The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ The Bend by James Kellogg Jr. (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8824 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2020, maklakmak wrote:
My earlier comments notwithstanding, I'd be tempted to give this product a try if it were not necessary to order a minimum of 26 keys!! As explained on its website, PropDog's first batch of 'Easy bend' keys was made from a special steel alloy which is no longer available to it on the same financial terms. Consequently, changes were made but the product still works extremely well and I am very satisfied with it, especially as I can order keys individually. However, if James Kellogg III's version, which can be bent by a two year old, uses a superior alloy then that might justify the considerable price premium? I would just like the opportunity to trial it with say a half dozen or a dozen keys. I am certainly not going to lash out more than £70 just to compare the two.

It may well be cheaper for you to join a local gym instead.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
991 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
My earlier comments notwithstanding, I'd be tempted to give this product a try if it were not necessary to order a minimum of 26 keys!! As explained on its website, PropDog's first batch of 'Easy bend' keys was made from a special steel alloy which is no longer available to it on the same financial terms. Consequently, changes were made but the product still works extremely well and I am very satisfied with it, especially as I can order keys individually. However, if James Kellogg III's version, which can be bent by a two year old, uses a superior alloy then that might justify the considerable price premium? I would just like the opportunity to trial it with say a half dozen or a dozen keys. I am certainly not going to lash out more than £70 just to compare the two.

It may well be cheaper for you to join a local gym instead.

Now THAT'S funny, pegasus!!
Smile
maklakmak
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of maklakmak
I'm sorry. I thought this site was for constructive discussion.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8824 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
I'm sorry. I thought this site was for constructive discussion.

Sense of humour failure. Smile
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1207 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Why would you bend a key at all 🤪
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2385 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2020, ArtIn wrote:
Why would you bend a key at all 🤪

Because bending a lamp post is rude Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3013 Posts

Profile of tophatter
"Because no one in the world can bend a key but you can"
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Manos Kartsakis
I have used the Propdog keys and they work great. According to this trailer the keys provided with "The Bend" are easier to bend but that is not an issue for me. A question that is more important for my performances is how likely is it for a young man with normal strength to unbend a bent key? Also, I would like to know how likely it is for the gimmicked keys to snap and break during the bending procedure.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4419 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I have the first , second and third attempt of the propdog keys . Unfortunately they are difficult to bend by female spectators from my trials and even Daves admission . On the contrary an alpha male can bend them back and even snap them after the magic . Dave explains the problems he has had with these if you read the early thread on easy bend keys . Some keys work pretty well but they are very inconsistent as Dave had to change the key supplier and now he is stuck between a key that canít be bent at all to a key that can be bent both ways . I donít know whether James has cracked this but Dave by his own admission certainly hasnít . Get the right spectator and you can get away with it but itís by no means perfect and pot luck imo , Iím interested to see James improvements if any Gaz 🙂
James Kellogg III
View Profile
New user
San Diego
94 Posts

Profile of James Kellogg III
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2020, Manos Kartsakis wrote:
I have used the Propdog keys and they work great. According to this trailer the keys provided with "The Bend" are easier to bend but that is not an issue for me. A question that is more important for my performances is how likely is it for a young man with normal strength to unbend a bent key? Also, I would like to know how likely it is for the gimmicked keys to snap and break during the bending procedure.

To bend the ungimmicked key straight is impossible, they would need some serious hulk strength to do that. The keys will never snap, you can fold the key in half, twist the key 180 degrees and will not break. They will if you used the same key multiple times, but you could probably use it 2 to 3 times max. (although that is not a guarantee amount of uses)
James Kellogg III
View Profile
New user
San Diego
94 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 13, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I have the first , second and third attempt of the propdog keys . Unfortunately they are difficult to bend by female spectators from my trials and even Daves admission . On the contrary an alpha male can bend them back and even snap them after the magic . Dave explains the problems he has had with these if you read the early thread on easy bend keys . Some keys work pretty well but they are very inconsistent as Dave had to change the key supplier and now he is stuck between a key that canít be bent at all to a key that can be bent both ways . I donít know whether James has cracked this but Dave by his own admission certainly hasnít . Get the right spectator and you can get away with it but itís by no means perfect and pot luck imo , Iím interested to see James improvements if any Gaz 🙂

So far I have bent roughly 200 keys and they all are the same with consistency of not snapping and have had spectators, while using one finger while I hold the key, bend it.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4970 Posts

Profile of videoman
So are the ungimmicked keys straight? To be examined before the bend?
Or are they pre bent? To be examined after the bend?
James Kellogg III
View Profile
New user
San Diego
94 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 13, 2020, videoman wrote:
So are the ungimmicked keys straight? To be examined before the bend?
Or are they pre bent? To be examined after the bend?

You get one straight ungimmicked and 5 bent ungimmicked (gives you a new keys to give away if desired to). So if you wanted to have the key examined beforehand to prove the hardness of the key, yes you can do that. Although usually just toss the key on a table to prove the solidity of the key then go into the bend, then switch at the end to prove how impossible it is.
maklakmak
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of maklakmak
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2020, takeachance wrote:
Why 6 ungimmicked keys?

Its new to me that 5 of the six ungimmicked keys are bent. So, unlike PropDog's key, once this product is bent it has to be switched for a bent ungimmicked one. PropDog's keys stay bent.
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Manos Kartsakis
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2020, James Kellogg III wrote:
Quote:

To bend the ungimmicked key straight is impossible, they would need some serious hulk strength to do that. The keys will never snap, you can fold the key in half, twist the key 180 degrees and will not break. They will if you used the same key multiple times, but you could probably use it 2 to 3 times max. (although that is not a guarantee amount of uses)

Thanks for the quick response. I am a little confused as far as the gimmicked keys are concerned. Once you bend a gimmicked key, can you give it to the participant as a souvenir (without switching it for a normal bent key) and be quite certain that they will not be able to unbend it when they try later at home?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4419 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes it appears these are soft from start to finish , Dave Bonsall was pretty much trying to achieve the impossible and he so nearly done it .
His can be bent and then they canít , the canít bit always works . Itís just they are quite hard to bend in the first place if itís a sleight female and you donít tell them exactly how to attempt it . Thatís what mine are like anyway , kind regards Gaz 🙂
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4419 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
In answer to Manos no imho Gaz 🙂
James Kellogg III
View Profile
New user
San Diego
94 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 14, 2020, Manos Kartsakis wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2020, James Kellogg III wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the quick response. I am a little confused as far as the gimmicked keys are concerned. Once you bend a gimmicked key, can you give it to the participant as a souvenir (without switching it for a normal bent key) and be quite certain that they will not be able to unbend it when they try later at home?

No this is where some confusion came into play and was not intentional, we were trying to explain that the key does not need to be switched in the beginning to bend the key, but it came across that the key does not need to be switched at all. Which was our fault and the ad needed to be revised. If you want the key to be examined (which we assume almost everyone would) or given to the spectator as a souvenir it does need to be switched out.
James Kellogg III
View Profile
New user
San Diego
94 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 14, 2020, maklakmak wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2020, takeachance wrote:
Why 6 ungimmicked keys?

Its new to me that 5 of the six ungimmicked keys are bent. So, unlike PropDog's key, once this product is bent it has to be switched for a bent ungimmicked one. PropDog's keys stay bent.

Correct, we were informed that the ad copy was misleading and we take full responsibility as it was not our intention to say there was no switches at all. We were trying to express that the key does not need to be switched before the bend. But we learned instead of trying to preserve a secret we should have just stated it needed a switch to be examined.
maklakmak
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of maklakmak
The bottom line is this;

1. If it is to be examined at the outset, a straight un-gimmicked key must be employed in both cases. However,
2. If it is to be examined after the 'bend', an un-gimmicked bent key must be switched for JK III's product (but not for PropDog's).

That is why JK III provides both straight and bent un-gimmicked keys while PropDog only provides the former.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ The Bend by James Kellogg Jr. (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL