The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Gaffed & Funky Ľ Ľ Three cards in paper bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Juglr
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Juglr
Hi everyone. Hope you can help me. A couple of years ago I bought a trick and I canít remember what it is called or who I bought it from. Now one of my friends in our magic assembly wants to do it but I canít tell him where to get it. The effect is as follows:
Show three cards and an empty paper bag. Put the three cards into the bag. Remove two of the cards face down. Ask spectator which card is still in the bag. The spectator is correct every time. Repeat over and over, the spectator always guesses which card is left in the bag.
Does anyone know the name of this trick and who sells it?
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Greetings, Juglr,

What you describe sounds quite similar to something which appeared in the Marshall Brodien "Card Box and Deck Tricks" set (Elmsford, New York: Marshall Brodien Magic, 1995). Brodien passed away a few years ago, and The Linking Ring ran a nice tribute to him at the time.

This set included a dozen effects which could be done with the gaffed cards. I believe the kit was peddled on television, but I wound up with it thanks to a friend who spotted it at a garage sale! You can probably find it on eBay, I'd be willing to bet.

Anyway, Brodien's effect "Change-O" is very close to what you describe. If it is the same, then I think the method is actually due to Theodore DeLand from almost a hundred years ago.

Hope that helps a little.

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.
Juglr
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Juglr
Thanks Thomas. I just found a ďCard Box and Deck TricksĒ on EBay for $12.50 shipped so I bought it just to check it out.
The one I have is in Bicycle. Itís driving me crazy that I canít remember where I got it. Iíve used it a lot and have a lot of fun with it.
I probably bought it at a lecture, but Iíve looked up the websites of all of the magicians weíve had lecture here in the last few years and I havenít been able to find it. Our club has hosted Henry Evans, David Stone, Patrick Redford, David Casas, Tom Craven, Meir Yedid, Tom Frank, Kozmo, and Mark Leveridge. I might have bought it from one of those guys but I just canít remember. Itís rough to get old!
Juglr
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Juglr
I received my Mashall Brodien "Card Box and Deck Tricks" set from Ebay. It's a nifty little set of gimmicked cards and comes with a plastic flap-style card box. Thomas was right, the trick "Change-O" is very similar to the trick I was talking about. It's based on the same idea, but the version I've been using is much improved with a simple design change. In the "Change-O" version, the gaff is huge and needs to be hidden with another playing card, which limits the handling to a transposition effect. In the version I've been using you only have to cover a pip with your thumb, which opens up the handling quite a bit.

This Marshall Brodien set is neat, but the cards actually have "TV Magic" written in the design of the backs, which , to me, screams "trick cards."
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
211 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
Threre's also Walter Gibson's "Three Card Mental Repeat" (Magick, issue 25) and "Triple Mental Repeat" (Magick, issue 28). I am pretty sure these were first published in The Phoenix.
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
211 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
It wasn't Phoenix. Both effects are in Magick, as stated above. The second effect doesn't require gimmicked cards.
dj
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2020, Juglr wrote:
Hi everyone. Hope you can help me. A couple of years ago I bought a trick and I canít remember what it is called or who I bought it from. Now one of my friends in our magic assembly wants to do it but I canít tell him where to get it. The effect is as follows:
Show three cards and an empty paper bag. Put the three cards into the bag. Remove two of the cards face down. Ask spectator which card is still in the bag. The spectator is correct every time. Repeat over and over, the spectator always guesses which card is left in the bag.
Does anyone know the name of this trick and who sells it?

Impossible Divination by Henry Evans?

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......ination/

Darko
Juglr
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Juglr
Thatís it exactly! ďImpossible DivinationĒ by Henry Evans. I bought it from him when he lectured at our club last year. Thanks for the help guys! Itís a really cool trick.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5948 Posts

Profile of motown
Is this something you keep repeating for the same spectator?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
Ė Karl Germain
Juglr
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Juglr
Yes. Whatever card he names is always the card left in the bag. You can repeat it for the same spectator, or do it for each person in a small group. No reset. You just need to be thoughtful about managing the spectatorís attention (you donít want them grabbing at the cards), but Iíve never been busted. Itís a fun trick to perform.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5948 Posts

Profile of motown
Thanks Juglr.

One last question. Can you use any bay?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
Ė Karl Germain
Juglr
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Juglr
The bag is not gimmicked. You can use any bag, or a hat, or really any container to momentarily contain the cards out of sight. A normal paper lunch sack is good because it looks normal. The bag can and should be inspected by the audience. In fact, I hand the bag to anyone who looks like they want to grab the cards as misdirection to keep them from grabbing the the cards. Meanwhile, I am very clearly, with my handling, demonstrating there are only three cards in my hands.
The best part is it is the spectator, not the magician, who is always right. How did they know what card was left in the bag? They are very talented! The focus is on praising the spectator.
Of course, you could play it so the magician always knows what the spectator is going to say. Thatís really implied anyway. Whatever works for you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Gaffed & Funky Ľ Ľ Three cards in paper bag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL