The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ring and Rope: Scripted 33 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Check this out!
A ring is cleanly openly put onto a rope (and according to the ad, nothing is added or taken away)

scripted_33
Online video https://www.lybrary.com/scripted-33-ring......897.html

The ad states:
"Simple. Easy to perform. Almost surrounded. No gimmicks, no gaffs. Everything's examinable, and nothing is added or taken away."

Given the stated conditions I'm stumped by this one. Has anyone purchased this or seen it performed?

If I could to see the rest of the routine I could be interested in shelling out $10.
John

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
I've been curious about that one too! The strange handling in the video doesn't seem to line up with the description.

Murf
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Interesting clip of his first effect/move. Of course it is an old (old, old) move developed and found in Willi Wessel's "Close-up Ring and Rope Routine" (a great and pretty much forgotten routine). I suspect that Larry Brodahl's routine is a clever use of elements from several other routines (which is pretty much what every routine out there today consists of). If I remember correctly the routine runs about three minutes and involves 5 or 6 effects. Short, visual, and magical.

I've seen it performed. I'd say it is as good as Aldo Colombini's "Ringing Around Too".
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The advertising blurb is accurate. Nothing is added or taken away at anytime. All you need to perform the routine is a length of rope and a ring.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi John. The ring and rope. Something I’ve picked up, played around with, and then put away. For audiences, I’ve only ever incorporated it into a longer “fiber optics” type routine..where the ring comes off...just one phase while a spectator is holding the ring...before I go into the multi phase routine with just the ropes. But I’ve been intrigued by the premise of just a single rope and a ring and years ago I purchased a manuscript explaining a routine and moves that came highly recommended. But I still didn’t do much with it. The few (and I mean very few) performances of it that I have seen don’t have the right build up in my eyes at least. Making the link/unlink look increasingly more impossible by doing things like threading the rope through the ring multiple times or tying a knot onto the ring itself had the opposite effect on me. It looked less magical, more like a puzzle, forcing the audience to watch really carefully just to keep up... Again, I’m just trying to articulate how I have personally felt watching just a few performances...and I clearly have not seen many, and not full performances by the great names in the business...and I had only purchased 1 manuscript. All that will tell you how little I know!

Then I saw a performance by someone on the Magic Café that really made me realize how magical such a routine could look. No fishy moves, short, not repetitive and very direct. So I was at a point where I wanted to create a routine with an original script/presentation for myself and I see your enquiry about Larry Brodahl’s routine. So I purchased it and I’m very happy I did. Harry is spot on. Larry’s routine is essentially 4 phases with 5 moves being taught. I’m already thinking about incorporating 4 of those moves (3 of Larry’s phases) into a 5 phase routine using a different opening phase and a different closing phase. I’ve been looking around for a nice closing phase for a while that ticks my boxes and I think I may have found it in a DVD I also just recently purchased. If you get Larry’s manuscript you also get to see his full performance. In the manuscript he provides full credits so you might consider writing to him to find out what moves he teaches. For me, his material really helped me move my own ring and rope routine forward and I’m really glad Larry has shared his routine. John
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If anyone is looking for "Ring and Rope" effects, the late Philip Willmarth was the main source for magic using a ring and rope. He is no longer with us, but his rope tricks lives on with his booklets and lecture notes at Magic Methods.

https://magicmethods.com/p/books-media/a......re-notes
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Guys: Thanks for the comments. I may check into some of the those sources.

Kanawati: I can identify with some of the things you mentioned. Personally, I found a ring and rope routine to be most effective when done close-up.
I'm curious, who's & what routine from the MC did you think so highly of? Whit Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knot?

Murph: "The strange handling in the video": I know what you mean. Yet, although I have(too) many sources for rope magic, I don't recall seeing that move done before - it really caught my attention and completely fooled me when I first saw it.

Thanks again;
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi John, I'm already a fan of Pop Haydn's work (I've learnt two routines from his published material) but the ring and rope routine I was referring to was performed by Denis Fabre (corneille on the Café). You can find it on "day 37" in the following thread:
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......start=40

I really liked that first move/phase that Larry Brodahl does and like Harry said, Larry does credit it to Willi Wessel. But in the routine I'm developing, I have incorporated the other 3 phases that Larry performs, I've left that first phase out! John
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Denis is a very intense performer - no chance for one to catch his breath.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Very nice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ring and Rope: Scripted 33 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL