We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Book, PDF or MP3 (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2148 Posts

Profile of RCP
Anyone other than me bothered by the trend away from a real book to a PDF and now a rambling MP3? I get he cost savings of a PDF over a real book but I am done with lazy rambling
MP3s. Just say no!
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1078 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Saying NO.
Reading several books today, tomorrow, and forever.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2506 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Agreed. I think it was around a year ago, I stopped buying digital products all together.

Physical books are pretty much the only thing I will purchase these days.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5323 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I like a lot of the newer props and effects that are being released, but every time I press "pay," I wonder if 10 years from now the investment will go the way of VHS tapes. The packaging of today's props are often sleek and well-designed, and the quality of many is better than ever, but with the emphasis on quickly-evolving and changing digital instruction, I seriously fear that time will render it all for nothing.

Never mind my personal fear of a catastrophe that turns computers into useless paperweights, and we only have the written word to fall back on. For me, that's reason enough to at least include a small printed cheat sheet with every new prop and effect. But what about the concentration of online videos with pass codes? Forget about the issues of technology changing, what guarantee is there that the creators' databases will be maintained, and that information will still be available 5, 10, 15 years or more down the road? Yes, in many cases we can download the videos for our own archives and reference, but what about re-sale after the original owner dies? Or not being able to download the right software to play back the old videos?

I love technology. But as someone who has lived on both sides of the fence, one with and without personal computers. I think we need something in between. I choose the fence.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
665 Posts

Profile of Winks
Books, books, and only books.
Dr. O
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
274 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Agreed. Books! For instructions I have started printing out PDFs and such since I I've lost several to computer mishaps. Old school I guess but I would rather have print.
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, California
235 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Could be worse, there's a particular creator who released an effect where if you bought it you literally had to call him and he would just tell you the instructions for it because he didn't feel like writing any of it down.
professortango
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of professortango
Yep. I hate having to remember which magic site has the effect I purchased in the account section. I prefer owning physical media to have on hand.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1464 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I much prefer proper books for a variety of reasons, not least because they are an investment which will probably increase in value when they go out of print. I do have a huge number of ebooks, mostly free and mostly pdfs, which I tend to forget about because I can't pick them up and dip into them. I don't often buy apparatus, but Where instructions are online, including videos, I download and save them onto my PC (some videos are awkward to download, but it's usually possible one way or another). I now also have a lot of downloaded videos, mostly free, that I tend to forget about ...

I do have a few audio "books" but I hate them.

Barry
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1078 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Also, I have lost the passwords to my Voodini PDF's.
So there's that problem.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
The only reason I have to buy a PDF if to print it out and bind it into a book where I can mark-up, flip pages, add noted, etc. without being forced to only one page at a time access. Therefore buying PDFs is rare since my printer is broken.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
354 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Only REAL Books.

I refuse to release ANY of the ones I write in digital format.

Lary/TEB3/Traveler
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2252 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I cast my mail- in vote for proper books as well

My library has 300 HB AND 600 PB Books, plus More magazines than I have taken time to count.

all amassed over a period of 67 years

K.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5323 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2020, KOTAH wrote:
I cast my mail- in vote for proper books as well

My library has 300 HB AND 600 PB Books, plus More magazines than I have taken time to count.

all amassed over a period of 67 years

K.

And they require no batteries. No recharging. No players. No updates. And no version numbers.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Book, PDF or MP3 (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL