good. And he’s good at it all all the time, including coin magic. Smile You don’t hear about him much in our art, but believe you me, he’s as good as anybody doing this stuff at the highest level…probably better than most.

He’s so creative and has honed the craft to high art by way of doing the magic for real, out on the streets for thousands. That’s where I first saw some of the best magic I ever saw, out on the streets. And you learn so much from these kinda guys, as part of his persona is to also teach as well. And to do this, you must know a thing or two about a thing or two, and he does. Anyway, it’s just fun to watch him do his thing in the very special way he does it, no one quite like him. He makes it look so fun & easy… Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
…And this is what I meant by “teach.” He just doesn’t tell you which way to go, he sometimes “shows” you the way. Smile Just real good stuff from a really good guy…Here, see for yourself…:)

Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
That is a fantastic routine.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Doug is tremendous. I’m a subscriber to his YouTube channel.

All because MB posted a couple of his routines in this thread. Thank you, so much… MB.
Nev Blenk
View Profile
Regular user
Northumberland UK
127 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Love Doug's magic .... thanks
Coin & Box - book available directly from me.
https://youtu.be/kAxQ6GRU-RI
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Some really creative approaches to an old way that is well worth remembering. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Thank you, so much... (520 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..22..25..28..31..32~33~34 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL