The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Cabby and Frame from Supreme Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
I saw a silk cabby and frame, on of all places a local Craig's list, says it is was made by Supreme and pics look to match others I have seen made by them..

If any one has had any experience with the Supreme Magic version of this prop as to quality of the prop or things to look for to verify if it was made by Supreme or is a knock-off can you let me know? I did some research and prices seem to be all over the place so would like to get some insight from members before I drive out to check it out. From the pics the set looks like it hasn't been used much but I don't think they guy has the instructions etc.
Topper2
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Supreme props could be very variable in terms of quality, it all depended on who was making them at the time and what profit margin Edwin could get out of it. Some Supreme wooden props were really good, others less so in terms of finish. I had a silk frame and caddy that I bought from Supreme many years ago and I have to say I was a little disappointed with the finish, not in terms of how it looked to spectators but rather in terms of how smooth the woodwork was to handle. In particular I found that my silks were snagging on somewhat roughly finished surfaces in the caddy 'chamber'. By contrast I had another caddy from (I think) Vampire Magic that was itself just as smooth as the silks pushed into it!

So really I'm saying that you can't judge the quality of the item by whether or not it came from Supreme. Other suppliers made the same prop and may have made it better. For example International Magic use to produce silk frames and caddies and others must have done so as well.

For what it is worth, my Supreme kit was painted in a cream colour and I saw an identical outfit in the same colour being sold on ebay a few weeks ago. Of course the colour scheme might be different if an item is refurbished and repainted but I know that Supreme items often did retain the same decorative pattern over the years, so that could be a clue as to authenticity.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Topper2 Thanks for the info..I looked at it and as you said it was a bit "rougher" and looked like the silks could easily snag so I decided to pass on it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22650 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I purchased 2 Supreme items, as silk cabby and a fall apart stool. Well they both fell apart. The problem is that they do not put enough glue on the parts to hold them together. They come apart very easily. The stool did not have any reinforcements anywhere, so when a child sat on the stool, the legs just tilted and forced the sides and top to come apart. I guess whomever was making them, took the name literally. The paint job on my props was just fine, it was the assembly that messed them up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Cabby and Frame from Supreme Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL