The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cleaning coppers the easy way (during dinner) :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
If you ever want to clean your coppers, or have found a nice copper coin that you want to be really shiny, but it looks brown and manky (you know what I mean), here's the effortless way to do it:
drop them into a glass of red wine and just let them sit there for 15min or so. take them out and - voila, they'll be the shiniest coppers you have ever seen.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4829 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
It also works for old British gold coins but I recommend you pour Cabernet Sovereign. Smile
Don't try it with Cabernet Sauvignon it won't work.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Actually if you pour some salt on them and rub a lemon on them they get cleaned in under 30 seconds.
Roland B
View Profile
New user
Paris(France)
41 Posts

Profile of Roland B
Coca cola also works, I never tried with wine (and I don't think I will Smile )
Rolangicien
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
Does this work with silvers also, or does it jsut work with coppers because of the way they "decompose" (for lack of a better word)?
RxGregory
View Profile
New user
St. Charles, MO
65 Posts

Profile of RxGregory
Kidmagic87 -
:fyi: check this link...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=3

:goodluck:
Greg
If it was easy, everybody would do it, and if everybody did it, it wouldn't be magic.
David Roth (Ultimate Coin Magic Vol. 11)
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
No idea if it works for silver, nickel or anything else. I justed wanted to share the fact that red wine cleans coppers. in case you wonder how I came to try this - I didn't, at least not intentionally. we have a funny tradition here: at dinners you can drop a penny into some elses wine glass and the owner of that wine glass then has to down it (the wine, not the penny). originates from saving the queen from drowning as far as I know. well and someone got 'pennied' with a rather dirty coin the other week but didn't touch their glass for a while; after he downed it a truly shiny penny emerged from the glass ;-)
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
We also have a tradition in states Sirakor... it's called "quarters". Same coin in glass idea, but totally different motivation. Instead of saving the Queen from drowning, we try to drown our buddies!

I have a little group who come into the bar on weekends, take over a small area, and play for hours.

It's a learned but useless skill Smile

They're fun to do magic for by the end of the night. Talk about being able to get away with murder... I could load soccer balls under their coasters and they wouldn't notice!

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I would never do this to harm a fine wine... argh... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Pete-I'm with you. What a waste of good wine. But it does remind me of my sponge beluga effect.....
Roland B
View Profile
New user
Paris(France)
41 Posts

Profile of Roland B
Ethicaly, I definetly would not use wine. Fine wine would be harmed and poor wine wouldn't be in my glass Smile
Rolangicien
tallant
View Profile
New user
Weymouth, England
21 Posts

Profile of tallant
Heh, if you feel hessitant about using (wasting!) good wine, there's another technique, whic is a bit messier mind.
I've found using Brown Sauce also cleans the coppers so that they look like they are 'fresh from the mint'.

Just place the copper in some of the sauce so that it is covered, leave for a minute or 2, and then clean it off.

At least this way you aren't wasting any wine!

Although the salt and lemon idea seems more appropriate.
Thanks,
Tony Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dropping a coin into wine isn't quite as bet etiquette-wise as something that happened the other night...

We were dining with some friends, who brought along a couple we had just met. Said couple are richer than God... but class? The man (I leave out the first six letters of the word GENTLEman), while we were eating, whipped out a length of DENTAL FLOSS and flossed...

Ptoooooooieeeeeeeee
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4829 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Pete,
Are you sure he wasn't doing the The Gypsy Thread and you were too inebriated to remember. Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Burp!
ChinaMan
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of ChinaMan
I use BAKING SODA - It works on Brass, Silver & Copper. Mix Baking Soda with water into a paste then rub it on your coins! No harm to your coins... see how it sHinEs!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just tried using lemon juice, salt and a little water on one of my coin sets - worked great! I just swished them around and let them sit for 5 minutes. Got shiny coppers and silvers without any fuss.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
I just found a easier way take ashes from a cigerette and rub it on the copper coin I have not tryed it with silver but works great with copper.
six
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Amazing recipes. what are you trying to clean off the coins?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Instaed of wine use vinegar.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cleaning coppers the easy way (during dinner) :) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL