The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Wanted - amazing effects based on a Stacked Deck (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I am pretty new to magic. I have mastered some basic sleights (cull, some forces, false shuffles false cuts, basic double lift etc) and keen to progress.
I can't do anything super-advanced (pass, top change, faro etc.)

But I have learnt a stack (Joyal, 6 Hour).
I am happily exploring lots of stack-independent effects.

I just read this thread -
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=205
It has an intriguing post (from Cohiba) that suggests that if you want to create a stack, you should start by choosing ONE mind-blowing stack-dependent effect you will build your stack around.

So my question (as a newbie) is what effects would people recommend???
Doesn't need to be totally self-working, but needs to be achievable without knuckle-busting skills.

ALSO - the stack must of course appear random. So this would seem to rule out something like Further Than That.

Getting the deck into NDO order from random would be pretty cool - so long as it didn't need faros like in Mnemonica

Thanks.
NIK
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Simon Aronson's The Invisible Card is a great memdeck routine to start out with. It will really help you to get your confidence with a memdeck and it blows people away. It's pretty much the Invisible Deck with an ungaffed deck. It's in Try The Impossible:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11322
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks Landmark,
Invisible Card is a great effect - but I already know it. Maybe I under-estimate its impact, but it doesn't seem to me to be a real mind-blower.
Also - the method is based on memorising any stack. There are plenty of great stack-independent mem-deck effects out there.
I am asking about effects where the stack itself is the method (e.g. Further Than That)
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
789 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Simon Aronson has lots of great material. Here is a free PDF of his introduction to memdeck magic:

http://simonaronson.com/Memories%20Are%2......This.pdf

Then consider getting Simon's "Bound to Please" and "Try the Impossible".

Juan Tamariz' "Mnemonica"

Woody Aragon: "Memorandum" book and "Memorized Deck Set" DVD.

Just don't forget the advice of Harry Lorayne, THE authority on memory work and of course a card magic legend:

"LEARN STUFF YOU CAN DO WITH A BORROWED DECK"
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Honestly I do not think there is any particular stack dependent effect that can not be approximated by other stacks or methods.
Your mileage may vary.

That being said if you can faro and make mind numbing run shuffles look natural or do table work, then the Redford stack might be of particular interest.

Memorandum is also interesting as a compromise between Aronson and Mnemonica.

As others have mentioned knowing how to kill with a SDIU will serve you well. Most likely more than any particular stack.

But of all else remember 2% is method, 8% is acting and 90% is business.

If all you want to do is a neat card trick, buy the Royal Road and get on with living the good life.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks for your replies.
Actually I already know various FASDIU effects.

Maybe I asked the question the wrong way - I am just interested (in this thread) in what effects people like that are (1) based on a stack that is not obvious (ie can be spread) (2) do not require advanced sleights.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Might check out Nick Trost, Stewart James, The Cardiste<3, Simon’s Eyes by Simon Aronson etc.
There’ll be compromises for sure.
Some go about taking small stacks that don’t get disordered during their tricks, then building their stack to remember across the faro wheel.
Then deciding on one of the states to memorize.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Well, I think I learnt something of interesting and useful from this -
Most people seem to agree the best mem-deck effects will work with any men-deck. It's not the specific stack that matters - just the fact that you know where all the cards are.

ALSO I figured out a very quick way to get into Bannon Triumph.
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
For me, it's easily the box shift ACAAN. Asi Wind released a version, but once when I called it his, someone corrected me. Regardless, I don't know of another resource that teaches it.

Another simple but mind blowing thing is to just bust into a red / black thing where you occasionally say the actual card. That always seems to slay.
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2020, Nikodemus wrote:
I am pretty new to magic. I have mastered some basic sleights (cull, some forces, false shuffles false cuts, basic double lift etc) and keen to progress.
I can't do anything super-advanced (pass, top change, faro etc.)

But I have learnt a stack (Joyal, 6 Hour).
I am happily exploring lots of stack-independent effects.

I just read this thread -
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=205
It has an intriguing post (from Cohiba) that suggests that if you want to create a stack, you should start by choosing ONE mind-blowing stack-dependent effect you will build your stack around.

So my question (as a newbie) is what effects would people recommend???
Doesn't need to be totally self-working, but needs to be achievable without knuckle-busting skills.

ALSO - the stack must of course appear random. So this would seem to rule out something like Further Than That.

Getting the deck into NDO order from random would be pretty cool - so long as it didn't need faros like in Mnemonica

Thanks.
NIK

I perform the effect "Immoderate Deception" by Doug Dyment....

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=205 (see the post of landmark)

Best regards! ;-)
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks for all the replies.
I notice most of them are for stack INDEPENDENT tricks, which was not what I actually asked about. Interesting anyway though!

JBSmith1978 - I have a book by Nick Trost, so I will check that. Thanks.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
"Up The Ante " by Martyn Smith is worth a look.
Allen
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
How about amazing effects with a borrowed deck?
Have I wasted my time putting so many of those in books?
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2022, Harry Lorayne wrote:
How about amazing effects with a borrowed deck?
Have I wasted my time putting so many of those in books?

Not at all!
fybd88
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of fybd88
Pit Hartling's In Order To Amaze has lots of amazing staff.
DragonLore
View Profile
New user
Toronto
78 Posts

Profile of DragonLore
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2020, Nikodemus wrote:

That’s certainly one way to choose a stack.

Another approach is to focus on e.g. ease of learning of a stack and not to worry about built-in tricks in a stack. That’s where algorithmic stacks come in.

Doug Dyment makes this point in Calculated Thought. He also has a good overview on full deck stacks on his website. https://www.deceptionary.com/aboutstacks.html

Matt Baker’s The Buena Vista Shuffle Club is also a good source for mem deck magic.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Lennart green has an amazing stack called (I think) Recycling Poker. And if you want a really amazing Black Jack Stack there is one in Bob Farmers Bammo Ten Card Deal book. Woody Aragon spelling routine is great too.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks stickmondoo!
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2022, Nikodemus wrote:
I notice most of them are for stack INDEPENDENT tricks, which was not what I actually asked about. Interesting anyway though!

Hi Nikodemus, could you provide an example or list some characteristics of a MIND-BLOWING effect that you are looking for?

This will enable fellow magicians to suggest potential STACK-DEPENDENT effects that match your description or preferences.
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2020, Nikodemus wrote:
ALSO I figured out a very quick way to get into Bannon Triumph.

I'm interested to know what your quick way is.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Wanted - amazing effects based on a Stacked Deck (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL