The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » How to control layers when splitting a card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1162 Posts

Profile of imgic
I'm working on creating some double facers: need 10 of them. I've gotten pretty good at splitting cards, but cannot control how the layers split.

There's three layers to a card: back, middle, and face. I tap the corner to get a break to start the split. But sometimes the center layer is with back, sometimes it's with the face. I cannot seem to control it. I would like to glue a 1 layer face with a 2 layer face so my double facer has the three layers to have similar stiffness to a regular card.

How can I do this? I've searched the Café, googled, and watched about 10 tutorials...they've gotten me to be able to split the cards, but no help on how control the layers (one video had a passing comment about using an exacto knive on initial break to start the split, implying you could control the layers, but didn't show or explain. I've tried it, and can't seem to get it)

Do I just split cards until I get lucky with the layers I want?
If I get two cards with 1 layer each, can I use dry mount tissue that I've heard of? Will that take the place of a middle layer?
Do I split the middle layer out as needed? Then if needed I can add a middle layer to my 1 layer faces? But wouldn't that get messy?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5084 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Once the "wrong layer" separates from the other two, bend it out of the way a tad and retap lightly till the right one separates. That is the inexpensive but possibly time consuming way.

On the other hand, if you think you will be doing a bunch more new projects down the line... Here is the best investment you can make.
Scroll to bottom and watch the "How To" video.
https://www.theperfectshuffle.com/Corner-Splitter-Jig/

Mine has upped my card splitting game to a new "Super Level"
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » How to control layers when splitting a card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL