The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » John Carney new book (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
For those of you whom are thinking of buying Carney's new book, here are the latest shipping details:

Delivery Delay
The printer has now promised the books to be delivered at the end of February.
The printer had originally promised me the books at the end of January. After some corrections were made, I was moved further down the line.

When I finally receive the books, I will have to fill hundreds of orders all at once, so please be patient with me. I will ship them out as quickly as I can. When I have shipped the book, I will send you an Email to let you know it is on the way.

Signed copies
I regret to say that it is not practical for me to add any personal inscription. I’ve had lots of requests to sign books, and thought I might be accommodate your requests, but it has become overwhelming.

This would require keeping track of each request, stopping the whole packing process, removing the protective wrapping, signing, and re-wrapping it before I pack the book for shipping.

Deluxe Copies
Deluxe copies will be shipped later, at the end of March.
Fitting the slip cases to the Deluxe copies properly, means there has to be a physical book printed to insure proper fit. The books won’t be printed until the end of February, at which time I can send a copy to the slip case maker. It will take a month to make the slip cases, which means they will be posted to you at the end of March.
Rest assured that as soon as the slip cases are delivered to me, they will be packed and go out immediately.

Multiple Item Orders
If you have ordered other items at the same time, I am sending those right away, with the book to follow when it is in stock.

I have done my best to make the information valuable, and the book attractive. I hope enjoy the material, and my thoughts.

Thank you for your support!

John Carney
magic11ryan
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of magic11ryan
Anything from John Carney is PURE GOLD.
Rspangl
View Profile
New user
Ohio
54 Posts

Profile of Rspangl
I would love to see a TOC, assuming the descriptions there are helpful in understanding what's in the book.
Ron Spangler
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I'm curious, are your books getting bound and printed in China or the U.S.? Another magic book publisher recently dealt with a disaster on the cargo ship from China. He's facing more delays that would not have happened if he had contracted the job here in the U.S.
Mr Matthews
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Mr Matthews
Leo H, you’re referring to Richard Kaufman and his latest book “Jennings Takes It Easy” which has sadly been delayed due to that freak accident. Richard’s books are always of the highest quality and reasonably priced to boot so I’m sure that is reflected in his choice of printer. John Carney’s past books have also been of equal quality and price so I’m sure if he is also using a Chinese firm then that choice will be for the benefit of us all regardless of location.
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
The "Book of Secrets" says "Printed and Bound in the United States" on the copyright page.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2021, Mr Matthews wrote:
Leo H, you’re referring to Richard Kaufman and his latest book “Jennings Takes It Easy” which has sadly been delayed due to that freak accident. Richard’s books are always of the highest quality and reasonably priced to boot so I’m sure that is reflected in his choice of printer. John Carney’s past books have also been of equal quality and price so I’m sure if he is also using a Chinese firm then that choice will be for the benefit of us all regardless of location.

Thanks Ekins, nice to know Carney published his last book here in the U.S.

No Mr. Matthews--printing and binding your book in China doesn't benefit the printers and binders in your home country. It does not benefit us all. In addition, the cargo ship has to first make it across the Pacific. Those that preordered are still waiting, and those that paid extra to have it by X-mas lost out. Nothing beneficial in that deal.
Mr Matthews
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Mr Matthews
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2021, Leo H wrote:

Thanks Ekins, nice to know Carney published his last book here in the U.S.

No Mr. Matthews--printing and binding your book in China doesn't benefit the printers and binders in your home country. It does not benefit us all. In addition, the cargo ship has to first make it across the Pacific. Those that preordered are still waiting, and those that paid extra to have it by X-mas lost out. Nothing beneficial in that deal.

Books printed in the US still have to go through several processes before they reach the consumer, the cargo ship incident could have similarly been a warehouse fire in The States. It was a freak accident, one beyond Richard Kaufman’s control, so while it’s unfortunate that people won’t receive their orders in the timeframe they had hoped it’s not anyone’s fault nor is it because the book was printed in a foreign country. When I stated it benefits us all I meant as purchasers in terms of price and quality, obviously I didn’t mean it’s benefited every single person on the face of the earth. How absurd.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Greetings John Carney
Your upcoming release of Sleights and Insights has created quite a stir! Congratulations!
Would you kindly post the table of contents in that we will have a much better idea of what is in the book?
Thank you
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2021, Mr Matthews wrote: When I stated it benefits us all I meant as purchasers in terms of price and quality, obviously I didn’t mean it’s benefited every single person on the face of the earth. How absurd.

I understood what you meant that it benefits us all--just the purchasers--and not the entire planet--obviously. The book publishers are indeed a link in chain and are a part of US. Outsourcing the job takes income away from the book manufacturers right here in this country. If the publishing industry continues to outsource the printing and binding to China, eventually we may not have any more printers and binders here. I don't see that as a beneficial thing.

Sure--a fire can destroy a book warehouse here in the U.S., but since the printers and binders are right here in our back yard, a follow up order won't suffer the long delay the Jennings book has already been through. A price has already been paid for outsourcing the book to China.
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Book review up on this month’s edition of Genii!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The only way to affordably print an enormous book like "Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy" is in China. They also do a much better job printing photographs.
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of rickreation
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2021, Richard Kaufman wrote:
The only way to affordably print an enormous book like "Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy" is in China. They also do a much better job printing photographs.

Thank you so much for making this book affordable. I was so relieved when I saw the price, and I know so many other magicians feel the same way.
coachawsm
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of coachawsm
Hi. Has anybody received an update on the shipping? Thank you Smile
Dutchie
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dutchie
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2021, Leo H wrote:
If the publishing industry continues to outsource the printing and binding to China, eventually we may not have any more printers and binders here. I don't see that as a beneficial thing.

It's beneficial to the consumer, because the price is lower. It's beneficial to the publisher because the margin is greater.

The global economy has meant that things being made in the "good ol' US" are far and few between, and substantially more expensive.
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
When someone gets their copy, would you please post the page count and a more detailed description of the book....Thanks in Advance..
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2021, Dutchie wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2021, Leo H wrote:
If the publishing industry continues to outsource the printing and binding to China, eventually we may not have any more printers and binders here. I don't see that as a beneficial thing.

It's beneficial to the consumer, because the price is lower. It's beneficial to the publisher because the margin is greater.

The global economy has meant that things being made in the "good ol' US" are far and few between, and substantially more expensive.

Yes but not beneficial to the printing and binding industry right here in the U.S. Doing business in your home country instead of outsourcing to cheaper labor is always a good thing to do. Besides--outsourcing to China didn't stop Kaufman from charging $415 plus postage for the Tenyo books. That's a lot.
zincy7
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of zincy7
Can anyone clarify if the Deluxe edition is any different from the standard? I think I'm a little late to the party and it seems as though the only purchasing option available is the standard book
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Deluxe edition and standard edition content was the same; I think the cover material was different (maybe leather) and a tip-in photo.

To be fair on Tenyoism, the price was $350 before shipping ($415 after shipping in North America), and it was 2 huge volumes, museum quality paper in a slipcase, and included 4 DVDs and 3 Tenyo tricks. Hard to compare to Carney’s book, but when I receive it I will try.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Zincy7, here was the original description for the new Carney book: "The Deluxe Edition is limited to 125 copies. These will be bound in black bonded leather, with gold stamp. numbered and signed, with tipped in color portrait, and slip case."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » John Carney new book (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL