The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Antecedents of Maven's "Instant Astonishment" Move Finger Chart (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of James Warren
In Bill Herz's "Secrets of the Astonishing Executive" the first effect is Maven's "Instant Astonishment" chart. Does anyone where I can find other variations or older versions of this same type of effect (think of a white square, move left or right to the nearest gray square, etc.) Thanks.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6641 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, you're in luck. Jheff Poncher will soon be putting his work on this idea. I'm not sure if it will be a printed book or ebook, but it is filled with many variations.

You can probably contact him via the Café and find out when it is expected.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
398 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Thanks for the plug, Greg. Unfortunately, this is not quite correct. It is true that I am preparing a book filled with a variety of routines, many of which involve fingers and objects moving around a grid. So I think there will be material in there that you will be interested in. However, the basic principle is not Max Maven's idea. It's based on an entirely different principle that's been around for about sixty years. Right now, I can't tell you when it would be coming out, but I'm shooting for the end of this year.
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
398 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2020, Jheff wrote:
Thanks for the plug, Greg. Unfortunately, this is not quite correct. It is true that I am preparing a book filled with a variety of routines, many of which involve fingers and objects moving around a grid. So I think there will be material in there that you will be interested in. However, the basic principle is not Max Maven's idea. It's based on an entirely different principle that's been around for about sixty years. Right now, I can't tell you when it would be coming out, but I'm shooting for the end of this year.

The book, which is called Parimental, is now available. What started out as a meager little book with a few routines grew into a 200 page exploration of a very easy principle that Martin Gardner first published in 1960 and many, more routines. These routines, most of which can be classified as self-working, can work in a variety of venues and are easily customizable to whatever theme you need. The limited edition, which includes props for two routines, one of which is not in the book, is available now until May 15 or until the 100 sets are sold out. Afterward, the book will be available by itself and from select other dealers, too. Anyhow, it's available through Marketplace of the Mind now. The link is in my signature.
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1302 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Is this the type of routine were you have the precipitant select an item mentally, then count so many space in a certain direction, then eliminate items until the selected choice?

Are there any performance examples?
Such as Max Maven Mind Games?

GO HERE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkjQFkHmR2Y
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4566 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Jheff, is your book just exploring effects based on Gardner's parity principle (which if I remember correctly, first showed up in his "Planets" grid)?

I believe that Max is credited with a different version where the participant is instructed to make predetermined moves usually based on moving in one of two directions to, say, the nearest square of a certain color, or using some other characteristic (such as gender identity with pictures of celebrities).

I asked Max at a lecture if there was some sort of "shortcut" in creating these maze-like grids, and he told me that there was none and just use trial and error. Although I have a feeling that after creating so many, Max has a solid intuition that guides him in creating this fairly rapidly.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
398 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2022, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Jheff, is your book just exploring effects based on Gardner's parity principle (which if I remember correctly, first showed up in his "Planets" grid)?

Yes. The book covers Gardner's Parity Principle, not Max's, which is different and proprietary with him. But I've included twenty or so routines and lots of techniques and ideas to bring it into the twenty-first century and to provide much logical disconnect. I'm not familiar with the "Planets" grid you speak of, but, to my knowledge, the principle first appeared in a fall issue of Scientific American 1960.

-- Jheff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Antecedents of Maven's "Instant Astonishment" Move Finger Chart (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL