The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Barclay Shaw (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
I remember reading about him either in Linking ring or Magic. I know that he is no more but the description of a show that he was planning was awesome. It had something to do with a giant Peacock onstage, walking off muttering something like, "Excuse me, pardon me", etc., and it had a visual penetration of a woman into a mirror and things like that. Does anyone know about this? Just curious.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
I've seen Barclay Shaw many times. He used to tour with Liberace.

I've never seen him do a "magic" act, I've only seen him as a puppeteer and what he did was something to behold. His performances are remembered by most that saw him as the best they've ever seen.

Some consider him the best that ever lived. He did have a giant Peacock as one of his puppets and she was risqué to say the least.

Great performer!
Ted (Leondo)
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Ted;
We all miss Barclay, and his riotous Clara Kluck. The most amazing thing I remember about his act was the little clown with the balloon and floating away, such a piece of theater that we will sadly never see again.
Barclay Shaw was an artist in the true sense. I do hope that someone somewhere has footage preserved for the future, it would be sad for it to just vanish.
All the Best,
Marty
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I saw footage of his act on the monitors at the Magic Castle as I was waiting in one of their many lines. I wouldn't have taken notice of it if it wasn't for Barclay standing in front of me in that same line!

So yes, some footage exists. Publicly available? I don't know.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Martini,
It's interesting that you would mention Barclay's routine with the little clown.

On one of his tours with Liberace, he did that very routine, standing on top of the piano while Lee played "Send In The Clowns". Imagine a pin spot on the little clown, Barclay barely visible. It was a moment in show business never to be repeated. Lee's haunting rendition of the song and the little, crying clown that was "really" alive floating upward on a balloon. WOW! Barclay was beyond what we all strive to be.

Once, in a dark moment, toward the end of his career, Barclay said, "The days of Cabaret entertainment are over." How prophetic.

Ted (Leondo)
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I saw Barclay Shaw in 'Splash' in Liviera Hotel. He appeared with Shimada.

I was much impressed with Barclay's Levitation. He used the stage most widely. In one word, it was spectacular.

I have not seen puppet act, but I can imagine that he is a great theatrical actor.

Hideo Kato
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hey thanks for the info guys. Actually, after I posted, I did a Google on him and got a link to the same article I mentioned. It was by Eugene Burger and it was amazing. I mean his script. He must've been one heck of a performer. Wonder if someone will do the show with the same script. I would if I had the money.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1467 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I too am a Barclay Shaw fan and I am fortunate enough to have one of three versions of his original levitation. The one I have is the first version of what developed into his final masterpiece. Even a rather famous magician with the initials DC was inspired by Barclay's levitation.

Barclay Shaw was not only a great performer but also a great thinker and innovator which is evident in the body of work he left behind.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Which levitation are you talking about Scott? Does DC use it?
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
I saw Barclay perform years ago at a couple of Abbott's conventions. His act was always a highlight.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Barclay was a genius. His levitation was filmed (he showed it to me) but for what I don't recall. It had the assistant inside a Plexiglas box and the setting was outdoors next to his swimming pool.

His puppet act was beyond incredible, as mentioned above.

But, he was going into illusions. He took me to visit his rehearsal hall/warehouse and ran through a number of them for me... all original... all beautifully turned out... I don't know what happened to them.

His untimely death was a blow to the entertainment industry for sure.

He has been missed.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1467 Posts

To my knowledge, there were three incarnations of his levitation from inception to completion.

I have the first version.
I think Lance B. has a version
DC has a version
and I believe Dimmare has some of the glass boxes.

Any way that levitation was truly beautiful. True magical art.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Thanks for the info Scot. Is there anywhere a picture of the levitation is available? Just curious and very interested.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Barclay used to be a Chicago act. The last time I saw him perform he opened with a puppet. Did magic and then closed with his clown puppet that he did many times on the Bozo TV show at WGN Chicago.

He produced two doves in a small box that was in Tarbell.

He was building large puppets to do a magic act but passed on before he had a chance to finish the act.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I once asked Eugene Burger about this, but he didn't know where any could be found.

Even though it was brought up earlier, is there any chance of someone locating film of Mr. Shaw performing (Especially his puppets)? I didn't learn about him until too late and I would love to be able to see him perform.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3413 Posts

Profile of Julie
Maybe the S.A.M. Film and Tape (and now DVD) Library has some footage?
thelestat
View Profile
New user
Vegas
48 Posts

Profile of thelestat
Quote:
On 2004-06-13 13:45, Scott Alexander wrote:
To my knowledge, there were three incarnations of his levitation from inception to completion.
I have the first version.
I think Lance B. has a version
DC has a version
and I believe Dimmare has some of the glass boxes. ...

Howdy. David Has the last version Barcley used and the rights. I have the above ground version rigging, a cape, the boxes and the rights. The electric drive verion without the boxes and rights was in Steve Spills hands at Magicoplolis. Lance to my knowledge does not and there are not many version Barcley had left at the time of.. Did'nt know about a forth you have very cool...Dimmare
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1467 Posts

I had the one that you mentioned Spill had. It went from me... to him ...then it came back to me.
Mine had boxes and rights but the boxes were scratched beyond use and the top and base were completly shattered to pieces from years of improper storage, This particular one was the first of the incarnations that origionally became the one seen in Splash. It also had a few pieces of a bench framework that were unusable but I have kept them anyway.

Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1446 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I remember seeing this in the SPLASH show years ago. The levitation was in a clear box near the lip of the stage I think. A VERY cool illusion for sure!
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
On 2004-06-09 12:52, martini wrote:
Greetings Ted;
We all miss Barclay, and his riotous Clara Kluck. The most amazing thing I remember about his act was the little clown with the balloon and floating away, such a piece of theater that we will sadly never see again.
Barclay Shaw was an artist in the true sense. I do hope that someone somewhere has footage preserved for the future, it would be sad for it to just vanish.
All the Best,
Marty

Sorry to bring up an old topic from last year. If you're looking for a performance of Barclay Shaw's puppet act where he makes the little clown puppet dance, cry, and float away on a balloon, you need to buy the DVD "Leapin' Lizards -- It's Liberace!" This is a taped, live performance of Liberace's Las Vegas Hilton stage show from 1980. Barclay Shaw and his clown puppet named Toto appear in one segment on top of Liberace's piano while Liberace plays "Send in the Clowns." Buy the DVD here: http://www.liberace.com/products.cfm?Pro......y=Videos
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Barclay Shaw (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL