The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Seven Year Old Mem Deck Worker (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey everyone. Can I ask a question please that I’m curious about. Who here does Mem Deck work and who doesn’t? If you don’t do mem deck work is there a reason why not?

I taught my 7 year old son Mnemonica at the start of lockdown. He now has instant recall and performs several routines with the stack.

I’ve just uploaded his latest video onto his YouTube channel which is an awesome mem deck routine. If you get time to look at it I’d love to know your thoughts.

Anyway, I was talking to him today about the stack watch and couldn’t understand the point of the trick. He said if people want to learn a mem deck they should just learn it and not buy a prop to ‘cheat’ (his words not mine). And if they are struggling they should practice more.

So if you don’t do mem deck work why not? Is it because it’s hard to learn or you don’t like the routines you can do with it. I personally think mem deck routines are awesome. Again check out the video I’ve posted below.

What are your thoughts?

https://youtu.be/gm0JizVmKmA
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Craig, way to go my friend, your son is fantastic! I finally mastered Mnemonica about a year ago after giving up on it numerous times. Harry Lorayne’s memory techniques helped me out tremendously. Learning a memorized deck truly elevates your card magic to a whole other level.
When I first heard of a memorized deck, my first thought was it sounds way too difficult, and a waste of time trying to master such a concept. Boy was I wrong. I only regret not mastering the stack earlier in my life, even though I’m only 31 right now, but still LOL.
Hopefully your video above will inspire others to study Mnemonica, or any other memorized stack.
All the best,

Mor
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
Hi Craig,

Loved the video - looking forward to seeing more. I learned Osterlind's BCS a while ago, and have used that very effectively for a number of effects. I haven't yet memorised a deck, but am heading into that - setting myself some challenges whilst in lockdown. I've never worried about it before as there are so many miracles you can perform without it, so it was a tool I hadn't put the time into learning.
nico360
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of nico360
Hi Craig,
I think I learned it about 2 years ago, and it was an instant regret... I regretted I didn't learn it earlier!
It's simply the best tool out there for card magic (imo)

You talk about mem deck routines, but it's way bigger than that.
Every "pick a card-trick" (where you have to control the card on top), becomes a "name a card-trick"

Your son is amazing btw!
It was funny when he said "a 10 ummm a 2 of spades" Smile
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
That's brilliant Craig. Well done Ryland!

I found the dialogue a little hard to follow at times (and even youtube couldn't manage to decipher the audio correctly with subtitles), but maybe I'm just getting old. The gist of things was very clear though, and it was an impressive performance, which to a layman would seem totally, totally impossible.

Nicely constructed routine as well, Craig, which made for good presentation. It really shows the power of a memdeck routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Seven Year Old Mem Deck Worker (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL