The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » W for folded CTW - how small is too small? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
Hi all, it's been a little while since I last posted but I hope you are all well and keeping safe.

I've got the CTW bug and have been looking into the various methods and tools.

I'm currently working on a propless/gaffless folded CTW routine and have been hunting around for the best ordinary wallet to use. This is the best I've found so far, tucked away in the back of a drawer (I must have had it for decades!), and I really like it.

(Click the picture for a larger image.)

It ticks all the boxes in terms of practicality:

It's easy to "prepare" in the back pocket and because of its small size, it isn't as noticable as larger wallets once "prepared".
It's fast and easy to load, (especially with a little help from the old ATM card, which I have "trimmed").
It's easy to remove naturally from the back pocket and "correct the fold", again because of its small size.

My only concern is, does the small size detract from the effect from the participant's point of view? Does it seem less impossble/less impressive than if the folded card appeared - using the same method - in a similar pocket of a regular size wallet?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance to anyone with experience of performing this effect who can offer any advice.
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
Hi Kong - larger image didn't work for me. However, I don't think the size of the wallet detracts if it's smaller. It may make it slightly better - i.e. how could he hide it in that? But the key to any card to wallet/pocket is having the spectators see (or think) that you're reaching for it with an empty hand - that's where the "magic" is.
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
Thanks Count.

Sorry about the larger image not working. It's basically a very simple bifold wallet with 2 card slots on one side and one card slot on the other, and no other pockets at all. When folded it is slightly larger than an ATM card.

I hear what you're saying about the empty hand and that's good to know. I think I have that covered. I remove the wallet and place it on the table as I hand them the deck to look after, before any mention of a transposition taking place.

I do it on the off-beat like this: the prepared wallet is in my left rear pocket. the deck is in my LH in dealers grip, with the fold already done. I hand the deck to the participant while retaining the folded card in finger palm. At the same time, I raise my right hand up and open (convincer) for a moment and say "you look after the deck, I'll just get my wallet out for later...". As I hand them the deck with my LH, I pat my right back pocket with my RH as though looking unsuccessfully for my wallet. As they take the deck from my LH (with folded card retained in finger palm) I switch to patting my left back pocket with my left hand. This is done very casually on the off beat as all attention is on the deck being handed over and should mimmic the natural action of someone searching for their wallet in their back pockets.
Ioannes
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Ioannes
I agree with Count that the size of the wallet does not detract from the effect. Kong, I think that your method of "showing" both hands empty is great. It provides the perfect misdirection for the audience.
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2020, Ioannes wrote:
I agree with Count that the size of the wallet does not detract from the effect. Kong, I think that your method of "showing" both hands empty is great. It provides the perfect misdirection for the audience.

Thanks Ioannes. Although almost certainly not an original idea, I came up with the misdirection part myself. I've yet to try it out on anyone but I'm sure it'll work, I just need to iron-out a couple of things first (getting the folded card into a good finger palm immediately after performing the fold without any unnecessary movements or passing the deck from one hand to the other - I want to hand over the deck as soon as I can to emphasize "no funny business", and I want to get my load a bit faster and smoother). It shouldn't take take long.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I will give my opinion strictly as a spectator. The main feature that impresses me is not the relative size of the wallet, or even believe it or not, the display of an empty hand, but removing the card from a zippered compartment. That's the fact that pushes the effect into "impossible" for me.
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2020, landmark wrote:
I will give my opinion strictly as a spectator. The main feature that impresses me is not the relative size of the wallet, or even believe it or not, the display of an empty hand, but removing the card from a zippered compartment. That's the fact that pushes the effect into "impossible" for me.

Yes, I can see what you mean. The only issue I have with that method is that it puts all the heat on the wallet and as far as my understanding of that method goes, it cannot be examined.

An alternative method that I have considered with my little wallet is producing the folded card from within a sealed envelope inside the wallet. This should only require a slight change in the method I'm already practicing and everything would still be examinable afterwards.

Do you think that would seem as "impossible" as a zippered compartment?

Thanks Landmark.
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
I think a sealed envelope is more impossible than a zippered compartment - but sometimes it's hard to think as a spectator when you're a performer. It almost gives you two moments, first is when you're pointing out the wallet, and second when you pull out the envelope.
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2020, Count Hatrick wrote:
I think a sealed envelope is more impossible than a zippered compartment - but sometimes it's hard to think as a spectator when you're a performer. It almost gives you two moments, first is when you're pointing out the wallet, and second when you pull out the envelope.

Yes, I also struggle to see/feel it from a participant's point of view to work out what has the biggest impact.

Thinking a bit more about the envelope production, to add another layer of deception there could be a folded hand-written note with the card inside the envelope for them to read after the card reveal. I'm not sure on the wording yet - I would need to think of a plausible plot to tie it in with - but it would essentially be a prediction.

Perhaps it's unnecessary and I'm over-thinking this but it seems like it could add to the effect so I'll give it some more thought. Thanks again.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
An envelope is good too. As Count Hatrick says, it's that extra beat you get with the zipper or the envelope that creates a dramatic moment--It couldn't be, and then OMG. It's just that moment of impossible inevitability right before you open the zipper or the envelope as they catch up with you as to where the plot is going, that's the memorable moment.

I have a feeling that anything more than that, such as a prediction, is anti-climatic. It's like a comedian stepping on a laugh--you'd be stepping on a perfect magical moment.
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2020, landmark wrote:
An envelope is good too. As Count Hatrick says, it's that extra beat you get with the zipper or the envelope that creates a dramatic moment--It couldn't be, and then OMG. It's just that moment of impossible inevitability right before you open the zipper or the envelope as they catch up with you as to where the plot is going, that's the memorable moment.

Thanks again, landmark. I have a feeling that anything more than that, such as a prediction, is anti-climatic. It's like a comedian stepping on a laugh--you'd be stepping on a perfect magical moment.

I think you're right. The highpoint is definitely the card production and anything after could take the wind out of the sails, so to speak.

How about making it a prediction in wallet routine with a signed card production
kicker?

"Before you freely chose and signed your card, I made a prediction. Open my wallet and you'll see a folded note in one of the pockets..."

Followed by...

"But that's not all. Inside the wallet you'll also find a small envelope. Please take it out and open it..."
Ioannes
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Ioannes
Another way you could go about it is saying that you have sealed your prediction inside an envelope and placed it inside the wallet. When they tear open the envelope, lo and behold! they are staring at the card they chose.

Question for the more experienced magicians: do the spectators normally attempt grab hold of your wallet after the card is produced to see how you did it, and how do you naturally put the wallet away after the trick? Do y'all just place it in your pocket while the spectator is shocked with the card?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2020, Ioannes wrote:
Question for the more experienced magicians: do the spectators normally attempt grab hold of your wallet after the card is produced to see how you did it, and how do you naturally put the wallet away after the trick? Do y'all just place it in your pocket while the spectator is shocked with the card?

People in general are not going to grab at your wallet. That is just a built in "Taboo" thing that people just don't do. Pull out the card and put the wallet in your pocket with one hand while you (A) unfold the card with the other or (B) hand the card to the spectator with your free hand. They are more into that card (especially if signed) than they are of your wallet.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Ioannes
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Ioannes
That makes sense. I guess I've been performing magic mostly for my family, who obviously know I am not magical and are inherently curious. Thanks for the advise!
SchminkiPinkiBangBang
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of SchminkiPinkiBangBang
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2020, Kong wrote:
My only concern is, does the small size detract from the effect from the participant's point of view?

No.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » W for folded CTW - how small is too small? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL