The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need to get one side "rimless" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
467 Posts

Profile of martysh
Maybe you guys can help me....
I need to take a half dollar and take off the rim on say the heads side of the coin ... the rim ...the edge that sticks up a slight bit on the very edge of the coin.
I have tried my dremel tool and it came out a bit rough...

my guess is a small lathe. which I guess I would have to seek out...

was thinking a hand flat file.

before I start destroying a few old coins I might hope you all can give me a clue

thanks in advance

Marty
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5150 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Are you trying to make a "soft" coin? If so, you might want to rub it flat on some wet & dry sandpaper for metal to get it started as well as even. Then do the fine tuning with a file. It will take a good bit of time though but it will work as a DIY project. I used both of these in the opposite order making a Slippery Sam shell from an expanded shell. I filed the edge down where needed and fine tuned with the sandpaper.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22739 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Martysh, after you removed the rim, you still have some work to do. You will need to get a buffing wheel and Jewelers rouge and buff the rough edge.

Look up on line how to polish silver with a buffing wheel. You can get a buffing wheel for your Dremel tool, best to get a stand for it, so you can have better control of the buffing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need to get one side "rimless" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL