The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dean dill box (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
269 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
Has anyone other than Dean made a box, I once saw one like a screen somewhere?
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
First... I'm not sure why this is in the mentalism section but that being said... I'm sure they have been knocked off in China but I would NEVER purchase this from anyone other than an authorized dealer. Dean was a dear friend for so many years. It would kill me to dishonor his name and get it from a rip off dealer.
Ray Pierce
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
That said, is there anything stopping you from looking at the original Sefalaljia and having a cabinet maker or carpenter knock one together for you? There's little or nothing about it that can't be shown to the public, really. One of the attractions of the magic box is the examinability of it.

If there's an authorized dealer for Dean's box, yeah, buy from the right source. If not, consider designing your own, based on the Stewart James original.

-Patrick
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2020, Mr. Woolery wrote:
That said, is there anything stopping you from looking at the original Sefalaljia and having a cabinet maker or carpenter knock one together for you? There's little or nothing about it that can't be shown to the public, really. One of the attractions of the magic box is the examinability of it.

If there's an authorized dealer for Dean's box, yeah, buy from the right source. If not, consider designing your own, based on the Stewart James original.

-Patrick

It's great effect by a great performer but as Mr. Woolery mentions it's just a modernized recreation. Dean's estate was settled many years ago.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
To be fair... I own a custom Sefalaljia which is a wonderful routine. The only connection to Deans Box is that it uses a box. Deans routine is totally different and is what you are buying along with a beautiful piece of woodworking. There are some originals around. If you want Dean's beautiful routine, you need to purchase that. Sefalaljia is a great and classic effect and although totally different, is fun to do. They are just not at all the same thing.
Ray Pierce
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I’ve only seen one performance using the Dean’s box. The performer did use several things from Sefalaljia. But I’ve never seen Dean’s routine on its own. I viewed it as an improvement on the original box because of the proportions, the door, and the opening in the top with its clever shape. There were some rope tricks in the routine I saw that were neat, but two of them I had seen elsewhere. As rope tricks, not box tricks.

I really have no idea what Dean’s routine entails. But the question that started this was asking about the apparatus, I thought.

Patrick
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Update: I just watched a video on YouTube. Yeah, clever rope work. Very clever. If this is the whole routine, then the performance I saw before had added in the Sefalaljia material.

Well, I now agree that Penny might be the wrong place for the topic, but I also got to see a lovely ring on rope penetration that fooled me nicely.

My advice remains: if you just want the prop, build a box based on Sefalaljia or whatever size and shape works for you. If you want the routine, I’m clueless.

Patrick
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
To be fair... I own a custom Sefalaljia which is a wonderful routine. The only connection to Deans Box is that it uses a box. Deans routine is totally different and is what you are buying along with a beautiful piece of woodworking. There are some originals around. If you want Dean's beautiful routine, you need to purchase that. Sefalaljia is a great and classic effect and although totally different, is fun to do. They are just not at all the same thing.

Dean produced a wonderful routine but there was nothing new he created. In his shop one day I watched him do the same routine, without the box, with just string behind his neck. It was awesome! If you know rope magic.....whatever box is irrelevant.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
We ALL did rope and Ring & Rope routines. You're missing the point. The box gave it a raison d'être. It made it special. It MUST have something to do with it! I have done some killer rope moves but doing the routine with the box floors people. Interestingly the smarter they are, they better it is!
Ray Pierce
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
My wife and I bought our Dean Box from him personally and he actually used it to show me how to do the routine. His box was constructed around his routine so in order to do his routine just the way he did it you would need this particular box. That being said I'm sure there are knock-offs people who may have seen his box and know what has to be done to it in order to copy his routine but I can tell you this much Dean's Box is made very well and will hold up for years to come.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dean dill box (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL