The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Abbott’s Duke’s Dye Tube SEASONAL silk help (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1426 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I recently added the Abbott’s version of this in my shows and the reaction has been great. It is fun to perform, and I would like to add it to my Halloween and Christmas shows. Does anyone know of a similarly sized Halloween or Holiday themed silk that would work? If you have this version you know a large, horizontal “streamer” type silk is most effective. Custom work is too expensive. Any ideas? Thanks.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
It really is amazing isn't it? Easy to pack, but fills the stage.

I have never changed the streamer itself but always customize the tube. That is you can have whatever message or image you want on the inside of the rolled up paper tube. And you can make it big (2 foot works good) using a roll of kraft paper and some stencils.

You can also use it as a Santa introduction. Just put an image of Santa on the sheet and tie some bells onto center of silk. So once silk streamer is across stage, unroll sheet showing santa image and ring bells. At back of room have Santa enter ringing his sleigh bells. Have Santa compliment you as being "good", etc. and hand the attention over to him.

You could also add an appropriate 36" holiday silk to center of streamer too. So it would be a finale just like a silk fountain.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22655 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have performed this effect as a finale many times, and the solution is in the message you put on the paper roll.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, I have made custom silks for David Seebach for his halloween show and it was not cheap. Everyone is right on the money in putting the message in with the paper. Put the colors of a Jack o Lantern in. Tell all the colors of candy wrappers as you pull out the streamer. Then show a smiling jack o lantern as you open the paper.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
487 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I agree the paper tube is your finale with your message or picture, but sometimes instead of a streamer, I have the silks come out knotted together. I can get quite a long line of them, especially if you use 18 inchers. I use silks of the colors of the season.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1426 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Thanks, folks, and yes, I do use the message in the tube. I'm very good at freehanding many styles of block letters, so that's all good. The large silk that comes with Abbott's version is great, but doesn't have the coloring for a Halloween or Christmas event. But for now I will continue as is. I appreciate the comments.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2020, stempleton wrote:
Thanks, folks, and yes, I do use the message in the tube. I'm very good at freehanding many styles of block letters, so that's all good. The large silk that comes with Abbott's version is great, but doesn't have the coloring for a Halloween or Christmas event. But for now I will continue as is. I appreciate the comments.

Hmmm...you've got me wondering if a contrasting difference in color between the silks and streamer could be put to an advantage. Depending on patter, maybe it would make sense for the individual silks to be holiday themed and streamer not. I wonder how well something like the following would play?

Have the outside of paper tube colored so it matches streamer (eg. rainbow colored paper). Have the silks be the holiday colors (black, orange, etc for halloween). Have the inside of tube be the words and picture matching silks in color (for example "Happy Halloween", orange pumpkin, black bat, etc). In patter point out color of silks match holiday. Transform silks to "rainbow" using tube. Then say, "I wonder where the Halloween colors went?" Open paper for the kicker sign displaying the found colors.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Abbott’s Duke’s Dye Tube SEASONAL silk help (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL