The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Books and DVDs about (non?) memorized deck stack work for beginners (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ltrblst
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Greetings,

I'm looking for some resources about (non?) memorized deck stack work for beginners... let me explain.

By (non?) memorized deck I mean I'd like to use a fully-stacked deck with some underlying principles which avoid the need of memorization. In future I plan to study memorization techniques and commit a whole deck to memory, but not now. Recently I returned using the Bart Harding Stack.

If you want to know more about my beginner journey to find the best stack for me and maybe contribute, please see Easy to learn and use random looking stack.

In other topics I've read some very good suggestions, like Mnemonica book, Simply Simon, Buena Vista Shuffle Club, Recall by Crosbie... However I don't know if they are geared or really usefull for a (serious) novice that just finished card college vol.1 Smile

I love ACAAN, predictions, mentalism with cards and gambling demonstration but I'm not really looking just for tricks. Sure they are nice, however there is already a fine thread about Sleightless (or sleight-light) stacked work.

What do you suggest to a beginner as far as theory, routine organization and presentation, study guide, most important sleights in stacked work?

Thanks for your time and help!
-- Lut
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4903 Posts

Profile of landmark
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
BCS by Osterlind or quickerstack by Doug Dyment
ltrblst
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2020, landmark wrote:
This should be helpful to you:

Http://www.simonaronson.com/Memories%20A......This.pdf

Thank you, this and Mr.Dyment essay were my first introduction to memdeck principles, pretty good.

Now I'm familiar with a stack (Bart Harding) a few false shuffle and cuts, and I would like to take it to the next level.
-- Lut
ltrblst
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2020, Count Hatrick wrote:
BCS by Osterlind or quickerstack by Doug Dyment

Very good stacks, however for my needs I settled on Bart Harding stack, you can read more in Easy to learn and use random looking stack
-- Lut
Nikodemus
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
It's hard to understand what you are asking for.

If you want a stack with built-in tricks, but don't want to actually memorise the stack, I believe Mnemonica & the Aronson stack both have things like spell-to-any-card.
But to really get the benefit of any stack I suspect you really need to memorise it so you can effortlessly find your way around within it.

It sounds like you are trying to jump from beginner to a very advanced level. My advice would be to learn some specific tricks you like. Then gradually build your repertoire. As you do this you will naturally come across sleights & principles along the way.

You say you like ACAAN. There are lots of methods, but the best ones seem to me to depend on a memorised stack. (Although it doesn't matter which one). Why not pick one of those to learn?

PS. I considered the Bart Harding stack - but realised I didn''t actually know the standard order it depends on!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
The INVISIBLE CARD by Simon Aronson is a great effect. It is in his book Try The Impossible.
It is an un-gimmicked version of the Invisible Deck.

Effect -
Spectator names any card.
Magician asks them to imagine removing it from an invisible deck
Magician goes through a real deck, and the named card is missing.
Spectator mimes inserting the invisible card face-up into the deck.
Magician spreads the deck. The card has now appeared in the deck - and is face-up.

There is one simple "move" - not even a sleight really.
The method requires you to know a memorised stack - you can do it with any stack, including Bart Harding.
If you aren't confident in your memory, you can even use a marked deck as an insurance policy.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8466 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I teach how to memorize cards in a few of my books for the public on memory training. Who knows? You may find some good stuff therein.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
ltrblst
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2020, Nikodemus wrote:
It sounds like you are trying to jump from beginner to a very advanced level. My advice would be to learn some specific tricks you like. Then gradually build your repertoire. As you do this you will naturally come across sleights & principles along the way.

You say you like ACAAN. There are lots of methods, but the best ones seem to me to depend on a memorised stack. (Although it doesn't matter which one). Why not pick one of those to learn?

Yeah, I was skipping steps. Now I'm starting small and learning as I go. I can perform some stack work with the Bart Harding system (including some good ACAAN) but in order to fully exploit the potential of memorized decks you need to commit to memory... and I'm toying with the Redford stack.

At least currently I can perform some very baffling effects were I need to know next/previous card or card at location and vice versa (using Bart Harding which is very easy to me). Meanwhile I'm practicing for the next step.
-- Lut
ltrblst
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I teach how to memorize cards in a few of my books for the public on memory training. Who knows? You may find some good stuff therein.

Thanks Mr. Lorayne, The Memory Book is going to help a lot!
-- Lut
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Books and DVDs about (non?) memorized deck stack work for beginners (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL