The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to Create a “spring” flap in bottom of tin can (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1158 Posts

Profile of imgic
I’m working on a stage/parlor routine and am trying to figure out how to create a flap in the bottom of a tin can (a 28 oz can,,,like a large can of baked beans). The other end would be open.

Idea is to have the can inverted and be able to push something thru the flap into the can. The flap would spring back into place. Since it’s stage, the can will not be examined nor seen up close. But I don’t want some big spring visible.

It shouldn’t be that difficult, but I just can’t nail it down, best idea I’ve had is cut hole in top of can then create a disk that’s like a big folding coin and glue one part to rim of can.

Any other ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
430 Posts

Profile of ekins
It seems the biggest issue is getting your trap door under the item you want to appear in the can. For example, if you have an apple and set the can over the apple, the apple will press against the flap causing it to open making room for the apple in the can but the flap can't close because the apple is in the way. The apple would need to be lifted up slightly to allow the trap to close.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
The hard part is that the can is round.. so only HALF the can can "flap". what about a split Spandex trap like the illusionists use? Maybe a star trap made of a flexible plastic? Would that be too obvious?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2020, imgic wrote:

Idea is to have the can inverted and be able to push something thru the flap into the can.

Could you provide more information on what the effect is ? At least, what is the size/shape of the object being pushed through the bottom of the container ?
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1158 Posts

Profile of imgic
It would be a small firm item, say a ball from C&B. Attached is drawing of what I've thought of....

Click here to view/download attached file.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
469 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Use your idea, with the 2 discs, with a smaller disc sandwiched between the 2. That way you automatically have the groove made in the flap for the rubber band. You had the right idea!
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
469 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2020, Dan Ford wrote:
Use your idea, with the 2 discs, with a smaller disc sandwiched between the 2. That way you automatically have the groove made in the flap for the rubber band. You had the right idea!

Clarification....Sandwiched and glued!!!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2020, imgic wrote:
It would be a small firm item, say a ball from C&B. Attached is drawing of what I've thought of....

The drawing looks like it would work , but I wonder if for the effect of a small ball penetrating a metal can if this method is unnecessarily complicated ? A small ball could penetrate through a metal can the same way a ball penetrates through a metal cup in the cups & balls or through a chop cup .

-
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1158 Posts

Profile of imgic
Thanks all.

The effect isn’t using a ball. I just used it the reference. As I play with it I may incorporate C&B moves where possible. All a work on progress.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2020, imgic wrote:

The effect isn’t using a ball. I just used it as the reference.

Ok, I expected the object wasn't a ball , but an object approximately the size of the ball shown in the illustration you uploaded.

So, I would still say that an object of similar size to that ball (or even a bit larger) penetrating a metal can could be accomplished with the same method of a ball of that size penetrating a "Chop Cup" , y'know what I mean ?

Click here to view attached image.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1234 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Use your idea. I half cut circle is the flap. On one end of the flap, have a couple small magnets. The flap is made of two
can bottoms cut in half with strong cloth or rubber between them.

When you push the flap from the top, it opens. but when you lift the can and turn it sideways, you have the flap marked on the bottom. So that when you turn the can horizontal, the flap moves back and sticks to the bottom flange you left, again.
What is great is that when you are showing them the can, turning it from vertical to horizontal, you are actually resetting the flap so the magnet sticks to the flange in the bottom and you can show it freely once again.
I really appreciate this idea. I wanted to make this type of thing for something else. IT got me thinking.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1234 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
In this case you use gravity to bring the half circle can flap, back to the bottom and to restick there with the magnets. hehe.
I have wondered why nobody ever did the cups and balls with a gimmicked cup. It could be much cleaner. You could easily switch out one cup when they are examining the others etc. Brilliant idea boss!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1158 Posts

Profile of imgic
I reached out to Bill Palmer, the keeper of C&B knowledge and curator of the online Cups &. Balls museum:

http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/

There have been gimmicked cups, but nothing that would work for what I wanted...
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1234 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes I am sure that there have been gimmicked cups, but never seen or heard of them. Yep Bill Palmer is the C n B man.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to Create a “spring” flap in bottom of tin can (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL