The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Issues with Double Cross (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
I have recently begun getting back into magic. I had gotten fairly heavy into magic back in college and now 20 years have passed and I am reigniting my interests. Typically, I have always favored close-up, examined-able, everyday item type of magic and/or mentalism effects.

To this end, I picked up Double Cross and I am having trouble with the "putty" not adhering to my hand. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good sticky substance I can use dependably?

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area but there are sooo many and this one seemed like a good start...

Thanks!
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
I love this trick, but also have had that issue. Sometimes it is what is on your hands. I use a spray to keep my hands from being dry, which can affect the tack. I also take the tack and squish it around, bringing the middle of the tack to the outer layer. Sometimes replacing or adding some new tack is needed as well. Also when not in use I take a thimble or something to cover the tack in my case.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I don't have this problem. I use this trick all the time and love it. All I need to do is occasionally pull the tack off and roll it around. The gimmick will not be glued to your hand when you take it off. Only lightly attached. Im not sure any of this helps
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
I also had this issue. I started using Chamberlain's Golden Touch Lotion spray and it helped out a lot.
BaronLockhart
View Profile
New user
Seattle
16 Posts

Profile of BaronLockhart
I fiddle around with it while talking and while doing so, massage the putty a little bit. It heats it up and makes it a lot more sticky. I also carry it in a manner that ensures no pocket lint can get on it and make it less sticky (a product I make, check profile for link if interested)
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Carry it covered, I use on of those pocket clips when I'm in a suit but other wise a second sharpie cap on the other side. Make a hole in the end in case you gimmick get stuck in the cap it will be easy to push out (experience). Biggest tip is as said above make sure the putty is clean and warm, makes a huge difference.
alexK
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of alexK
There was one time in the past (some years ago) where I droped the gimmick because my hand was to sweaty but this happens only once.
Overall I don't have problems with it and the only thing I really care of is that the "putty" is not too dirty, so that it will stick fine.
I also put it on at the moment where I ask about holding out hands, so I only stick it for 3-5 seconds on the finger.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Remember it doesn’t need to be stuck to strong because it’s only in place for a moment and than your ditching it
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Just got mine today. I am still very excited about this effect despite a few letdowns.

I had a suspicion that the gimmick wouldn't feel sturdy, safe or something of that nature and it turned out to be true. I can't get the gimmick to stick to my finger, using the wax provided. It does stick loosely, only for a few seconds and doesn't feel secure at all.
There's no way I'll be able to perform this, feeling comfortable. Another downside of this wax is that it stains. A lot! It literally got the tips of my fingers black while trying to heat it up.

What are some suitable materials to replace the wax with? Has anyone tried double stick tape? (It's 1AM over here and I don't have any on hand)
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
UPDATE: I found something online called "Glue Dots" and ordered some from Amazon.
Judging from what I read about the product, it will solve the adherence issue.

Gonna keep you guys posted on this.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
That's weird matt I have not seen the sticky stuff turn my fingers black at all
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2020, MagicVin wrote:
That's weird matt I have not seen the sticky stuff turn my fingers black at all

You're right. That was my bad. After playing around with it some more I noticed its the gimmick that's causing smearing. The wax just picked it up and helped spread it some more. Smile)
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
As promised, I will give you guys an update on the sticky problem.

This is the link to the product I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Glue-Dots-Adhesiv......4&sr=8-6

I highly recommend it. The dots are pretty small so I had to use two pieces. If you are worried they may get noticed because they're not black, don't! Been field testing the effect for a few days now without any problems.

For those of you who feel the wax is not strong enough, this will take care of that. It feels secure when I attach it and I can gesture without "restraint". That is ultimately what I wanted from this gimmick.

Thanks for your input guys and have fun with this one! Considering the issues, it still is a great effect and a good investment.

-Matt
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Interesting idea on the glue dots.

When you say they are too small, do you mean in width or height? Would 1/2" ones be too big?

Quote:
On Dec 11, 2020, Matt Malinas wrote:
As promised, I will give you guys an update on the sticky problem.

This is the link to the product I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Glue-Dots-Adhesiv......4&sr=8-6

I highly recommend it. The dots are pretty small so I had to use two pieces. If you are worried they may get noticed because they're not black, don't! Been field testing the effect for a few days now without any problems.

For those of you who feel the wax is not strong enough, this will take care of that. It feels secure when I attach it and I can gesture without "restraint". That is ultimately what I wanted from this gimmick.

Thanks for your input guys and have fun with this one! Considering the issues, it still is a great effect and a good investment.

-Matt
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I don't mind having 2 on the surface there. Almost feels a little more secure that way.

Since you asked, I assume you don't have the gimmick yet. 1/2 inch is way too big.
marcomotroni
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of marcomotroni
This may be a bit off topic, but I've always had this problem with Double Cross where the stamp will never be fully inked. I tried replacing cartriges and everything, and I'm starting to wonder if there's something I'm not doing correctly.

And yes, glue dots seem to be the way to go if all else fails. The only thing you'd have to worry about is the dot losing its stickiness from being in your pocket for too long.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I have Double Cross, I just wasn't sure if it was the smaller size was too small, so would it be better to trim some off of the half-inch size for a better fit?

Quote:
On Dec 11, 2020, Matt Malinas wrote:
I don't mind having 2 on the surface there. Almost feels a little more secure that way.

Since you asked, I assume you don't have the gimmick yet. 1/2 inch is way too big.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
JayCee0919
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of JayCee0919
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2020, marcomotroni wrote:
This may be a bit off topic, but I've always had this problem with Double Cross where the stamp will never be fully inked. I tried replacing cartriges and everything, and I'm starting to wonder if there's something I'm not doing correctly.

And yes, glue dots seem to be the way to go if all else fails. The only thing you'd have to worry about is the dot losing its stickiness from being in your pocket for too long.

Sorry to drag this back up but I completely agree. I've had multiple cases where the stamp does not get fully inked and was left with a tiny black dot instead. Had to use a funny line to move on but don't like it when that happens. I got in the habit of testing it on myself (or my wife) prior to actually doing it to see if it's being finicky but would prefer to hear if someone has a sure-fire method of making sure it inks right away
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I am surprised about the the stamp not being fully inked. I would have to think a problem with stamp or the ink cartridge if I were a pro I would just get another on. You could remove the ink cartridge and replace with one that has been cut slightly longer or put something underneath your cartridge to make it stick out a little more
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
I recently got a Double cross and have played with a bit. The putty does seem a bit wobbly but doable. My bigger issue is "erasing" the mark on my hand.

Always seems to leave a smudge or tell-tale mark.

Any advice?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Issues with Double Cross (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL