The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Looking for a great no sleight coin trick (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
reed kammerer
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of reed kammerer
I'm just getting into coin magic. Looking to buy a very good and fooling coin effect.
reed kammerer
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of reed kammerer
I just found Sucker Punch trick..would this be a good start in coin type magic?
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I don't have experience with Sucker Punch Trick, but many magicians have good success with a Scotch and Soda set or a Copper Silver Brass set. They're very fooling and fun.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I usually agree with Theodore - and C/S coin should quickly be in any beginners kit, but ...
the handling of a C/S and certainly Scotch and Soda include sleights - minor ones, but still practiced actions kept secret from the audience.

generally, sleight means "the use of dexterity or cunning, especially so as to deceive." For magicians this usually implies a secret physical action rather that a psychological ploy.

Is the definition of "sleight" changing? Even the Fulves' Self Working Coin Magic has many simple sleights, and I would recommend that as an early purchase here (about $8.00)

Aldo Colombini had download PDF call "Easy Coins" claiming "In this booklet, you will find SEVEN very strong coin routines requiring NO SLEIGHTS AT ALL." Don't know if it is still available.

Perhaps the OP can clarify to mean "no difficult sleights" or tricks requiring no practice. Reed, do you mean "self-working?" or do you have hand disabilities like me that limits which sleights I can do?

The idea of "purchase" implies a gaff or gimmicked coin - all that involved the practice of secret moves/sleights.
Even an Okito Box requires a sleight, albeit very easy to do. But I would not recommend that here because some palming is required (sleight).

Isn't there a tray that flips the coin over without the magician touching it?

Maybe I am thrown by the desire to "buy something." Try the local library - hundreds of great coin effects for free.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Good points Funsway. I guess I just think of those tricks as being so simple they are "sleight free". Like you said, there are some very easy sleights within range of the beginner in both of those tricks.
You do bring up a great point. What exactly is considered a sleight? I was just sitting here trying to think of sleight free coin tricks and even the simplest ones seem to require a sleight of some kind.
The block that changes a penny to a dime is "self-working"... except when setting it up and during clean up. Ha!
Budda papers... still have a sleight. Sorta.
Bite out quarter... maybe an easy finger palm and a false transfer.
The Bob Solari version of Miser's Dream uses a gimmick that makes it "sleight free" but you still need to do what might be considered very easy sleights.
Cheapo plastic coin changing boxes still require simple deceptions that could be considered in the realm of sleights.
On and on.
Maybe there is no truly sleight "free" coin magic.
Thanks for raising that thoughtful point, it's something to consider when discussing tricks with beginners in coin magic.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Yes, that's a very good point, funsway: what exactly is a sleight? Maybe, any secret, physical motion that requires at least some special, physical dexterity.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Johnson and Sterling Scotch and Soda requires no sleights. that's what I started with and use to kill with it. As did may others. 🙂
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
Fading Coin is an incredibly easy, and surprising, coin effect that doesn't require any special coins.
I learned it from Eugene Burger's Penguin Live Lecture, and he learned it from Tomoyuki Takahashi who published it in Genii - Volume 63, Number 5 - May 2000
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2020, Michael L wrote:
Fading Coin is an incredibly easy, and surprising, coin effect that doesn't require any special coins.
I learned it from Eugene Burger's Penguin Live Lecture, and he learned it from Tomoyuki Takahashi who published it in Genii - Volume 63, Number 5 - May 2000

I wanted to suggest this but couldn't remember the name. Thank you for refreshing my memory.

This is a great no sleight trick!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
As stated above, Hopping Halves gets a ton of bang for the buck. I started out (mostly cards) but had a Scotch and Soda set (another no sleight winner) and a hopping halves set (plus one fairly simple SOH one coin routine). To this day, I still use all 3 along with many others.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Lots of good stuff already mentioned.
In the "virtually sleight-free" category, John Murray's "The Mark" is a strong "signed coin to impossible location".
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I stared out with copper silver coin magic as a teen and stuck with it through the years 👍🏼, and now I make them as a hobby slash small business .
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
kissfan4
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of kissfan4
Scotch and Soda great trick to start off with.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
After all these years, this still kills:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/32?gclid=......cHfD_BwE

Doug
Rodeo
View Profile
New user
BC, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Rodeo
Thank you for the cheap, easy, and fun suggestion Doug! Like the original poster, my coin repertoire is very low and it is nice to incorporate something simple while I work on the rest of my (lacking) skills.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Another good one, if you can find it, is "Nickel To Penny To Dime". The reactions I get! Wow!

Doug
Rodeo
View Profile
New user
BC, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Rodeo
I did come across it and it was nice and cheap which makes me happy! Unfortunately, it was out of stock at the magic supplier I normally purchase from. Time to start hunting around! I appreciate the suggestions.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
Simple tricks allow you to perfect an effect and make it magic. Even when I performed every day only a few things were pure sleight-of-hand, SOH. I shovel a lot of BS in tale telling, so effects that are just guessing games don't fit very well into my work. Nonetheless, CSB and Hopping Halves are great apparatus with minimal SOH. The quarter to impossible location (nest of boxes) using the gaffed coin hanky revealed in the Mark Wilson magic book remains a favorite. The coin or ring to impossible location are favorites of mine. Nick Einhorn has a nest of wallets that is excellent.

To see if you enjoy that effect try the Royal Magic nest of boxes.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2021, griz326 wrote:
...CSB and Hopping Halves are great apparatus with minimal SOH.

This is the easiest for $50, and is a mind-blower! NO sleight of hand!

https://tomladshawmagic.com/coin-tricks/......imit=100

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Looking for a great no sleight coin trick (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL