The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Belief and magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9021 Posts

Profile of funsway
Paraphrasing 'Lawence O' --

It doesn't matter if you believe in magic. A belief means someone else is doing the thinking.
With magic you must think for yourself!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
Only a charlatan would want his audience to actually believe in magic or any superstitious nonsense, except for their amusement.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2020, tommy wrote:
Only a charlatan would want his audience to actually believe in magic or any superstitious nonsense, except for their amusement.

Then what do you think about Santa Claus?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well, Santa Claus is real: I have his address and I write to him every Christmas.

I think adults who tell children that Santa Claus is not real are charlatans.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9021 Posts

Profile of funsway
"superstitious nonsense" - are you talking about politics or religion?

I do not "beleive in magic" as that relies on the experiences of others.

I "know of magic" from personal experience, i.e. I accept that there are things I do not understand and have no need to "figure them out."

I like the fact that there is inexplicable phenomenon in the universe. I can pretend at magic in a theatrical way
so that observers can have a real-time experience of impossible things as a diversion from "believed things."

No believing or superstitious causality is required - just a real experience of astonishment, awe&wonder and joy.

I do not even care what they believe. I am interested in the story they might tell 40 years from now.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
No! Talking about politics or religion is against the rules. If you mention politics or religion again I will tell Santa.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Belief and magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL