The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xtacsgt
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of xtacsgt
I have a Petrie Lewis pewter card box and the hinge has broken and it needs to be repaired and soldered I have tried a few jewelers in the area I'm in with no results. Any recommendations on how to have it repaired?
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
What sort of damage is it?
You can maybe try a place that does shoe repair? They'll usually also handle repairs to luggage, purses, and the like. A hinge on a box might be in their wheelhouse.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A picture of the hinge and place where it broke off, would help. Pewter is usually molded metal, not sheet metal. Applying any heat would melt the Pewter. I tried once to repair an antique coffee pot and could not put the spout on without damaging it further.

If the hinge came off the flap lid, then just try some J.B. Weld glue. If the hinge pin came out, just get hinge and swap the pin out.

The Internet is full of information, have you tried searching the Internet for "repairing Pewter antiques". I had a P&L catalog at one time, and no such item was listed. Must be really old.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
512 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Bill had some good advice on the JB Weld. I use that and also use a 5 minute epoxy that comes in 2 parts. Once mixed, you have under 5 minutes to set up, and it fully cures in 24 hours. You can hold the parts together with the epoxy and after about about 3 minutes it begins to harden and you can let go. I love both solutions. My 2 cents worth!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL