The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Covidiocy » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (72 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
"When we are stressed or emotional, we are more likely to activate our body’s 'fight, flight, freeze' mechanisms. This affects how we communicate and how our communication is received."

"Becoming defensive makes people not only less willing to listen, but less able to take in information, and or to appraise it accurately."

Https://theconversation.com/how-to-talk-......d-143995
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

There are those who feel that a .026 death rate overall is a risk they are willing to take to have a job and not starve to death.

So what is the end game? Zero new cases? Zero deaths?


Yes, zero.

This is a direct quote from New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy 2 days ago,

“Even as the numbers of deaths we report every day continue to be low, we cannot take any solace in that. Our goal must be to get them to zero. Not three or five, or seven like today. Zero.”
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
No man is an island. This is a contagious disease. All those "willing to take a risk" aren't doing so only at their own risk. And the vulnerable are thereby involuntarily being exposed. Those "willing to take a risk" are taking choice away from the already vulnerable. Double whammy and insult to injury.

It's not so much about fear as it is about love and serious consideration and regard for the vulnerable.

The vulnerable are not disposable, collateral damage. They are precious entities, beloved family members.

Also, no one really knows for sure, either, just who might have an unexpected severe outcome. We are all vulnerable to the effects of this virus. I mentioned on another thread, Marshall Rosenberg's reference to a human evolutionary snag. And I think it's been blatantly illuminated by the way we've seen this situation unfold so far.


Oh it is about exactly that. We trade off many things out of fear. You can pretend it is love all you want but make no mistake it is fear and fear mongering.

So again what is the end game?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2020, Ken Northridge wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

There are those who feel that a .026 death rate overall is a risk they are willing to take to have a job and not starve to death.

So what is the end game? Zero new cases? Zero deaths?


Yes, zero.

This is a direct quote from New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy 2 days ago,

“Even as the numbers of deaths we report every day continue to be low, we cannot take any solace in that. Our goal must be to get them to zero. Not three or five, or seven like today. Zero.”


And doesn't this make you think? An unattainable goal with him grabbing power. Hmm.

And so we see the real problem. This is a very scary situation and very real. During which we have people elected to see to our best interest who only seen worried about their best interest.

Again I say this is a REAL serious problem. Global in scale and needs to be addressed. It is deadly and it is scary without doubt in my mind. The reaction from our leaders of any stripe has been mind bogglingly incompetent and political.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Blaze Magic
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Blaze Magic
My home country eventually achieved 0 cases, along with the state I am currently living in (6 deaths total, thank to leadership taking it seriously in January).

I’m sure plenty of people in positions of power are using it (and literally anything else they can) as a power grab. At the same time though, eradicating it isn’t some impossible feat, especially if it’s taken seriously early on.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

At what point does the rights of the many outweigh the fears of the few?


Quote:
On Sep 25, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

And so we see the real problem. This is a very scary situation and very real.



And so we see who is afraid. Are you one of the few who has fear, then, or one of the many who has rights? And are you one of the fear mongered or one of the fear mongerers?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:


I blame each side for this. Each desperately wanting to assign blame or


There is only ONE "side".
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3917 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Okay...since it appears that this thread is NOT going to be about how COVID has changed the fabric of mentalism...let's chat.

I have a good friend, an accomplished performer, who hasn't done a show since the spring. He's been trying to talk himself into going virtual but he (not unlike myself) can't quite convince himself that it's a viable option. He has enough savings to last him another eight months if he's careful.

Another friend, who has specialized in cruise ship shows for the past 12 years has moved out of his condo -- sold it for pennies on the dollar in a killer market -- and is actually living with his parents.

I spent an hour on the phone with another friend who is only now starting to freak out because he's been living on his savings since March and they are depleting with nothing significant to replace them.

And these are just entertainers. What about the hotel industry? The travel industry? How about the restaurants? The many businesses that were already borderline before Covid happened that are not reopening? How about the backbone of the economy: small business...that has been completely decimated by an economy that changed one day without warning? How about ALL the people who work(ed) for those businesses...and the families THEY support? Remember those kindly credit card companies that gave people six months to defer their payments? Well those same credit card companies are now sending notices that those deferrals are ending...which leaves many people now needing to deal with SIX MONTHS of credit card debt with no money coming it. Can you IMAGINE what their world looks like???

Still there are people bleating from their soapboxes that we all have to suck it up for the greater good. They aren't thinking six months -- a year -- into the future. What will the world look like then...not just for entertainers but the whole crippled economy? People who don't have money can't spend it. When people don't spend, businesses do not survive. When businesses don't survive...well...I would hope even the most determined of the sheeple can still muster the basic math skills necessary to work out that equation.

What about alcohol abuse since the "lockdown?" Domestic abuse? Child abuse? Sexual abuse? Suicide? Foreclosures?

People are not thinking clearly. There is a documented case during the Spanish Flu epidemic: a man gets on a streetcar in relative health. By the time it gets to his stop, he's dead. THAT is a dangerous epidemic, folks.

Compare the death statistics from Covid (and I DO mean COVID -- not people who died while they had Covid...or people who died within a six block radius of someone who HAD Covid) to heart disease fatalities...how about cancer? And the whole world is shutting down because of THIS? REALLY???

THINK about it! Set aside what self serving politicians and doctors say. TRY to ignore the opinions Facebook, YouTube etc. are trying to cram into your mind. Think for yourself. IS there risk enough to put our whole society on the chopping block?

I suspect it is already too late. So have a nice ride, guys. Continue to ridicule those people who are trying to warn you...tear up the guys who are trying to make a living in an increasingly hostile climate. Let's look back on those 'ideals' a year from now, shall we? And, as we look up from our societal ruins, the soap box dwellers will be able to congratulate each other on how many of them may be financially destitute...but at least they didn't get the flu. WHEW! That was close, huh?

The inmates are running the world asylum. Sheeple and the intellectually feeble are enabling them, coddling them and defending them. Stop it.

I have no interest in arguing on this thread or any other so I won't. It serves no purpose. You can't argue with crazy. So line up those critics and fire away. Have fun. Grandstand for each other. Knock yourselves out. Send out an alert to all the self-congratulating Thought Police.

I'm done with this.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.


www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10169 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2020, David Thiel wrote:
I have a good friend, an accomplished performer, who hasn't done a show since the spring. He's been trying to talk himself into going virtual but he (not unlike myself) can't quite convince himself that it's a viable option. He has enough savings to last him another eight months if he's careful.

Another friend, who has specialized in cruise ship shows for the past 12 years has moved out of his condo -- sold it for pennies on the dollar in a killer market -- and is actually living with his parents.

I spent an hour on the phone with another friend who is only now starting to freak out because he's been living on his savings since March and they are depleting with nothing significant to replace them.


My gosh, my advice is stop talking to these friends. They're so depressing.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3917 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I suspect it depends on how a person defines the word “friend.”
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.


www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2020, David Thiel wrote: let's chat...
I'm done with this.

David



Some people have known for awhile that those who don't have money can't spend it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:


I blame each side for this. Each desperately wanting to assign blame or


There is only ONE "side".

Very naive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2020, David Thiel wrote:
Okay...since it appears that this thread is NOT going to be about how COVID has changed the fabric of mentalism...let's chat.

I have a good friend, an accomplished performer, who hasn't done a show since the spring. He's been trying to talk himself into going virtual but he (not unlike myself) can't quite convince himself that it's a viable option. He has enough savings to last him another eight months if he's careful.

Another friend, who has specialized in cruise ship shows for the past 12 years has moved out of his condo -- sold it for pennies on the dollar in a killer market -- and is actually living with his parents.

I spent an hour on the phone with another friend who is only now starting to freak out because he's been living on his savings since March and they are depleting with nothing significant to replace them.

And these are just entertainers. What about the hotel industry? The travel industry? How about the restaurants? The many businesses that were already borderline before Covid happened that are not reopening? How about the backbone of the economy: small business...that has been completely decimated by an economy that changed one day without warning? How about ALL the people who work(ed) for those businesses...and the families THEY support? Remember those kindly credit card companies that gave people six months to defer their payments? Well those same credit card companies are now sending notices that those deferrals are ending...which leaves many people now needing to deal with SIX MONTHS of credit card debt with no money coming it. Can you IMAGINE what their world looks like???

Still there are people bleating from their soapboxes that we all have to suck it up for the greater good. They aren't thinking six months -- a year -- into the future. What will the world look like then...not just for entertainers but the whole crippled economy? People who don't have money can't spend it. When people don't spend, businesses do not survive. When businesses don't survive...well...I would hope even the most determined of the sheeple can still muster the basic math skills necessary to work out that equation.

What about alcohol abuse since the "lockdown?" Domestic abuse? Child abuse? Sexual abuse? Suicide? Foreclosures?

People are not thinking clearly. There is a documented case during the Spanish Flu epidemic: a man gets on a streetcar in relative health. By the time it gets to his stop, he's dead. THAT is a dangerous epidemic, folks.

Compare the death statistics from Covid (and I DO mean COVID -- not people who died while they had Covid...or people who died within a six block radius of someone who HAD Covid) to heart disease fatalities...how about cancer? And the whole world is shutting down because of THIS? REALLY???

THINK about it! Set aside what self serving politicians and doctors say. TRY to ignore the opinions Facebook, YouTube etc. are trying to cram into your mind. Think for yourself. IS there risk enough to put our whole society on the chopping block?

I suspect it is already too late. So have a nice ride, guys. Continue to ridicule those people who are trying to warn you...tear up the guys who are trying to make a living in an increasingly hostile climate. Let's look back on those 'ideals' a year from now, shall we? And, as we look up from our societal ruins, the soap box dwellers will be able to congratulate each other on how many of them may be financially destitute...but at least they didn't get the flu. WHEW! That was close, huh?

The inmates are running the world asylum. Sheeple and the intellectually feeble are enabling them, coddling them and defending them. Stop it.

I have no interest in arguing on this thread or any other so I won't. It serves no purpose. You can't argue with crazy. So line up those critics and fire away. Have fun. Grandstand for each other. Knock yourselves out. Send out an alert to all the self-congratulating Thought Police.

I'm done with this.

David


All good points.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Very naive.


Why do you say that?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To believe there are not agendas at play when politicians are quoted as saying "never let a crisis go to waste" is naive.

There is way more than one side.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I was referring to the big picture.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wasn't because it is meaningless. Those in power are the ones in control. The liars and thieves. They all have personal agendas as well as party agendas. And yes this is worldwide.

So again to claim there is only one side is very naive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1204 Posts

Profile of imgic
Slim King must be happy. Florida is opening up completely. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
It is meaningful, Danny.

I don't expect you to acknowledge it though, because, although you claim not to know everything, you seem to have a need to invalidate pretty well anything I have to say and exclude me and others you seem to hold contempt for from the big picture. Destructive and gaslighting.

If anyone still wonders why so few women frequent this place, perhaps consider the exclusive nature and lack of empathy illustrated by so many.

Calling someone naive is nothing more than a predictable manipulative tactic to ostracize. It's an easy, lazy way to play magician's choice, and you're an absolute master, Danny. Congratulations. Smile


Sorry but hogwash.

Frame it however you want personally but the absolute fact that we must live with each and every day is that there is why more than one side to this and every debate.

So you tell me what the benefit is in trying to pretend somehow that it is not true?

Frame it as if I'm such a meanie go ahead. Chimpanzees that it is a slight against women, very which it is not. It is a simple acknowledgement of the reality of the world. By definition to try to deny it is quite naive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Blaze Magic
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Blaze Magic
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2020, David Thiel wrote:
People are not thinking clearly. There is a documented case during the Spanish Flu epidemic: a man gets on a streetcar in relative health. By the time it gets to his stop, he's dead. THAT is a dangerous epidemic, folks.


Sort of like this? Just one I random heard about that the time, so I don’t know how many others.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article......and.html

Also we have no idea if that person during the Spanish Flu actually died FROM THE SPANISH FLU, or if it was actually from a pre-existing condition like obesity or asthma.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Covidiocy » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (72 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL