We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Who are "THEM"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
NazeDude
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of NazeDude
Quote:
On 2004-06-24 00:20, Another thing that I didn't like is they didn't do anything original. It's one thing to get famous with your own illusions, but they took a bunch of stuff you could have bought through the advertisements in MAGIC magazine. They are getting famous off of everyone else's tricks and work. I really didn't like (though it looked cool) that head falling off trick. It looked oddly like a Peter Marvey Illusion........

I didn't think everything could be purchased from a magic shop. There were very strong effects never seen before in magic. The superman flying by the door bit has got me baffled. The head falling off that guy was great. Peter Marvey could not make it look better. The coffee cup floating was brilliant and clever. If you were not a magician and saw something like that in front of you, you'd be blown away. Think about it! Also, the bottle cap in the bottle with water in it...come on ... that was clever too! So much more: The quick change with that hot chick was fast. Its not your usual stage costume quick change! The elevator illusion ... how the f*** did they do that in a real elevator? And the hand stretching illusion in a candy vending machine ... just simply clever. I think THEM puts meaning and reason behind the magic they do. I must agree that the editing could have been better but if you can see past the small imperfections of the special, I think we have another winner. I support THEM & wish them the very best for more to come. We should be rooting for new upcoming magicians. Not bash them on their first appearance. Keep it coming and don't let the negative words of unprofessional critics get to you.

Michael Y
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I dunno, but a broken and restored statue seems pretty original to me. To all the negative folks on here, it isn't the tricks they do on the show that matters...it's the tricks they do to get on tv that matter! Think about it!

Nathan Pain
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I liked the tricks, but the set-up "candid camera" feel was not needed. They cats have talent! Let them really show it!

I think I'm in love with Lisa.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6285 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2004-06-25 11:58, nathanpain wrote:
I dunno, but a broken and restored statue seems pretty original to me. To all the negative folks on here, it isn't the tricks they do on the show that matters...it's the tricks they do to get on tv that matter! Think about it!

Nathan Pain

Beautiful, Nathan, beautiful!

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
Another thing that I didn't like is they didn't do anything original.

Man, I must be outta the loop. I've been doing magic over 30 yrs and them guys had me scratching my head on almost every effect!

Lets not bash the new talent and new ideas.Bottom Line is they are ON TV. We are home watching TV.
tommy k
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of tommy k
I get the feeling that T.H.E.M. is under fire because they are doing something new and original that one of US didn't think of (or some nice twists on old effects).

As some of the heavy hitting pros that view the Café have metioned before - it's not about doing effects for us, but for the lay audience. I will support this position with sponge balls. While most magicians cringe at the site of them, our audiences will talk about what happened with them long after they experienced the trick.

T.H.E.M. was interesting. I personally wasn't in awe after watching it (although the statue bit and falling head bits did look great) but I found myself respecting the talent of the individuals that created these effects.

Food for thought: How many of us have put out top notch material first time out? Even David Copperfield's early specials were basic compared to the ones that followed.

Wouldn't it be easier to support our craft rather than pick it apart.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Who are "THEM"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL