The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dancers Thumbs by Hugo Valenzuela (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Https://youtu.be/Fs-h69OsNUs I have seen it all.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6588 Posts

Profile of RNK
LOL! That's to funny! $50 though....hmmm... I actually see some great comedy potential with this, fits my silly humor. Just wonder how the thumbs look close up, skin tone matching the thumbs...
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I was thinking the same thing RNK.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6588 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, MR Effecto wrote:
I was thinking the same thing RNK.

I just took the plunge Mr. Effecto! I will let you know how it is after I get it!
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I almost just did. Will wait to hear your thoughts!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6588 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, MR Effecto wrote:
I almost just did. Will wait to hear your thoughts!

👍🤞it's good. I might get it in this weekend.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4689 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
OH my god that bloody backing music lol, looks a lot of fun though.
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
387 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
I almost order too,but in video the TT color is already different, so I may wait a little.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1296 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I give this one two thumbs up.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6588 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well, looks like I won't be getting this over the weekend. Penguin only created the shipping label Wednesday, Aug. 5th when I ordered it and still has yet to deliver the package to the post office. Big bummer. Oh well, I'm not used to Penguin holding onto orders as they are usually very good about shipping. Hope this is not a trend that continues.
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Barbara, CA
315 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
OMG too funny lol. I would totally use this as well. Let us know about the gimmick when you receive it.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3010 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Love the idea, but I’m betting this will be 50% off at Hocus Pocus by the end of the year.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
RNK I have this happen a few times lately with penguin magic.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6588 Posts

Profile of RNK
Huh... I was thinking maybe they are trying to limit their tripdto the post office due to Covid but I am sure they are getting orders for priority mail that need to go out the same day.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6588 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2020, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Love the idea, but I’m betting this will be 50% off at Hocus Pocus by the end of the year.

It's possible but we will have to wait and see how practical it is and how it looks live. For me, I already know that it's going to play very funny with my audience and be a lot of fun for all. So fingers crossed. Though if it doesn't work out for me I'm sure it'll work out for someone else and you can usually always sell it for 50% of what you paid for it and so it is pretty much a wash anyway.

But I can't even watch the instructions because they are not on penguin ☹️ and must be on a link that's included with the package. oh well, hopefully it follows the old saying, good things come to those who wait! Lol....
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6588 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well, I received this yesterday and even though it was held for a few days I still received it within 4 working days from the day I ordered- Thank You Penguin! I should have known better in questioning your shipping, especially since it was free shipping.

Now onto the trick. Well, is it what I thought it would be? Yes but don't expect a manufactured gimmick, this was definitely hand made and nothing high-tech. Now, in saying that, will the gimmick last or is it durable? Obviously if you don't crush (bend) it by accident, I think it should last. I say "think" because it is possible that the material used to make the thumb move back and forth is connected with black electrical tape and overtime you never know (think metal on a tape measure). But I believe it's a slim chance the tape will give or loosen and if it does it seems as though you can fix it without much of a problem. The thumb animation you see on the video, sliding back and forth, bopping front to back, is easy to replicate with the gimmick. The thumb is easy to load and remove from the gimmick. So all in all, the "get ready" right before the animation part of the routine and the thumb animation movements are easily achievable with the gimmick. No issues on that part with me.

The video explanation/tutorial is just shy of 14 minutes. Hugo teaches 3 different performances. Two of which you take your jacket off and perform the routine. One handling is more for parlour or close-up situations and the other is for stage performance. The 3rd routine uses a scarf or any other decent size hankerchief and you have to retrieve the gimmick from your outer shirt or jacket that you have on. When your done with the routine the gimmick falls back in place within your jacket/shirt.

The problem I do have with this routine is two things: 1) not so sure this can be performed close-up and I so badly hoped you could. I will have to try and perform it close-up and see if the specs immediately notice the thumb discrepancies and judge the distance from which this will look better in their eyes. Now, I did not buy this thinking it was going to be a "Magicians Fooler" or a MEGA FOOLING trick for my audience. I did purchase this for a one off "fun and visually entertaining" routine for my audience to laugh at. I have plenty other material that can silence my audience in amazement if I need to. I will have to report back with reactions and opinions of the people I perform it for in regards to close-up situations. Now, for stage or parlour settings I do think this will work well if you can live with the gimmick being attached to your jacket/outer shirt. I am not a big fan of having things attached to my jacket when performing but if the effect is fun and pleasing to my audience I will make an exception, i.e. Bandwith from Gregory Wilson - I used a good bit. And I love this concept and idea of the plot with using thumbs but just need to judge some reactions from my audience first before I know if this will make it into one of my close-up performing sets. For stage/parlour, yes, I think I would add it. I say "think" because of point #2, the second issue I have with this.

2) The use if the stickers. First, you only get one set of stickers with your purchase. Now for $50 and a hand-made gimmick I would think you would get additional stickers. But that's ok, you can easily find replacement stickers online or at something like a Michael's craft store. My other issue with the stickers is transporting them when doing strolling or close-up work. Hugo suggests getting a tin (like a business card holder) to place the stickers in and store them when not in use yet. Then when your ready to perform you take the tin out and retrieve the stickers. And actually, Hugo uses the tin in his stage performance to re-ditch one of stickers right after you put it on (which will take a little practice to get smooth). So I get the use of the tin but for close-up/strolling work, carrying the tin lends to less pocket space you will have.

As for the angles? Obviously you have to have everyone in front of you when performing this. No one can be standing directly to your sides. Not a deal crusher for me, just have to manage them all to stand in front and explain to them that in order to witness this crazy thumb stunt they will want to be watching strait on or else they will miss it! Yeah, you will always have those few people that won't listen and only want to know the secret. Even though I try to prevent those "few" from seeing things, my real focus is on the people that listen and want to be entertained.

So for $50.00 are you going to be disappointed? I am sure some will and I think some won't. I am not entirely disappointed, only slightly because of how the gimmick needs to be attached (clothing restrictions) to a jacket or outer shirt and the point of the practicality (mainly the get ready with using the stickers) of performing this in close-up situations. But the attachment of the gimmick has to be because there would be no way of bringing the gimmick in and out without your audience noticing.

Hope this review helps others here on the fence.

RNK
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Thanks for the review RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6588 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2020, MR Effecto wrote:
Thanks for the review RNK

Most welcome! If you have any questions just let me know.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3010 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I went ahead and got this too, and am quite impressed with it. The gimmick is clever, complex, and obviously built by hand. Mine works exactly as it's supposed to. It looks as though it will be durable. It's also the kind of thing that wouldn't be hard to fix, once you have the basic idea, but I don't anticipate that being necessary.

The explanation video is 14 minutes long, and offers three different ways to present the effect, two of which involve removing your jacket, and the last one can be done with a nice silk handkerchief, a cloth napkin you might pick up off a table, a foulard, or whatever. The cloth can be shown to be empty both before and after the routine, provided that you are wearing a jacket. The video is very well done. It really leaves no questions, but also doesn't have any fluff.

In addition to the main gimmick, there is one small gimmick included that is common - every magician has one - and its usefulness will vary depending on your skin tone. I'm lucky because the one I received matches well, but I also have a couple in a drawer that match even better, and there's no problem swapping them out.

I got this because I mainly do shows for children and seniors, and I thought this would be something entertaining and visual to throw into the middle of a set. It definitely ticks those boxes, and I'm looking forward to practicing and using this.

IMO, this is a great and fun routine, and is priced very fairly.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
sileeni
View Profile
Veteran user
UK.
334 Posts

Profile of sileeni
Would it be possible do do us a video of the effect? Its always great to see a real world performance from a pro, instead off a creator.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dancers Thumbs by Hugo Valenzuela (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL