The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Drawing Room Deceptions??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
What is the lowest price for this book on the market. The lowest I found was $33.60 US?????
What can you get!!! Link me!!! Smile
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Why do you need it to be cheaper?

Go to your local magicshop, if you have one, and try to buy it there.

This book is priceless in my opinion.
Drive Carefully
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
AND it is considered out of print so pick up the copy....NOW!!!!!
~joeKing
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
But, I live in Australia, Perth and I am pretty sure there are no Magic stores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which sucks!!!:( So I have to order one on the net!!!!
Who else can tell me about the reformation!!!! IS it good????
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Yes "Reformation" is very good, and very detailed in the book. Do a search to find some old threads about not only this torn and restored card but also many others.

I would get this book without question right away if you can find a copy. It is not for someone who is new to magic, however.
Drive Carefully
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
I have been doing magic for aroun 2 years to 3 years is that enough??????
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
You could always try half.com, I've used them to find all sorts of out of print materials in various conditions. It doesn't hurt to take a look.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Masonogy1,

In the Yellow Pages of Magic I can see there are a few magic shops in Australia: 2 in Melbourne, 2 in Victoria, 1 in Sydney, 1 in Chatswood, and a few others.
Pm me if you want any addresses.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
If you have been into magic for a couple of years then the book is very much worth your time. It really is an amazing all around project that Mr Hollingsworth put a lot of time into. Not only did he write it, but he also did the illustrations, which are very nice!!!

The book both looks and feels much like an older magic book from the past, and is very well printed and bound. The material is all really top notch stuff, but at all times not for the beginner, who should be studing only the basics.

Reformation is covered in the epilogue and is 36 pages long!!! Also don't miss the trick in the prologue.
Drive Carefully
dbiderman
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of dbiderman
This book is very good...the reformation is almost impossible (atleast in my opinion) to learn with out some hands-on help, but is very worth it. there are some interesting ideas in here, especially on the duplicate signature and the waving the aces idea...my favorite part about the book is the writing overall, I found it very easy, whic made the book easy to enjoy in turn
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
200 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
I spent the time and learned The Reformation from the book. I have to say, it wasn't easy, but I broke it down into three specific areas and had it down in a few weeks. I actually kept all of my practice cards in a glass vase so I could see how many I'd used....it was overflowing.

Once your comfortable with it...it really flows nicely. I would highly recommend buying the book. The satisfaction and confidence gained from learning a trick like that from a book is well worth it.

Best Wishes,
Brian

One more thing, use Stud cards if you can when learning and performing The Reformation. They are thinner and much more easy to handle...and...if you watch Guy's vids....he uses them as well.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Quote:
On 2004-06-08 17:02, Brian Roberts wrote:
...use Stud cards if you can when learning and performing The Reformation...

I feel pretty stupid asking this, but what (and where can I find) "Stud" cards? Are they a brand?
I have only used Bicycle, Bees, and Tally-Hos
~joeKing
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Stud cards are sold at Wallgreens, a chain of big drugstores. They feel a lot thinner in my hands.
Drive Carefully
Elputty
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
114 Posts

Profile of Elputty
I perform very little of the material from Drawing Room Deceptions, but it is still one of my favorite books. The ideas are very good, and everything feels original. I used the reformation for a while, but gave up on it because I have pretty large windows in my fingers, which is my excuse for being lazy.

Adam
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I think the Ambidextrous Interchange is my favorite trick in the book even though his version is like impossible. It forced me to make a version of my own which I am very happy with. I don't use tricks often from the book but it is my favorite of all time. I sometimes will do Waving the Aces (a visual twisting the aces), but I'm still trying to find a better ending than the one he provided. Denis Behr has a clip of some Hollingworth's stuff on his website.
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Everything people have said is true. The book is outstanding, however it contains some very difficult material. You might be better off getting a book with easier material. Obviously I don't know your skill leveel, but I found that some of the material was a bit beyond my ability (and I've been doing magic for 16 years). That's not to say that you couldn't master the material after practice, you just won't necessarily receive instant gratification. Just my 2 cents

shawn
marc_us
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of marc_us
As said, the material isn't the easiest. Reformation is quite difficult (to me) ... I doubt if I'll ever (spend the effort) to practise it til I can just let go of the moves and concentrate on the presentation. Really like the writing style... the following comment just cracked me up...

...The shift, if viewed by a one-eyed spectator seated on a large cushion to your right, no nearer than three feet away, should resemble an all around square up...

No wonder mine sucks, I've been performing to the wrong audience Smile
iamthegoat2003
View Profile
New user
Sacramento
22 Posts

Profile of iamthegoat2003
Im going to just get his two videos that you can buy from magicproshop.
The mind is too complicated to read,
but who is to say it can not be summarized?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Drawing Room Deceptions??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL