The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do I make magic flow? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
32 Posts

Profile of notasperfectasyou
I'm a beginner, but a determined beginner. This is my first thread!

Spot the problem: I did a little miracle for some friends using an invisible deck and they loved it and wanted to see more magic. So I pulled out a different deck that was gimmicked with double backed cards and did a second miracle. I followed that with a third effect with two other gimmicked decks that I had a card disappear from one deck and appear in the other deck. Then someone says, why do you have to switch the decks?

I'm having fun learning new magic, buying stuff on the internet and practicing, practicing and practicing somemore. But, the more magic I buy, the greater the problem I now see - how do I string these things together so it makes sense? Clearly, what I have been doing says "there is a gimmick to all this so I have to switch the decks I'm using". That don't flow and it really spoils the intention of the magic. I'm not trying to be a pro. But, I want to be able to present 3-4 miracles together for friends and family (and maybe on occasion for others).

Part of me thinks I need to make a bridge between effects, maybe do something with a deck of cards and then do something with a quarter, and then do something with a different deck of cards. But, that also seems cluncky. Are there books, or dvd's about this? Am I thinking about it all wrong? It seems that needing to have 4 different decks of cards with me to perform 3 differnt effects is way less than ideal. I just want to be able to polish this up a bit. Thanks for any advice you have. Ken
jim ferguson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ayrshire, Scotland
284 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Try not to carry so many decks at once. Do you do any tricks with regular cards ?

You could do two, maybe three tricks with a regular deck first. Ideally these would be two or three pieces you have routined into a small "set" (so they flow nicely from one to the other).

Then pocket the deck and do something else - a coin trick or two, sponge balls, a hanky trick etc. Then to finish, do your invisible deck routine (removing the invisible deck from the same pocket you placed the regular deck in).

This is just an example of course.

An actual deck switch is always an option, but as you mentioned you are new to the craft, those are better off left alone just now.

Jim
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8855 Posts

Profile of funsway
You are walking a difficult path, but seem willing to put in the effort, and recognize the problem. Hoozah!

The ability to segue from one effect to another, or create a complete routine/show that flows requires a lot more mastered effects for choose from.
That will come with time. One thing you can do is follow what you have learned about "spoiling the magic."

NEVER perform two effects in the same show that require you to put one away and pull out another (packet tricks either).
Applies to coins, silks ropes, whatever. For example, don't do a Coins Across with four coins, put them away and then pull out an Okito box with four different matching coins.
If you use a wand in one effect, use it in all effects.

In short, while you can't so much to create flow, avoid anything that breaks flow.

Right now you just doing a series of tricks. As you start to ask, "How do I create the conditions where magic will happen" the answers will come to you.
For now, you work on mastering skills and enlarging repertoire. Opinion - your mastered sleights should always be greater than the tricks purchased.

Get a book or two.

In couple on months post how you entertained for a half hour impromptu using only objects found on the dinner table Smile

Performing magic is incredible. It doesn't come in a box. Tricks do, not magic.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10020 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think you are learning the difference between executing magic and performing magic. Beginners tend to focus on how to do the trick, rather than how to present and perform it. The method or execution and mechanics are only important to you (behind the scenes), however, it is the presentation and performance which is where the entertainment value is which is what is targeted to the audience or recipient, which is what matters most to everyone else.

Presentation and performance is where reasoning, congruency, and so many other components come into play. This is where magic is created, not in the execution of the trick.

Also, I will give what is likely the most valuable information anyone here will give you, although you may not understand or realize it until further down the road in your journey... The thing that separates performance from just executing a string of tricks is in the transitions between the elements. The story, the reasoning, the purpose, the progression. It what creates the overall effect and forward progression of a performance.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
946 Posts

Profile of Aus
I have written about this in the past to someone with a similar situation. You can find my explanation here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=41

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do I make magic flow? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL