The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » ClipStick Switch by Alexander May (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Machina
View Profile
Elite user
404 Posts

Profile of Machina
ClipStick Switch - Alexander May

Just had a look at this new prediction billet switch, called ClipStick Switch by Alexander May.

The big selling point for me that made it different from other switches was the fact that when you do the switch and open the billet, you actually show the billet AND both hands completely cleanly and openly - the act of doing the switch actually hides everything so you never have to go to the pockets or somewhere do get rid of any dirty work.

If you watch the trailer you see everything in action numerous times, and it does exactly what it says on the box. It says it was made especially for virtual shows, and it certainly looks convincing having that billet shown so cleanly and neither hand ever having to leave the screen. With some changes you'll be able to do this switch in live shows as well.

Check it out here, if you do any mentalism over Zoom, Skype or other video call you should get it.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/14049
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6432 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Completely agree. Alexander sent me a preview copy to get my thoughts on it. Well, it looks and plays exactly as shown in the video. For those that are working on Zoom and online effects then this is one for your arsenal. I'm pretty sure one of the TV performers will probably be using it eventually because it's perfect for an online TV appearance.

Once you have it and know the works, you'll be able to predict just about anything. You can also use the same idea if you have an effect that uses an index of outs.

Well, not much more to say. I know once it's out there I'll probably being seeing some of the guys using it in there online sessions.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
286 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Thank you guys for your great reviews! So glad to hear you have such positive thoughts regarding this switch.

It really came about because I wanted to do a strong prediction routine during video calls and Zoom shows. I felt that for it to be really convincing you need to keep the prediction on camera, and more importantly, both your hands in frame when you open the prediction. Doing things on camera automatically has that stigma of "camera trick" attached to it, so by showing everything the entire time and in their view throughout, it completely destroys that "explanation."

Also just wanted to give a big thank you to Elliott Bresler who generously gave his time to research this for me and make sure it is original.

PS. If you are looking for a place to get the clip online, simply search for 'table place card holder clip' - here is one possibility: https://amzn.to/2EPlJJa
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2588 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Aha that's why he messaged me Smile

Looks good btw
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
286 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Thank you! Yes, I think Post Justify was one of his first stops to check (:
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
286 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Just wanted to share some feedback from more people who also know what they are talking about Smile

"Bold, deceptive, simple, clean and ideal for online performances. The perfect technique for these unprecedented times."
- Elliott Bresler

"This is a very effective routine for Zoom Shows. Easy to perform and looks really clean! Well done!”
- Luca Volpe

"This is a great switching aesthetic and technique to predict anything."
- Pablo Amira

"Simple, easy to do and effective!"
- Lior Manor

"With all the technical stresses that come with performing virtually, this simple yet powerful reveal is a great addition to a Zoom show. It's foolproof, stress-free, low-tech and leaves them amazed!
- Kyle & Mistie Knight

"This is brilliant and absolutely convincing. Best switch innovation in a long time. Gets my recommendation."
- Chris Wasshuber, Lybrary
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2294 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
One of the best purchases of the year. I even ordered some flash post it notes from Propdog as a nice ending or transition piece.
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
286 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Very glad to hear you love it! The idea of using flash Post-It notes are genius, thanks for sharing Smile It will make for a very visual finish to the routine, and get rid of absolutely everything!
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2020, bevbevvybev wrote:
Aha that's why he messaged me Smile

Looks good btw

Busted!!
I would never dream of commenting on a Post-It move without first reviewing your monumental and excellent work on the subject.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I should add that this is a really nice switch!

Elliott
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
286 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Thank you Elliott, and an even bigger thank you for so generously offering your time and assistance with this!
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
You're very welcome!

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2020, alexander_may wrote:
Thank you guys for your great reviews! So glad to hear you have such positive thoughts regarding this switch.

It really came about because I wanted to do a strong prediction routine during video calls and Zoom shows. I felt that for it to be really convincing you need to keep the prediction on camera, and more importantly, both your hands in frame when you open the prediction. Doing things on camera automatically has that stigma of "camera trick" attached to it, so by showing everything the entire time and in their view throughout, it completely destroys that "explanation."

Also just wanted to give a big thank you to Elliott Bresler who generously gave his time to research this for me and make sure it is original.

PS. If you are looking for a place to get the clip online, simply search for 'table place card holder clip' - here is one possibility: https://amzn.to/2EPlJJa

Thanks!! I bought these. They are only a few inches high, but do the trick (pun unintended).
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
These Clips are great for many switches. They even help facilitate some switches. I just tried 6.
But the ClipStick Switch still has a really nice advantage for online performances.
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
286 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Sadly it seems that someone feels that it's OK to change one detail (using an Ostin Clip instead) and claiming it to be an original creation ☹

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=218
johnhsawyer
View Profile
New user
Florida
53 Posts

Profile of johnhsawyer
That's disappointing. I've created some of my own versions of the exact same thing at home with those clips. They work best on Zoom because it doesn't look nearly as good in person as the Ostin Clip. You can get away with more on a virtual performance due to the poor quality and lack of real close-up viewing.

Love your ClipStick and handling. Nice work!

-jhs
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1536 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2020, alexander_may wrote:
Sadly it seems that someone feels that it's OK to change one detail (using an Ostin Clip instead) and claiming it to be an original creation ☹

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=218

The use of an Ostin Clip with a billet stand goes back to Corinda (p.186).

Barry
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
286 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2020, johnhsawyer wrote:
That's disappointing. I've created some of my own versions of the exact same thing at home with those clips. They work best on Zoom because it doesn't look nearly as good in person as the Ostin Clip. You can get away with more on a virtual performance due to the poor quality and lack of real close-up viewing.

Love your ClipStick and handling. Nice work!

-jhs

Thank you very much, very glad to hear you like it!
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
286 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2020, mindmagic wrote:

The use of an Ostin Clip with a billet stand goes back to Corinda (p.186).

Barry

Clearly the fact that something has been published before doesn't matter to some people. Seems that taking my presentation with an original idea, and exchanging one part with an old idea, is enough to now call it their original creation in their minds...
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
The promo video did look pretty similar to your trick.
It is possible that it was all a case of independent invention. It happens
But that doesn't help that crappy feeling you must be experiencing at this time.
Hopefully, you are at least credited, or soon will be.
Has anyone seen the full product?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » ClipStick Switch by Alexander May (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL