The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ten Grand Prix by Diamond Jim Tyler (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Diamond Jim
View Profile
V.I.P.
Diamond Jim Tyler
217 Posts

Profile of Diamond Jim
Thanks gang. This has been a worker for me for quite awhile and I'm happy that the new release is being well received. There's at least one man hour of construction into each packaged effect. This doesn't count all the research and development over the years. All looks ordinary but there are lots of gaffs and gimmickery involved. I created a trick that one could learn in minutes straight out of the package and be taught to a child.

Ten Grand Prix just received a great review on the Wizard Product Review. They were afraid to do it because it truly looks liked you changed $100 into $10,000. They feared they might be mugged because it does look so REAL. For my high end clients I have never feared that. Plus the fact that this can only be done with American currency made them think it wouldn't be a regular worker for them.

Currently the effect is #2 on Penguin's Best Seller list and I have been included amongst their top inventors. Right now it is only available from myself and Penguin. Watch the trailer. It truly looks that good!

Happy Holidays my friends.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3013 Posts

Profile of tophatter
This really is "A Beautiful Piece Of Magic" In a class by itself ! The smackdown change works best for me .
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1379 Posts

Profile of Jared
For those who purchased this fine effect, here are two tips that you will probably like:

Firstly, if you don't already own a stack of $100 movie money bills then go buy yourself a stack (they have many uses) and add 7 x $100 bills ABOVE the bottom $100 bill of the stack. Make sure they go above because Jim's bottom $100 bill looks more 'legit' because it doesn't say 'Movie Money" on the back. Doing this, will make the stack nice and tight. I found it to be a bit sloppy and loose during my practice sessions; I kept having to re-adjust the strap and re-align the bills. With these extra 7 bills it works so much BETTER! Tip: just remember to stop the dollar bill display a little sooner to avoid flashing the extra $100's.

Secondly, I mentioned in my post for best tricks of 2020 that I was a little disappointed that Jim didn't include some kind of generic looking black pouch to keep the edges of the bills from getting worn during the repeated action of taking it in/out of your inner breast pocket. However, I found a good solution thanks to my friend Paul....I'm using a soft leather checkbook case that I got from Bank of America. If you don't have one they offer similar options on eBay including some with locking straps. Alternatively, you can use an elastic to hold everything together. Note: they do not fit into the pocket. You simply place them between both leather halves. It's a super-quick removal and replacement system. BTW- alternatively you can remove them from the case with the dollar bill facing upwards (ready position) because it actually stays put. Plus, the checkbook cover hides the bottom bill from accidentally being flashed.

Since this will likely serve as an opener you can also have the bills out and ready to change before you approach a group...After you change them, slyly remark that you probably should deposit them in your bank [as you place them into the holder] after the gig (Note: Bank of America is printed on my check case).
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
981 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Shouldn't this be taken downstairs?

For $5 delivered you can buy a canvas bank pouch on the big auction site.

As to what Jared said above, I'm considering adding small spots of glue to stop the bills from moving.

Anyone see anything wrong with that?
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3013 Posts

Profile of tophatter
In the instructions Jim explained to put double stick tape on the yellow band (1000's) to keep the band from moving after the change . I like your idea Jared
about using the checkbook cover !
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
981 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Thanks, but I didn't ask to keep the band from moving.

I asked to keep the whole stack from moving.

I don't want to take Jared's advice to add extra fake 100's.

Sorry, Jared- no offense.

I'm thinking of glueing the stack, but before I do this irreversible step, I figured I'd ask opinions here.

Even though opinions are like earholes- everyone's got one.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1379 Posts

Profile of Jared
Jack, I tried the canvas bank pouch (cause I have one) and it was too large to fit inside my jacket pocket. You'll find the checkbook cover to be the ideal size, but to each his own.

Also, I did think about gluing the bills as you suggested. But if some of the bills eventually wear or tear it may be problematic to repair. It really does work great with the extra bills added. But if you elect to glue, please report back with your findings. I'm sure more people will be curious as to how it works out. Good luck!
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
981 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Well, Jared, to quote Fred Gwynne in "My Cousin Vinnie", "that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought out objection".

That's why I asked before I acted.

It's probably going to be a year or more before I actually use this outside of my living room, so I had plenty of time to consider it

Yeah, Jared, after making my initial comment and before seeing your reply, I saw that the canvas bag measures about 6" by 10", so it's way too big for me.

Jared, thanks!

Magicians helping magicians.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2518 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2021, Jared wrote:
Jack, I tried the canvas bank pouch (cause I have one) and it was too large to fit inside my jacket pocket. You'll find the checkbook cover to be the ideal size, but to each his own.

Also, I did think about gluing the bills as you suggested. But if some of the bills eventually wear or tear it may be problematic to repair. It really does work great with the extra bills added. But if you elect to glue, please report back with your findings. I'm sure more people will be curious as to how it works out. Good luck!

Just curious, if Jim has been using this without any issues or problems less the ones he mentioned for tips, why is it now there are these issues after it has been purchased.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
981 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
No real issues, Steve.

Nobody here has probably used this in the real world (I haven't), and we're concerned about protecting our expensive investment.

It comes in a protective case, but the case cannot be taken out in view of specs, so we're looking for a way to carry it around.

And the other "issue" has to do with the same concern with keeping a type of card deck in good working order.

That's all.

I love this, and I'll use it for the rest of my life.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1379 Posts

Profile of Jared
This canvas bag works great as a pocket-friendly carrier to protect your investment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HET......F8&psc=1

I like it better than my checkbook idea because the Velcro snap keeps everything tidy. Make sure that you insert the stack into the non-RFID pocket (all black). The other pocket is normally reserved for a cell phone or credit cards etc. but is a bit too tight and could damage the bills.

I have one more solution coming shortly that I ordered on eBay. If it's any better than this (I doubt it will be) then I'll report back with my findings.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4993 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2021, Jared wrote:
This canvas bag works great as a pocket-friendly carrier to protect your investment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HET......F8&psc=1

I like it better than my checkbook idea because the Velcro snap keeps everything tidy. Make sure that you insert the stack into the non-RFID pocket (all black). The other pocket is normally reserved for a cell phone or credit cards etc. but is a bit too tight and could damage the bills.

I have one more solution coming shortly that I ordered on eBay. If it's any better than this (I doubt it will be) then I'll report back with my findings.

I assume you got the pink one?
Ha, just kidding. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Seriously, thanks Jared for leading the way and sharing your findings for these various pocket storage cases with the rest of us.
Much appreciated and Happy New Year!
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1379 Posts

Profile of Jared
Why of course it's the BRIGHT pink one...Hey, I'm comfortable as a heterosexual man LOL But seriously though, I'm always happy to share my findings. I should have the second option (a check book holder that snaps) in my hand on Wednesday according to the latest tracking details. Here's what it looks like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Checkbook-Cover......49.l2648

I'll compare both and let you know which one works best and the reasons why. Although admittedly, it's going to be hard to beat the first one I listed, but we shall see.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3013 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Great idea Jared ! I Really like the first one the black holder looks durable.
Diamond Jim
View Profile
V.I.P.
Diamond Jim Tyler
217 Posts

Profile of Diamond Jim
I've personally never needed a cover on me to carry Ten Grand Prix but it's not a bad idea. The effect is doing well and receiving lots of positive feedback. Check out Magick Balay's handling of the trick at the bottom of my product page http://djtyler.com/product/ten-grand-prix/
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1379 Posts

Profile of Jared
I received the checkbook holder ordered from eBay today and after trying both options while wearing a jacket I recommend the nylon pouch version as shown on Amazon. The checkbook holder is not a bad solution, but the nylon pouch seems to feel a bit slimmer and more secure. Plus, the extra RFID pouch side could be used for storing a packet trick, Extreme Burn, or special cards. I posted a link above in the thread. If you buy one you won't be disappointed.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3837 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2021, Jared wrote:
I received the checkbook holder ordered from eBay today and after trying both options while wearing a jacket I recommend the nylon pouch version as shown on Amazon. The checkbook holder is not a bad solution, but the nylon pouch seems to feel a bit slimmer and more secure. Plus, the extra RFID pouch side could be used for storing a packet trick, Extreme Burn, or special cards. I posted a link above in the thread. If you buy one you won't be disappointed.

Jared,

I just ordered Ten Grand Prix and the nylon pouch you recommended from Amazon.

Thank you very much for your tips and suggestions.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1379 Posts

Profile of Jared
Glad to help Michael in the spirit of "Magician's helping magicians" Smile
erichoudini
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Just wondering how easy this effect is to perform in terms of sleight of hand? On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the most difficult? From the trailer, I anticipate that the band change requires some skill?
Looks like a very nice effect and if I can do it with minimal skill, being an amateur magician, I will definitely make a purchase. Thanks for any helpful opinions those of you who have the effect can offer. Be well in this challenging time.
Eric.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1379 Posts

Profile of Jared
Eric, it is nearly self-working and requires no skill except a bit of awareness during the visual displays...If you can run your fingers downwards and then back upwards without dropping the bundle of cash then you have the skills needed to perform this effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ten Grand Prix by Diamond Jim Tyler (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL