The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Luke Jermay - Vanishing Inc Masterclass (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of Newb2
For those of you that were able to make the first live class today, any thoughts or reviews on the material covered?
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
His impromptu tossed-out wig raised an eyebrow or two.

(Sorry... ish. You got a free bump.)
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4289 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I absolutely loved the masterclass so far. I've seen Jermay lecture once before over a decade ago. I think it was possibly 13 years back if my memory serves me. He gave homework back then as well for those that picked up his lecture notes back then Smile For those wondering, this masterclass comes with homework, LoL. You are provided with a companion booklet and then an actual workbook (homework) to use in order to get a more practical understanding of the theory he covers in the first masterclass session. This is what I would consider the culmination of the direction and ideas he was heavily toying with back then when I had first seen him lecture. Here, it would appear to me that he has fleshed out and applied those burgeoning ideas from over a decade ago. So from an appreciation of witnessing another performer's growth in both performance and thinking, to me it's incredibly fascinating. The theories he had gone over in this first masterclass session in and of itself is still of high value of course even for someone who's first exposure to Luke Jermay is this masterclass.

Personally, I can't wait for this Sunday's session, Jermay said that I will be diabetic from all the effects he will be teaching (first session was strictly theory for which the rest of the month will be based on).
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
144 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2020, Jed Maxwell wrote:

I heard that Luke and Scott Alexander have joint custody of that wig
DanielChard
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, United Kingdom
113 Posts

Profile of DanielChard
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2020, ScarneAce wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2020, Jed Maxwell wrote:

I heard that Luke and Scott Alexander have joint custody of that wig

Oh dear 😂
You can purchase my Penguin Live Act here: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12238
-4.5 hours of explanation, psychology and thoughts from a working professional. 15 years experience working in the real world, I hold NOTHING BACK!
-1 x 45 min stand up act
- 1 x 15 min close up set
-10 killer effects designed to entertain and destroy your audience.

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Danielchardmagic
Instagram: @danielchardmagic
SharkTrager442
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of SharkTrager442
Thoughts on session two anyone?

I'm still mentally processing. Not what I expected.
mmbob
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of mmbob
I loved the Asi Wind masterclass, it was great and was packed with great tricks and advice. Excellent value and really enjoyable.
I’ve unfortunately been really disappointed with the Luke Jermay classes. I’m not sure if there has been a single trick taught so far and there was a large section about Tarot reading? Not what I expect at all. It’s strange because Vanishing Inc teased a great ACAAN on their Instagram.
SharkTrager442
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of SharkTrager442
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2020, mmbob wrote:
I’ve unfortunately been really disappointed with the Luke Jermay classes. I’m not sure if there has been a single trick taught so far and there was a large section about Tarot reading? Not what I expect at all. It’s strange because Vanishing Inc teased a great ACAAN on their Instagram.

Yeah the tarot stuff was a curveball I wasn't expecting. It felt like a practical joke.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4289 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
I loved the Asi Wind masterclass, it was great and was packed with great tricks and advice. Excellent value and really enjoyable.

There was quite a number of things tipped. The wet napkin idea, excellent idea. Paying with blank pieces of paper, another great idea. Memorizing the internet was probably the one thing that to me was worth the whole Masterclass. The tarot stuff wasn’t a surprise, his entire act now is basically him doing readings and essentially a Q&A act. That’s literally his act now.

I missed today’s lecture though. Will watch it tomorrow when it’s available to download.
CopperChopCup
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of CopperChopCup
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2020, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:

There was quite a number of things tipped. The wet napkin idea, excellent idea. Paying with blank pieces of paper, another great idea. Memorizing the internet was probably the one thing that to me was worth the whole Masterclass. The tarot stuff wasn’t a surprise, his entire act now is basically him doing readings and essentially a Q&A act. That’s literally his act now.

I missed today’s lecture though. Will watch it tomorrow when it’s available to download.

These Masterclasses are $75 each though. I think the expectation is to get fleshed our routines instead of “here’s an interesting idea you can do...”
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4289 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2020, CopperChopCup wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

These Masterclasses are $75 each though. I think the expectation is to get fleshed our routines instead of “here’s an interesting idea you can do...”

I think what you’ve described is the exact thing that Luke has been pivoting away from in recent years so I suppose the question is really what are the participants of these Masterclasses looking for. If it’s to learn about what a performer is currently doing then Jermay’s lectures has been pretty much that (what he has been personally doing) but if it’s the typical format of effect performance and then explanation just to have that arbitrary format then Jermay’s lectures here will likely disappoint. Let’s put it this way, on the Jermay’s Mind video set, the most valuable material on there may very much be his discussion on how to do readings, so that kind of gives people an idea of where he is now rather than what he originally started off with.

Skimming through yesterday’s lecture this morning however, it does appear that he teaches several effects in the last session (they appear to be effects with cards) so, perhaps the last session was more of what you were expecting?
maxgician
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of maxgician
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2020, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2020, CopperChopCup wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think what you’ve described is the exact thing that Luke has been pivoting away from in recent years so I suppose the question is really what are the participants of these Masterclasses looking for. If it’s to learn about what a performer is currently doing then Jermay’s lectures has been pretty much that (what he has been personally doing) but if it’s the typical format of effect performance and then explanation just to have that arbitrary format then Jermay’s lectures here will likely disappoint. Let’s put it this way, on the Jermay’s Mind video set, the most valuable material on there may very much be his discussion on how to do readings, so that kind of gives people an idea of where he is now rather than what he originally started off with.

Skimming through yesterday’s lecture this morning however, it does appear that he teaches several effects in the last session (they appear to be effects with cards) so, perhaps the last session was more of what you were expecting?

You are right. Satisfaction depends on your expectations. What surprised me was the use of the word "miracle". I thought, we start with low ambitions... Smile Then, I have re-connected this moon shot with a technique designers use for innovation. Let's try to go to the extreme and see what happens for the everyday challenge. It is a way to think outside the box. I would use, the Luke Jermay's masterclass as a way to try to reconsider our magic at the light of this impossible challenge: the miracle. Of course I am a bit concerned about the usability of some principles for a different persona. Jermay is a mind reader, his shows are in the last years Q&A acts and of course all the rules fit very well with his stage character. Nevertheless, I am eager to try to apply the idea to my magic and see if new ideas or awareness arise.
Another point I would like to underline: I was surprised by the booklet He shared. It seemed something well prepared not the usual "well, I'll show you another trick if we have time..." It seemed planned and intentional. Sometimes the results are not consistent with the intentions but I am eager to see the final outcomes.
Warmly.
Max
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4289 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2020, maxgician wrote:
You are right. Satisfaction depends on your expectations. What surprised me was the use of the word "miracle". I thought, we start with low ambitions... Smile Then, I have re-connected this moon shot with a technique designers use for innovation. Let's try to go to the extreme and see what happens for the everyday challenge. It is a way to think outside the box. I would use, the Luke Jermay's masterclass as a way to try to reconsider our magic at the light of this impossible challenge: the miracle. Of course I am a bit concerned about the usability of some principles for a different persona. Jermay is a mind reader, his shows are in the last years Q&A acts and of course all the rules fit very well with his stage character. Nevertheless, I am eager to try to apply the idea to my magic and see if new ideas or awareness arise.
Another point I would like to underline: I was surprised by the booklet He shared. It seemed something well prepared not the usual "well, I'll show you another trick if we have time..." It seemed planned and intentional. Sometimes the results are not consistent with the intentions but I am eager to see the final outcomes.
Warmly.
Max

The booklets interestingly enough, I believe he’s had a form of it and continuously iterated on it from as far back as 10+ years ago. It was part of his Tannen’s lecture notes (which later was fleshed out more, the notes, which became 3510). That was also a very fun thing to experience, seeing just how far he has come fleshing our those ideas from 10+ years ago. So what one is getting in the VI Masterclass here is actually his real work, stuff that he has predominantly focused on. This idea of transcending tricks and performance so that he would have what he calls miracles. Like he explains on the masterclass, he does the actual tricks in casual settings as part of his approach to building up the narrative for his persona and then on stage he’s mainly doing a Q&A act. It’s really a great approach and I think performers and hobbyists alike can actually apply much of his ideas to their own work in order to elevate their own material.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I just have this image of him giving his dirty shoelace as a 'gift' to his participant and walking around the party for the rest of the night with his shoe flopping around...
Lakewood, Ohio
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4289 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2020, j100taylor wrote:
I just have this image of him giving his dirty shoelace as a 'gift' to his participant and walking around the party for the rest of the night with his shoe flopping around...

I’m sure he’s a professional and carries around extra contrasting shoelaces exactly for such situations. LoL.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
He was just cashing out. It’s a shame Vanishing inc decided to call it Masterclass. He is now a tarot reader not a mentalist.
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
144 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
Guess Luke makes more money doing tarot than mentalism. Can't blame him. I think mentalism wise he peaked early on (after 7 deceptions) and wasn't able to keep it up, not to mention all the stories of him not fulfilling orders
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1263 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
The best part of this Masterclass is reading all these silly comments.
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of corindaman
For me he has ‘strayed’ far too much towards the psychic side of the Art. I was disappointed and I agree that it was wrongly advertised as a master class. As for his business sense, he was booked three times to lecture at my local club but forgot to put it in his diary on each occasion. Not impressed.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Peaked early on with 7 Deceptions, true, that was a very fascinating book for a 15 year old to put out. But not able to keep it up since then? Did you not see his dvd sets?

I havent seen this masterclass, so I don't know what its like. But to say he's a Tarot Reader and not a mentalist? His act is a Q&A act, which is sort of the epitome of mentalism. and doesn't Corinda say something like giving readings is the purest form of mentalism?

Anyway, I don't have duck in this horse race.

All the best,
Dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Luke Jermay - Vanishing Inc Masterclass (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL