The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Anverdi's Mental Die (156 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
I would think that Murphy's 'rights' (for which I understand they paid his estate) extend only as far as (1) their exclusive right to use Anverdi's name on any product, and (2) their exclusive right to re-release of any of Anverdi's original effects (which Mental Dice is clearly not).

Mike
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2020, amirb401 wrote:
Would love if anyone who got the product (or has the regular Mental dice) Could help out and say what he thinks about the product itself ^^

Not wanting to spend 1k$ on PM Dice, and really don't need 3 dices, this seems like the best solution for me at last.
1 chargeable dice, thumper, low price tag for such a routine.

Looking to get some opinions on the product itself. thanks!

I own the 3 dice set of Anverdi Mental Dice and the first design of Marc Antoine’s Mental Dice. The Anverdi Mental Dice is, by far, my favorite. The Anverdi dice are rechargeable, have SIGNIFICANTLY longer range, have a quick & easy sleep function that allows you to carry the dice and receiver in your pocket all day long, yet, are instantly ready to go with a quick press of a single button, and come with a receiver that is so small and compact that you can palm it with ease.

The only advantage of Antoine’ dice is they are larger. But, their size also makes them a little suspicious. The Anverdi Mental Dice are the size of dice you’d get with a board game, They look completely “normal”.

It’s really no contest. The Anverdi Mental Dice are the superior product.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2020, Saturn UK wrote:
To defend Marc his English is not great so answers may not be worded correctly or how he meant them to come across.

All the information is there for his thumper if only people will read and look. We get so many questions on products when the answer is there in the video or ad copy. We see it all the time on the Café - How does this differ from ........ The person just needs to look and they will see how., but for some it’s easier to ask than bother to read and watch a video.

His thumper does way more than just thump which is why it is more expensive.

My gripe is that the Antoine Thumper is even MORE expensive if you paid $429 for Antoine Mental DIce. If you buy Antoine Mental Dice now, for $299, you can get the Antoine Thumper for HALF the price. So, in a nutshell, Antoine extended his middle finger to those that supported him first.

Mark
amirb401
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of amirb401
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2020, Doric wrote:
Probably best to discuss in Inner Thoughts.Too much exposure going on here for my liking.

My answers were deliberate, to mislead the curious.

Thanks ! Smile
Had to make sure I'm not delusional ... was pretty sure it were but had to make sure its not real answer yet just short-wrote haha

Will see if there's any discussion on it in Inner Thoughts, Though I do believe most of my questions were fairly technical and general and weren't to reveal anything too secretive.
TomTom59
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of TomTom59
I have recently got my self a set of Mental Dice and iam more than delighted with it. I am a hobbyist so show my magic to family and friends etc, with audiences more savvy and Tech aware you need to be more creative in the way you perform your effects. I like the idea of adding a Thumper to my set as it obviously adds another dimension to what you can do ( Blindfolded ) In the add description it says the Thumper can read the 3 dice set, does this mean it can read all 3 dice at a time, and if so would the vibrations be a bit overwhelming to remember or does it mean you can tell just one die colour and number.

Tom.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Complain complain complain. Most of you guys are never happy. No mater what anybody does. This is why most of the world is the way it is. To bad. I’m out. Nice knowing you. Well at least some of you.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
These fancy video trailers never make their way into the public eye. Trust me...

This video has over 5 million views, the official trailer from Ellusionist never broke 900,000.

Before you rush out to purchase Mental Dice you may want to search for complaints on reliability issues, it won't take long.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2020, Michael Daniels wrote:
I would think that Murphy's 'rights' (for which I understand they paid his estate) extend only as far as (1) their exclusive right to use Anverdi's name on any product, and (2) their exclusive right to re-release of any of Anverdi's original effects (which Mental Dice is clearly not).

Mike

What Murphy’s purchased the rights to (in addition to his name) is Anverdi’s IDEAS. And among Anverdi’s ideas was a way to know which side of a die was facing up utilizing electronics.

I can’t wait for Murphy’s to release its Anverdi Color Match. At one point, ProMystic’s website credited Anverdi as the original creator of Color Match (the reference has since been removed). Murphy’s purchased the rights to Color Match and all of Anverdi’s other ideas in September 2010. Instead of trying to assert its rights to the Anverdi ideas, Murphy’s let other companies market products based on those ideas. Now, here comes Murphy’s with its own products based on those ideas and some people have their panties in a wad.

IMHO, the magic community owes Murphy’s a debt of gratitude for allowing creativity to flourish and not trying to stop other companies from marketing products based on Anverdi’s ideas. If the release of a Murphy’s Anverdi product causes those other companies to lose sales, its those other companies’ job to improve their product, lower its price, or both, to make their product more desirable than the Murphy’s release.

Mark
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
When names like Michael Weber, Max Maven, Chris Kenner, Asi Wind, Banachek, Ross Johnson, Eric Mead, and many, many others have aligned themselves with Promystic then you know that Craig Filicetti must be doing something right...
maklakmak
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of maklakmak
According to 'paw' (Sept 18th), the original plan was to release the thumper alone at a cost of $149.95 (which in the UK means circa £140 because we always have to pay more over here). However, after much thought, it was decided to throw in the die and charger as freebies. Hmm, really? Three Mental Dice, a reader and a charger retail in the UK at prices up to £323.50. I don't know what the 'reader would cost - lets say £140, like the thumper? On that basis, and admittedly at its most expensive, one third of the remaining package, one die and a one third size charger would be worth over £60. Are these items really being given away free of charge in a £140 sale? That, we are told, is the reason we cannot buy the thumper alone for a reduced price. The bottom line is, of course, that people can charge what they like for their products but they should not be surprised if they spark some cynicism with statements like the one above. Clearly, the die and charger were included in the 'Official Mental Die' package not as a free goodwill gesture but to extend sales beyond those who already own Mental Dice.
TomTom59
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of TomTom59
Hello MR Effecto, I have been a browser for many years and have only just started to to post to the forum as you can see from my post list. I agree with you that there does seem to be a lot of complaining and negativity on the site, of course we are all allowed are own opinions and thoughts on any given release but the vast majority of people who come to this forum just want a a discussion on weather a trick is worth buying or not. I very really buy a new release before checking the forums reviews and thoughts, but when those reviews drift away from weather I should or not because of the trick having some some sort of history, ( Copycat Plagiarism etc ) this leaves me cold, I will buy a trick because I want it, I can afford it, and I have an audience for it. I no my comments my leave a bitter taste in some mouths but I love my hobby and just want to no if something is worth buying,. So finally MR EFFECTO I see you have a large number of post, I do not no what you have posted but any member with that amount of post must have value to this forum, so reconsider about leaving the forum and no that more people feel the ways you do as do not.

Tom.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Tom, with all due respect to you (and anyone who feels similarly), may I humbly suggest that if you genuinely love your hobby, you owe it to magic to care more about a product than merely because you "want it... can afford it... and have an audience for it." Just because you "can" doesn't mean that you should.

Please don't interpret my comments as a red-faced personal attack - I sincerely hope that you can think more deeply about the greater good of the art/craft Smile

Simply put, without Craig's innovation (on Anverdi's extremely basic idea) there wouldn't the current incarnation of "Anverdi's Mental Die." Supporting releases like this means that all of us, hobbyists and professionals alike, will find it increasingly less likely that innovators will contribute their ideas to the marketplace.

I have contacted my preferred retailers along with the entire Murphy's Magic team in support of Craig and urge anyone else who takes issue with this release to do the same. With enough energy and effort, maybe the big retailers will take a stand and we can see some positive change in the market.

Here's hoping!!!
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
DocT25
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of DocT25
I agree with many of the posters above.

This release of this product is a disgusting example of plagiarism and an outright theft of ideas.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Have been looking at these sets/single version. Confusion comes in as both are from persons with "An" last names. So can someone clarify, to verify that my notes are correct?
Antoine set (three) has a screen and app. Thumper is optional, but only reads one die. What is the measurement of the die?
Anverdi set (three) has a screen and NO app nor thumper. What is the measurement of the die?
Anverdi DIE (single) has a newer thumper and NO app nor screen.

Whew, did I get it right?
I know the history, just want product info on what I mentioned above.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Any spec with half a brain cell will know that modern tech is at play here, and they’ll very easily confirm that via a web search. It’s embarrassing really. It’s a tacky gadget at best.
TomTom59
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of TomTom59
Hi Drew, I am sorry for the way I have worded my last post ( Want it…can afford it…audience for it ) does sound very cold. I make no money from my magic as I sad I am a hobbyist, So when I want something that is quite expensive I have to save for it some cases many weeks, it’s very difficult for many of us on the forum to understand the politics surrounding some releases when you just want to have the thing in you hands. I do understand the points you make, and I do support the creators, I do love my magic, lastly Drew I do not take you comments as a personal attack, to me this is what the forum is about, as long as we keep are chat to each other civil, helpful, informative,
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2020, TomTom59 wrote:
Hello MR Effecto, I have been a browser for many years and have only just started to to post to the forum as you can see from my post list. I agree with you that there does seem to be a lot of complaining and negativity on the site, of course we are all allowed are own opinions and thoughts on any given release but the vast majority of people who come to this forum just want a a discussion on weather a trick is worth buying or not. I very really buy a new release before checking the forums reviews and thoughts, but when those reviews drift away from weather I should or not because of the trick having some some sort of history, ( Copycat Plagiarism etc ) this leaves me cold, I will buy a trick because I want it, I can afford it, and I have an audience for it. I no my comments my leave a bitter taste in some mouths but I love my hobby and just want to no if something is worth buying,. So finally MR EFFECTO I see you have a large number of post, I do not no what you have posted but any member with that amount of post must have value to this forum, so reconsider about leaving the forum and no that more people feel the ways you do as do not.

Tom.

I second motion to NOT let Mr. Effecto leave the Café!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Tom - consider this a virtual (germ-free) handshake of good-will Smile Actually... why not - a virtual hug (the world needs more of those)!

Having been in magic for a few decades now I've come to appreciate the idea of "earning a secret." I performed professionally for about a year, saving a little from each show, in order to purchase a superior (and innovative) tool from Craig. There's value in certain items not becoming ubiquitous and devalued.

I've not shared my thoughts in this thread because I feel upset by seeing a copy-cat product enter the market for a tenth of the cost that I spent on it several years ago. I understand that technology becomes cheaper as time goes on (not to mention economies of scale). I'm posting because this is yet another case of the systemic degradation of propriety within the magic community - this time perpetrated by the biggest "magic producer" in the world. Awareness needs to be raised.

This isn't a question of "politics" - right is right.

Best wishes,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2020, magicmind wrote:
Have been looking at these sets/single version. Confusion comes in as both are from persons with "An" last names. So can someone clarify, to verify that my notes are correct?
Antoine set (three) has a screen and app. Thumper is optional, but only reads one die. What is the measurement of the die?
Anverdi set (three) has a screen and NO app nor thumper. What is the measurement of the die?
Anverdi DIE (single) has a newer thumper and NO app nor screen.

Whew, did I get it right?
I know the history, just want product info on what I mentioned above.

Your description of the Antoine set is incorrect. I do not have time to give you a full description of all the options available here but they are in the ad copy etc.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I’m not referring to options I’m referring to buying it out right without add-ons what it comes with. Can anyone clarify for me what I asked above? Sizes etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Anverdi's Mental Die (156 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL