The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good tricks using a double lift? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I finally found a double lift that I like! Check out Easy Lift by Devin Knight.

I have studied magic for 25 years and I am embarassed to say I used to avoid tricks using a double lift because I never got round to deciding on one that I would commit to mastering.

As such I feel like a whole new world has finally opened up to me. So I am just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for good tricks that use the double lift?

I know that covers a lot of tricks. I was just hoping for some pointers towards some clever tricks that are buried in print that also happen to use the double lift.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I can recommend this effect: Darwin´s Ambitious Card, page 148 in the great book Scams & Fantasies with Cards by Darwin Ortiz (2002).
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Yeah that is the move. It is cheap as well!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Chicago Opener or Surprise.
Pop's version, Chicago Surprise, uses a palm and a classic force if you're up to it, but if not, then the former is pretty good, too.
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
Harry Lorayne The Magic Book - Insert. I've been using this for over 30 years now. But pretty much any Harry Lorayne book has lots of great card magic, and most of them use a DL
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"...and most of them use a double lift"

- I'll have to disagree with you here.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Many of David Forrest's "moving hole" tricks use a DL.
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
The Time Machine by Steve Freeman. Originally in Genii, but also described in Card College.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks magicfish. I, too, disagree, U wonder if the COUNT COUNTED!!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
The best DL imho is the one YOU have done so many times, you are barely conscious of it! The simplest DL trick I do is one (can't remember its name) performed on a Daryl tape, where he has the spectator do a card stab with the chosen card (altho the spec thinks otherwise). A little magician in trouble twist to the trick! ps, welcome to the Café Count Hatrick. I had a chuckle at Harry's post, but not on your ac-count. Just Café humor... Harry's tricks are a bit numerous to keep track of. But you're on the right (oh no, don't say it) track. Lynn
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
Thanks Lynn, Harry and magic fish - what I should have said was that most of his books have effects that show great use of the DL. My grammar clearly can't be counted on 😀
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2020, Bob_Hummer wrote:
I finally found a double lift that I like! Check out Easy Lift by Devin Knight.

I have studied magic for 25 years and I am embarassed to say I used to avoid tricks using a double lift because I never got round to deciding on one that I would commit to mastering.

As such I feel like a whole new world has finally opened up to me. So I am just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for good tricks that use the double lift?

I know that covers a lot of tricks. I was just hoping for some pointers towards some clever tricks that are buried in print that also happen to use the double lift.

I've been late to the table many a day, better late than never. Smile The DL is a wonderful move and is the engine in countless card tricks. Now that you got one you like (mine of choice is the Strike DL), you can go a lt of ways, but for me a good use of it is in Card Transpositions. There are a lot out there but the one by John Scarne in the old beer commercial long ago is still some of the best simply put card magic ever, still to this day, IMHO. Smile *See here at the :48 second mark...

There's lt of them out there now, but there's a really neat Card Transpo in the old "Now You See It, Now You Don't" book by Bill Tarr. It's cool because it also involves a neat card to pocket element. Not hard to do either, especially since you got the DL down now. Good job! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
sblom
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of sblom
There are several great routines that feature double-lifts on Disc 2 of Andi Gladwin's Master Pushoff project. He has an interesting handling of Henry Christ's Fabulous Four Aces that uses some well-placed double-turnovers to make the Bannon/Hammond kicker ending less fiddly.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I like Darwin Ortiz's "Jumping Gemini" in Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table. It's got some DLs and also the gemini count by Bro. Hamman. Fun sequence to go through and practice the moves.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good tricks using a double lift? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL