The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin set for beginner? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

reno55
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of reno55
I am looking to start to get into coin magic and wonder what set or items should I have to get a good start?

I already have 4 Kennedy Half Dollars. What else should I get?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3845 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Resist the urge to buy a bunch od gaffed coins. Get yourself a couple of english pennies, and a half dollar sized Chinese coin to do tricks requiring coins of contrasting color. Maybe one or two more half dollars as well. Do not get gaffed coins, or expensive silver coins. Learn with what you have, and when you decide ro do more advanced coin magic we can talk again. Good luck!
First edition of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME, and the supplies of the reprint are dwindling fast! but don't despair, they are still around at dealers everywhere!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!! ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
52 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I got some english pennies recently off eBay for a great price. It doesn't hurt to look there for a good deal every now and then. I don't have any gaffs or sets yet myself as I'm just learning the common palms and sleights.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3845 Posts

Post was made in the wrong section, fixed it.
First edition of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME, and the supplies of the reprint are dwindling fast! but don't despair, they are still around at dealers everywhere!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!! ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
453 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
You may want to eventually invest in a Close Up Pad. A number of coin routines require dumping the coins onto a table and/or picking them up. The pad makes those actions smoother as well as aiding in executing certain moves.

It doesn't have to be super expensive or fancy. Some people use things like carpet samples.

I don't think you would regret getting one, but if you are just beginning in coin magic, four half dollars is a great set to begin practicing all of the standard useful coin sleights: palms, subtleties, passes, clips, transfers, etc.

Once you have mastery over basic sleights you can start combining those sleights and using them in routines. As your mastery coin-tinues to grow, you will expand and seek more advanced routines.

When I started in coin magic I took the advice of a practiced magician and carried my half dollars everywhere I went. I practiced palms continually while going about my daily business, and during lulls, other sleights or quick routines.

It make sense. One thing people noticed about guitar legends; "he was never without his guitar."

All the best to you on your magic journey,

Douglas M.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8655 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Y’know, I agree that the 4 half dollars that you have are plenty to begin with. You can do so much with all four of those coins or three or two of those coins, even one of those coins, there’s so much to learn with and from the set you have. But I will say that if you’re looking for what I believe is a beginners coin set, it would be something like a copper/silver coin. Just so many amazing tricks you can do with that little coin, as simple & cheap as it is. And it doesn’t take a lot of difficulty to make it happen. The coin can even be used with regular coins for some wonderful effects, simple to advanced. Some really simple effects with that coin are quite amazing. So, first things first as to learning, but a good 2nd thing worth checking out as to “beginning” is a C/S coin set. I’m just sayin’. 😊
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
reno55
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of reno55
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2020, Mb217 wrote:
Y’know, I agree that the 4 half dollars that you have are plenty to begin with. You can do so much with all four of those coins or three or two of those coins, even one of those coins, there’s so much to learn with and from the set you have. But I will say that if you’re looking for what I believe is a beginners coin set, it would be something like a copper/silver coin. Just so many amazing tricks you can do with that little coin, as simple & cheap as it is. And it doesn’t take a lot of difficulty to make it happen. The coin can even be used with regular coins for some wonderful effects, simple to advanced. Some really simple effects with that coin are quite amazing. So, first things first as to learning, but a good 2nd thing worth checking out as to “beginning” is a C/S coin set. I’m just sayin’. 😊

What would you recommend as a good beginner copper/silver coin set? I was looking at Carpeter Coins but the reviews are not that great
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3845 Posts

Just a copper silver coin, clad half on one side, english penny on the other. But you don't need gaffed coins until you learn the basics of coin magic. You can do a lot of the same things with just sleight of hand.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3845 Posts

Look, if you are a beginner you first need to learn the basic concealments, then from there progress to moves. Vanishes, reproductions, loads, steals, shuttle passes, changeover palms, click passes, etc. Then, once you have a good base, you can progress to simple routines. Coins across, coins through the table, matrix, copper silver transpositions, spellbound routines. You can do all that with sleight of hand. There is NO NEED, I repeat, NO NEED, to start to buy expensive gaffed coin sets or invest in expensive silver coins. If you want to invest in something, get the good beginner and intermediate books and dvds. But don't buy an expensive gaffed coin set, that usually requires good sleight of hand to make it effective anyway. If you prefer to buy a mechanical trick that you can do in 5 minutes with no skill, you get what you pay for. The people on here who use gaffed coins have a deep knowledge of good sleight of hand. Talk to David Neighbors, who is familiar with all the gaffed coins. He will tell you that you need to inderstand good sleight of hand before you go that rlute (not putting words into David's mouth, but he has said that numerous times on this site). I hope that helps.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ayrshire, Scotland
273 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
I have to agree with Michael here, start with regular coins and a couple of good books/DVDs.

With your four half dollars, two English pennies, and an odd coin, there are some great pieces possible - and you'll be able to perform them anywhere, at any time, as long as you have some coins.

When you have a good, solid grounding in your regular coin work, then you may want to get a gaff or two - Marion has mentioned one of the best (a c/s coin). This is a great coin to have, can be bought cheaply, and should last a lifetime - no moving parts to break.

I have many gaffs that I've bought over the years (I've been a student of the craft for over 30 years), but nowadays, as far as gaffs go, the only ones I actually use are a c/s coin, and an expanded shell. With these two, four regular halfs, two English pennies, a Chinese coin (with hole), and some sleight of hand, I can do pretty much any trick I like.
I also have the exact same set in current UK currency (I'm in Scotland) - four 2ps with matching shell, two 10ps, a c/s 2p/10p, and I use a 50p as my odd coin.

But yes, get your sleight of hand down first, then decide what gaff to buy, if any.

Good luck on your journey.

Jim
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2721 Posts

Profile of John Long
Some good thoughts.

Yet, I do think the answer depends on what level of coin magic you want to do, and how you want to approach it.

If you just want to do a few easy tricks to perform right away, consider the Scotch and Soda or Hopping Half coin sets. (Royal Magic has a "25 Amazing Magic Tricks with a Scotch & Soda" that is quite good for beginners, and you will learn some sleights from it as well.

If you are interested in a longer ride into coin magic, a utility coin like the C/S mentioned above. It allows some very astonishing effects

To continue further, as mentioned above, get some real English Pennies(copper), and some American half dollars.
Harry Lorayne's book "The Magic Book" has some nice C/S type routines, but doesn't require any gimmicks (and also has some non-coin work)

If you still want to learn more, Mike Ammar's "Coin Magic" DVD has a broad coverage of sleights. The teaching is good, and a short routine for each sleight.

Also, the first 3 DVD's of David Roth's "Expert Coin magic made easy" has good teaching, and better routines than Ammar's (in my opinion).

I do recommend one of those DVD's before delving into a book devoted to sleights - it helps sooooo much to see what the moves should look like.
If you are still interested after that, Bobo's "The New Modern Coin Magic" is a common reference, and Michael Rubinstein has some highly praised books on coin magic.

and the list can go on..

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin set for beginner? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL