The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Finger Snap (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I'm not sure why, but when I see a magician snap their finger to "make the magic happen", I get a cheezy feeling in my bones. What feels even worse is when a magician snaps their fingers once, then uses an "alakazam" the next time. I feel like this is ok for children's shows, but not adults.

I suppose if a person really had magical powers, if you could really use your mind to alter reality, would it take a finger snap to make it all happen? And, if so, then every time you did something magical, I guess you would need to snap your finger.

what do you think?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9061 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is an advantage to having some signal as to the "moment of magic" in controlling anticipation, surprise, or the completion of rhythm, etc.
That is, it is an essential part of misdirection and creating an expectation that magic is about to occur.

But, I agree that consistency is better than a random collection of actions. If you use a wand in one effect, you should use it in all.

It you tap a cup to produce a ring in one sequence, it is silly not to use the ring to signal that magic moment in others.

Personally, I never introduce the idea that the sound (snap, ring word) causes the magic to happen, only that it signals when it has occurred.

As to having real magic powers (magical mean sorta like magic), those that I am believed to have are fractious and therefor cannot be signaled or cued as to occurance.
We all "alter reality" with our minds - that is what perception means, and if one had a strange power that others considered to be actual and controllable it would be a reality for that person and observers.

Thus, one cannot have a magic power as it would be science for them. Others might think it to be magic based on their perception of what is impossible,
so the question is why the person doing the act would wish to draw attention to it with a word or action? Would not the impossible event be enough?

Of course, if I did something magic like cause clouds to gather for needed rain, I might want to give warning so that folks would be prepared and find a lost umbrella.
So, my snapping my fingers would be an alert to focus attention and would not be a cause for the rain - just like when I pretend at magic.

Mostly, magic just happens around me without any signal or warning, and my making a sound just means I get blamed.
Wizard work best invisibly and allow other to take credit, or so say those wizards of my acquintance.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes, finger snapping is bit naff: lacking in style.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Funsway, That was very enlightening. Maybe it's just my style, maybe it's having seen a ton of magicians, that the more I see some things, the more they annoy me. For example, when someone picks "any card" from a face down deck and the performer says: "Are you sure?" I know some performers who do that every single time. I can appreciate if there is a reason to say something like: "Do you want this one or that one" when it's close, but not "Are you sure?" or "Do you want to change your mind... or are you happy with the mind you have?".

Back to the finger snapping and "magic phrases" for adults, I guess working magical gestures or signals into the patter is more my style. I think I also f

ind in many cases it's just not necessary. For example, I like to do "Ringnature" by Ed Ellis. A rubberband is wrapped around the deck, and the way I do it, their card comes flying out of the deck with a rubber band and ring attached to it. It really doesn't need any finger snap.

I like your thought on signaling the time. I also like to make a wind "whistling" sound.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Yes Tommy, I agree that for me, it does seem naff. I'm sure others can pull it off well, just not me.
KJ
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
Unless of course, one is Duke Ellington

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p040mgk7

Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Yeah, The Duke definitely can pull off the snap. Ol' blue eyes too.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you're cool keeping time - good for you.
Snaps have other meanings elsewhere. What are you depicting? Here's a bad guess:
"And when I snap my fingers the hypnotic suggestion will evaporate and you will see that the card has really been sitting on top of the pack"
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am thinking of commissioning a statue of myself snapping my fingers and then going standing in my own shadow.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Will you transform into the Two of Hearts?
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2020, 1KJ wrote:
For example, when someone picks "any card" from a face down deck and the performer says: "Are you sure?" I know some performers who do that every single time. I can appreciate if there is a reason to say something like: "Do you want this one or that one" when it's close, but not "Are you sure?" or "Do you want to change your mind... or are you happy with the mind you have?".

KJ

There can be a useful reason to offer the choice of change ... to "close the door" on a force, to reinforce the free choice element. That said, there are certainly graceful, smooth means of weaving that into the routine that I have seen used, that aren't as blunt as "Are you really sure?"
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2517 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I agree that it is overused and a hack device... until it isn’t. I will admit that I have only used it once in all of my years in a routine I developed at Hollywood Magic and still open my parlor and stand up shows with. I simply want the audience to know that something happened of my own intention and to think in disbelief that it could be what they expect is going to happen in defiance of their knowledge that it is impossible. After I snap my fingers, I have regularly heard the audience say, “No... no way” while their expectations formulate what just happened. I slow down the pace just drawing out that moment to tease them then their reaction on the reveal pays off the initial climax before I close with the actual finish. That moment... that hackneyed snap serves a very special purpose in this very specific routine. For the life of me I can’t think of any other time I would use it but for every rule, there is an exception and I’m sticking with this.

This is just a scratch recording I made to document it to show some friends. I can only say that at the Castle and every other place I’ve done it... it plays.

https://youtu.be/TmiI2ahXs0k

Feel free to lambaste it, call me an idiot... but I’m sticking with it after 40 years. It can be my albatross.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
That was wonderful Ray.

Merry Christmas! Smile

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9061 Posts

Profile of funsway
Rya, I really appreciate the way that this effect can work as an opener -- a prelude for event to come for those not yer paying attention or unsure
of what performance magic is about. The snap works in contrast to the jumbled questions and answers churning in the observer's mind.
"Will magic just happen - just like that?" or "Is magic all around if I just pay attention?"

A good magic routine is an orchestration of experiences. Thanks for this.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
What's wrong with the snap? The finger snap makes a noise, movement, and directs to a single location using only TWO fingers on one hand, leaving the other fingers and hand available for... whatever. It's perfect!
I get it: You've seen magicians snapping their fingers repeatedly, hell magicians tend to do and say a lot of things that are seen ad nauseam between other magicians ONLY. Not viewers, and they matter.

I've heard magicians complain about behaviors, moves, and effects ad nauseam, to the point I'd hate magic entirely if I wasn't so in love with it.
Good magic should be able to survive the guy who hates the finger snap.

The reals question is: What is happening that a finger snap is even considered in the effect? I am imagining now the spectators walking away saying: Yeah, it was good.... but he snapped" Like an old Seinfeld show.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2517 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, funsway wrote:
Rya, I really appreciate the way that this effect can work as an opener -- a prelude for event to come for those not yer paying attention or unsure
of what performance magic is about. The snap works in contrast to the jumbled questions and answers churning in the observer's mind.
"Will magic just happen - just like that?" or "Is magic all around if I just pay attention?"

A good magic routine is an orchestration of experiences. Thanks for this.

Thank you for understanding the context of this effect. It is absolutely a part of the show but plays as sort of a prelude or preshow. I wanted something that would sneak into the magic before thy were expecting anything to happen. It plays in an unusually disarming fashion and with any luck, lowers their expectations so they have no awareness that I’m actually doing nothing. It came into being when I was at Hollywood Magic. People would come into the shop with the usual declaration “Show me a trick!” I could have the deck in my hands and explain that I just had to “warm up first” then I could show them something good. Again, lowering expectations to increase the effect.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone. Thank you all for being a constant inspiration!!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
It seems to me there are negative and positive forces at work here. Smile

Tommy
Seluj
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Seluj
Quote:

Definitly a good source for a reflexion about the "magician" gestures and their meaning. Other posts as "The Pulp Fringe-Imp" and "Cause and Effect" developp the same idea.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I do it, and then show it is meaningless.

I actually say "you know the snapping has nothing to do with all that right?"

In reality I guess it is about style of presentation and mine does not fit that in.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Finger Snap (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL