The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Impossible cardtrick by Boris Wild. Fool Us. (142 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
-Or were they? Smile It's all about showbiz!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2020, Kaliix wrote:
I would say it indicates nothing of the sort. I can believe a lot of things, but P and T have no incentive to cheat for Boris Wild/his trick and a stellar reputation/hit show to potentially lose. I'm not buying it without evidence and there really isn't any. It was a great trick and fooled me.

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2020, EZrhythm wrote:
Conspiring? That's funny. My posts are all in good fun and I am happy to concede if they actually were fooled. PURACAAN was mentioned earlier. As I mentioned before- With Penn calling out "Three" and then squaring up the three cards counted to and not displaying the other two APPEARS to indicate that he was in on it.

If you really want a rebuttal for the evidence you presented, fine. Penn didn't show the two cards underneath but he spread them and looked at them openly, holding them parallel at first and then openly displaying the three cards as he carried them in a spread back to his seat. He then showed them to Teller as they inspected the whole deck at their seats, surrounded by spectators who could have easily seen if there were dupes. So no, I am not convinced by that theory.

Teller is a magician. Magicians don't handle cards like regular people. Another interpretation is that Teller was concentrating on shuffling the cards because he was trying to make sure he fairly mixed the cards and shuffled them. That is as good an explanation as yours is.

I see both Penn and Teller as having a moral code that wouldn't allow them to openly and brazenly cheat the viewers of their show. I see no reason at all for them to give a FU to Boris Wild when cleverly calling him out on how the trick was done would be equally entertaining. No real advantage gained so no motive to cheat. Boris Wild is not anyone close to Penn and Teller in any kind of personal way. If he was a close friend or confidant I could see it, but Boris is just another magician on their show, who did an amazing and entertaining routine, regardless of whether he fooled P and T.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Very good points, Kaliix!

If I was to decide to agree with you on those claims then I would take the position with this in mind, "Boris is just another magician on their show, who did an amazing and entertaining routine, regardless of whether he fooled P and T."
To which I would say, Penn and Teller were not fooled but they did a fantastic job making it look as if they were. And THAT is show biz!
Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
robbnj
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of robbnj
I am firmly a non-believer in the idea that this is a stooged effect. As said, these guys have too much to lose by lying about being fooled. There's NO reward for the risk. It would be stupid.

That said, how come no one has proposed the idea that they were fooled simply because the effect was done in a way they had not experienced before? Remember, they have ONE guess. If an effect has multiple possible ways to be done and they pick the wrong one, they are "fooled". More than one magician has done a trick that P&T knew how to do, but the magician created a new method in order to fool them, and succeeded.

My bet (given prior posts discussing the strong similarity of this trick to others) is that this is one of those occasions.
MBAgamer
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MBAgamer
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2020, EZrhythm wrote:
Very good points, Kaliix!

If I was to decide to agree with you on those claims then I would take the position with this in mind, "Boris is just another magician on their show, who did an amazing and entertaining routine, regardless of whether he fooled P and T."
To which I would say, Penn and Teller were not fooled but they did a fantastic job making it look as if they were. And THAT is show biz!
Smile

They were obviously fooled. And I explained why: because the part that fooled them uses a part of the method from the Boris effect PURACAAN. If you know the method behind PURACAAN, you can easily figure out what part of its method is involved in the routine Boris performed on FU. And if you can figure that out, you can very easily see that this routine did, in fact, fool Penn and Teller. In fact it would have fooled anyone under those conditions. In order to see why this is so, you must look into the Boris effect PURACAAN. Penn and Teller were 100% without a doubt fooled and anyone watching would have also been fooled; this is just due to the nature of what happened. A very special circumstance occurred. To know what that is, again, look into the Boris effect PURACAAN.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2020, dj wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2020, dj wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2020, CardGuyMike wrote:
Recent performances on Fool Us by pros like Asi Wind and Boris Wild have been on another level. This looked as clean as it gets. I wonder if he will release it.

I'm pretty sure he's already released this version.
Darko

I meant PURACAAN:
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......nsations

Darko

Darko
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
Still doesn't explain Penn calling out the number three and then Boris cleanly dealing to the third card without any deck manipulations.

Yes there IS an explanation, which several people have now mentioned in various ways -
What happened is (apparently) entirely consistent with PURACAAN. If the spectator happens to call 3, then there is a really clean ending. If Penn had called another number, Boris would have needed to do more work - which would have presumably been more obvious. Boris didn't NEED the number 3, but it was still the best outcome.
There are lots of effects with multiple outs, one of which gives the perfect ultra-clean ending.

Now I gotta get PURACAAN!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Bingo! It was like a magic trick trailer, the best possible outcome...

Quote:
On Nov 8, 2020, Nikodemus wrote:
Quote:
Still doesn't explain Penn calling out the number three and then Boris cleanly dealing to the third card without any deck manipulations.

Yes there IS an explanation, which several people have now mentioned in various ways -
What happened is (apparently) entirely consistent with PURACAAN. If the spectator happens to call 3, then there is a really clean ending. If Penn had called another number, Boris would have needed to do more work - which would have presumably been more obvious. Boris didn't NEED the number 3, but it was still the best outcome.
There are lots of effects with multiple outs, one of which gives the perfect ultra-clean ending.

Now I gotta get PURACAAN!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2020, Kaliix wrote:

Bingo is right! Penn didn't call "THREE" out of the blue. Maybe not stooged but certainly staged!

That's showbiz!
Smile
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
There is a 1 in 52 chance of him calling 3. Why are you so convinced this must have been a collaboration rather than just good luck? I think you need to provide some concrete evidence.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Watch Boris spread exactly 3 cards around 5:20 into the trick. Are you telling me that the card Penn looked at was not at position three and was somehow snuck into that place? If there was an extra card, why didn't Penn detect that there were more than four cards when he took position of the three cards and the deck? We never see Boris change the order of the cards in any way after three is named.

Mike
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
If we believe that the card really was at the 3rd position and that this was a normal deck of 52 different cards, then there are really only two options: collaboration or luck. There really is no proof either way but I will never believe collaboration. That goes against Penn's character. And remember, Penn's favorite card is the 3 of clubs so it's not so crazy that he would name 3. For many ACAAN methods that could actually be a tricky number. And if it really was dumb luck, no wonder P&T were fooled.
iFeatherly
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of iFeatherly
Isn’t Penn’s favorite card the 3 of Clubs? Probably just a hot read that worked out well.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
That's not showbiz, that's a conspiracy theory with no proof... Smile

Quote:
On Nov 9, 2020, EZrhythm wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2020, Kaliix wrote:

Bingo is right! Penn didn't call "THREE" out of the blue. Maybe not stooged but certainly staged!

That's showbiz!
Smile
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2020, CardGuyMike wrote:
If we believe that the card really was at the 3rd position and that this was a normal deck of 52 different cards, then there are really only two options: collaboration or luck.

It's every magicians goal to have the only options be stooge, luck or miracle.

iFeatherly
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of iFeatherly
This is a performance setting where the magician has time to study the people he’ll be performing for before hand. Out of a bunch of episodes I’ve seen, when Teller shuffles it’s typically overhand. When Penn is asked to name a card it’s always the 3 of Clubs. I don’t see an issue with using this type of information to your advantage. Boris could have been taking a flyer by controlling it to that position and hoping for the 3 to be called by Penn. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe that was the case.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2020, iFeatherly wrote:
This is a performance setting where the magician has time to study the people he’ll be performing for before hand. Out of a bunch of episodes I’ve seen, when Teller shuffles it’s typically overhand. When Penn is asked to name a card it’s always the 3 of Clubs. I don’t see an issue with using this type of information to your advantage. Boris could have been taking a flyer by controlling it to that position and hoping for the 3 to be called by Penn. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe that was the case.

I haven't noticed Penn always choosing the 3 of clubs; however, "using this type of information" is perfectly OK in any magic effect. I have a friend who tends to choose the queen of hearts, eg! PLUS I'm quite sure that Boris knows the magic of "outs". So I'll try to figure it out; but in the meantime bask in the fun of this magic performance. Lynn ..... ps thanx iFeatherly
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I don't think this is an OUTS trick, as they tend to be rather transparent.
What kind of professional magician would use his golden televised opportunity to perform an outs effect? He wouldn't have made it past the audition.

Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
An under-the-spread cull to a specific number would most likely start with the card near the top. Position 5 is common, but 3 would work too. Watch the handling from the point where Boris asks Penn to name a number from 1 to 52. It couldn't be cleaner. One, two, three cards which are then handed just as cleanly to Penn. Either the card is at three or it's the cleanest switch in the history of magic. Also, Penn keeps the cards. So we must assume that he has exactly three cards.

Mike
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2020, Mike Powers wrote:
An under-the-spread cull to a specific number would most likely start with the card near the top. Position 5 is common, but 3 would work too. Watch the handling from the point where Boris asks Penn to name a number from 1 to 52. It couldn't be cleaner. One, two, three cards which are then handed just as cleanly to Penn. Either the card is at three or it's the cleanest switch in the history of magic. Also, Penn keeps the cards. So we must assume that he has exactly three cards.

Mike

But Boris has the cards in magicians grip for a long time and several camera-cuts between the Ask and Count.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Impossible cardtrick by Boris Wild. Fool Us. (142 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL