The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Anyone know who created "Quarter Go" aka The Lippincottt box? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

justbill
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of justbill
Digging into history for a project I'm writing and sort of hit a wall. I know the trick was based off Houdin's "Watch Box" which I found in Modern Magic, but the origin of the Lippincott Box aka Quarter Go version is a little murkier. There seems to be a discrepancy on whether it was created by Mal Lipincott or Jack Lippincott. I fund this YouTube video by David Dellman which discusses the origin in depth but doesn't land on a concrete answer. It seems the answer lies n the ads from old issues of Genii and the like.

Anyone have any insight (with a source) that gets to the bottom of which Lippincott created the trick and when?

Here's some other resources I found:

https://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php......cott_Box
https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=33577

- - -

Lippincott's Quarter Go was reviewed by Don Alan in Genii 1958 December :

"LIPPINCOTT'S QUARTER GO with routine: (Don Alan)
This is an old favorite of mine and is an excellent pocket trick. A marked quarter is placed under a handkerchief and given to spectator to hold. A beautiful wooden padlocked chest (it now comes in a natural blonde finish) is placed upon another spectator's palm, and an unprepared glass tumbler is
placed on top of the chest. The handkerchief is held over mouth
of glass. Spectator drops coin into glass. It is heard to clink. Handkerchief is whisked away and the chest is unlocked by spectator and contains the marked quarter. No glass discs or trick glass used glass and chest can be passed out
for examination. Martin' Magic Shop, P. O. Box 413, Peoria, Illinois, or your dealer. Priced at $5.00."

You have also an Ad in Genii 1958 April, page 275 where you can see a drawing of the box.

- - -

Max Maven's "Inquisition" in July 2007 issue of Genii where it states "Jack Lippincott invented an efficient device for vanishing or producing a small object. Today it is best known under its inventor's name as "The Lippincott Box." But, when it was first marketed by Holden's in 1949, the title was '______ Go.' Fill in the blank"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Anyone know who created "Quarter Go" aka The Lippincottt box? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL