We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay, 28th June (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
Are any of our members going to see Luke on 28th June?

Going on my own and a little scared as it's supposed to be a darker performance. So for anyone going, I'll be the blonde girl with her hands over her eyes.
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Where is he at, Dizzy?
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Be brave, Dizzy.

It's at the same venue as last time, Magic Cavern, 28a Comeragh (sp ?) Road, London (under the pub).

I look forward to more controversial reviews after the event.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Cardiac,

I'd be more interested in hearing public reviews, as opposed to the recent threads of our fellow members. Sometimes, I think a public review is much more interesting.
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Johne,

What do you mean by a 'public review'?

Simon
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I just meant I would be interested in reading what people's thoughts that were actually non-magician/mentalist giving the reviews. Like what you see after a new movie, people coming from the theatre saying, "Oh, my God, that was incredible."
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Oh, OK, non magic forum review, sorry.

If I see any, I'll post them here.
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
Tickets arrived today with no row or seat number, so I think that I'll sit at the back ready for a quick escape when it gets too much.

It will, however, be very interesting to hear the reviews of the show. I have never seen him perform anything like this before, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I think the audience will be made up of different people too. Mentalists can be very harsh to one another with their comments and suggestions which is one of the reasons why I would delve into such as area.

Maybe on the review we can just review the show this time.

Being female, I would love to comment on his clothes, hair, shoes and voice though. Smile
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Dizzy,

No allocated seats so you can sit anywhere. It's a tiny venue. though, so there'll be no hiding place. LOL.

Luke Jermay's Shoes and Hair. Hmmm, I can see the thread now...
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
Will Luke's show be the same effects as in his previous run at that venue, or different ones?
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Different, apparently, accordinmg to the publicity. "Darker" is the word they use.

Perhaps it's the same as last time, but they turn the lights out.

Sorry about that.
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
Thanks. Might go along to see it. I quite enjoyed Luke's show a few weeks back, but felt it could benefit from a certain amount of polishing in the area of stagecraft and general presentation, and a wider range of emotional moods.

Also, if I was in Luke's position, I would make a definite effort not to come across as being too similar to a certain Mr D. Brown. Possibly unintentionally, Luke took on a few too many catch-phrases and aspects of his general style from the Big Name, and even his outfit (pinstriped suit with an open shirt) is the same as DB wore in Russian Roulette and other shows.

These are merely offered as suggestions for improvement of an act which already shows great potential.
Hypnotist and mentalist.
www.doctoromni.com
seanadl
View Profile
New user
London UK
100 Posts

Profile of seanadl
I shall be there.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1265 Posts

Profile of reese
Post reviews please! It's too bad the man left the Café. Only 19 years old? He's going to have a large body of work behind him by the time he's my age. I hope he has a long and successful career. He has the potential to make such a huge contribution over time.
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
Reese, on the whole, I was impressed by the show. I liked the comic style of the warm-up magician (I think his name was Neil), and Luke had an excellent opening with divining the cards two audience members were thinking of. His cold-reading style is exceptionally bold and reasonably (though not entirely) accurate.

I would only add to the above comments the following tips to improve the act:

(1) The compere (MC) should not have mentioned in his introduction the titles of Luke's publications. This both tells lay people in the audience that there are books on how all this is done (i.e., signals that it's all just tricks) and also gives them stuff to search for on Google.

(Incidentally, I haven't read Luke's material.) Also, even in an informal venue in a basement underneath a pub, the compere should wear a slightly more atmospheric outfit than scruffy jeans and a T-shirt.

(2) Too much of the effects was merely appreciated by the volunteer on stage rather than the entire audience. (This was the palm movement effect, whatever it's called.) You need to find a way to extend the power of the effect to the entire audience's experience.

(3) Several of the effects - PK Touches and the description of the person on the index card - were done much too quickly. It's important to build up dramatic power through pacing, and also to ensure that the audience (especially lay people) fully appreciate the point of what the effect is supposed to have just achieved. On the other hand, the effect in which several people sitting in the audience had packets of playing cards, with Luke doing something slightly different with each of them, was too complicated, involved, and hard to follow. It was difficult to identify what the "miracle" was that had been supposedly just been accomplished. There were too many elements for the audience to keep track of. That effect needs to be tightened up and more focused, perhaps by having one or two volunteers on stage with Luke and fewer elements to follow, so that the entire audience can easily see and understand the "miracle".

There is a huge gap between mentalism at magicians' events and mentalism for the lay public. Magicians already know the basics and are impressed by new technical innovations. Luke is admired greatly among them, but I think needs to work on adapting his act for maximum impact on lay people, for whom all this is completely new.

But many congratulations to him for a good evening's entertainment. If the show on 28th June contains different material, I'll do my best to go along.
Hypnotist and mentalist.
www.doctoromni.com
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Doctor,

Excellent points. I agree with (1) and (2).

(3) Absolutely. When I went to see him that multi-packet trick failed and there didn't appear to be any 'out', just quickly moving on to the next thing which IMHO didn't do much for the credibility of the performer.
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
I was there again. This show was in my opinion much better than the previous ones. Much more clarity and just really nice effects.

//Daniel
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Any other reviews?
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3453 Posts

Profile of Looch
Did anyone see Sean try and chat up Dizzy?
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
I saw and chatted to her. Didn't chat UP, though. Smile

//Daniel
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay, 28th June (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL