The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Books and DVDs about (non?) memorized deck stack work for beginners (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2020, chappy wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2020, ltrblst wrote:
Quote:
Some of my favorite useful sleights and techniques for stacked deck work include:

1. Faro shuffle
2. Peek
3. Estimation
4. False shuffle

I have to work especially on the first three. Do you have some good resources?

I already own Mike Close video, it's good but not great in my opinion.

Well...I'm at risk of being accused of shameless self-promotion, but I've written pretty extensively about the top three, not so much the fourth.

There are solid sections on estimation in the books The Devil's Staircase and Details of Deception, and around 14 different peeks taught in the latter. Both books have sizeable sections on the faro shuffle also although you might be interested in my recent project Faro Fundamentals which brings together and expands on material from both aforementioned books, covers essential theory and applications and also teaches fundamental technique for in-the-hands and table faro work. Hopefully something here helps.

Come on, man, stop trying to make me pick up your books! Tbh, they are on my list for when I get my work bonus, lots of great reviews. On this topic, I'm quite happy with my faro (I get enough practice going in and out of Mnemonica) but I know I'll pick up some great tips from your work.

Thanks for sharing your ideas, best of luck and take care!

MC
ltrblst
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Thank you guys for all your help, I really appreciate it and I hope this thread can be useful to other memdeck beginners as well.

I want to add that I'm actually left handed (I hold the deck in my right hand) and I use the Ortiz Sinister Peek and the Osterlind one with the c**e. I'm looking for more peeks and open to suggestions.

Please keep in mind that I learn much better from video, so I have postponed further books later down the road since I'm still digesting what I have (Card College and a couple of beginners book.
-- Lut
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Pick up Matt Baker’s At The Table then. It has a few of his effects from his book and is pretty darned affordable at $7.95. I consider that an absolute steal!

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/live-l......t-baker/

Of course then you’ll probably want to pick up his book Smile
chappy
View Profile
Special user
755 Posts

Profile of chappy
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2020, MC Mirak wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2020, ltrblst wrote:
Quote:
Some of my favorite useful sleights and techniques for stacked deck work include:

1. Faro shuffle
2. Peek
3. Estimation
4. False shuffle

I have to work especially on the first three. Do you have some good resources?

I already own Mike Close video, it's good but not great in my opinion.

Well...I'm at risk of being accused of shameless self-promotion, but I've written pretty extensively about the top three, not so much the fourth.

There are solid sections on estimation in the books The Devil's Staircase and Details of Deception, and around 14 different peeks taught in the latter. Both books have sizeable sections on the faro shuffle also although you might be interested in my recent project Faro Fundamentals which brings together and expands on material from both aforementioned books, covers essential theory and applications and also teaches fundamental technique for in-the-hands and table faro work. Hopefully something here helps.

Come on, man, stop trying to make me pick up your books! Tbh, they are on my list for when I get my work bonus, lots of great reviews. On this topic, I'm quite happy with my faro (I get enough practice going in and out of Mnemonica) but I know I'll pick up some great tips from your work.

Thanks for sharing your ideas, best of luck and take care!

MC

Thanks! I appreciate it.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Greg's Faro Fundamentals is going to be a game-changer. Because at long last, when someone asks, "Where I can learn to do the faro shuffle?" unhesitatingly, the first answer is going to be Greg Chapman's Faro Fundamentals. It's that good. All the information that people pick up in bits and pieces about the faro over many years and even decades is now in one place. Fully illustrated, and besides learning *how* to faro, you'll learn *why* to faro.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Books and DVDs about (non?) memorized deck stack work for beginners (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL