The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about magic products (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

superweird7
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of superweird7
Hi guys
first I want to thanks you to answer my questions about Chinese magic shops but I don't really want to pay 50$ or 100$ on a magic trick. So is there a site or something where I can find these tricks used or just open box?
and Thanks a lot
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
There are plenty of magic selling pages on Facebook. I would really suggest a book or dvd on magic to get you started though. That will get you more bang for your buck.

Also with marketed effects you need to understand what situations that effect is made for.

What are you looking to do and who would you preform for?
superweird7
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of superweird7
Actually, I just know the basics and every day I learn something new and I want to preform on street or my friends.
Right now I just want to buy Silent Assistant by Snansminds but not for 50$, of course, and thanks for reply.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Even with that I would suggest learning a good bit on sleight of hand with coins. That would help you make that device look even better.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
An incredible source for discount magic is subscribing to Genii, or Reel Magic. Both have digital subscriptions which are very reasonable, and have monthly instructions for effects included with your subscription. You'll have access to past issues, and video content. You will have enough magic to keep you busy for a lifetime.

Also, when you get to 50 legitimate posts here on The Café you'll gain access to the "Let's make a deal" section, which includes incredible deals on magic props. Here you'll find a lot of folks selling effects just on the market for substantial discounts. I would venture to say that a good 50% of my props were purchased here, and over the years I have saved hundreds.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Jim Murphy
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Jim Murphy
Does anyone know where I can purchase a half dollar size glass disk such as the one mentioned in Tarbell, Vol.1, Lesson 4 Coin Tricks, The Dissolving Coin? Any help is appreciated.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2020, Wizard of Oz wrote:
An incredible source for discount magic is subscribing to Genii, or Reel Magic.

This. For just five bucks a month, Reel Magic is an incredible deal, and perfect for what the original poster is looking for.

See this thread for a full review of why:

Review: Reel Magic Magazine - Easily the best deal in magic today!
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=675334

DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
You can find open box, used, new and Chinese knock offs, et al, on ebay. There is a section devoted to magic tricks as a subheading to the Toys section (https://www.ebay.com/sch/Collectible-Magic-Tricks/14014/bn_3111194/i.html?_fsrp=1).

I have gotten some great deals there, but you have to be careful. I generally shop in the "auction" section, rather than "New". Always look at where the seller is located, which is how you will spot the Chinese postings (that and the sometimes too-good-to-be-true prices). Also look at the seller rating to give you insight on how they deal with customers.

You can search by item. I just did for Silent Assistant and saw 10 listings from $13 to $80 (got to wonder about listing a $50 retail item at $80, but there you go). The $13 dollar one is from....you guessed it.....China.

You may have to make a number of visits to find your items or.....like me, just drop in to see what's there....but your efforts can be rewarded with good deals.
Rodeo
View Profile
New user
BC, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Rodeo
Penguin Magic has an Open Box items on their website. They only get listed one at a time and slowly increase in discount with time until somebody buys. Many of the effects are older or have poor reviews. However, some real gems can come through there too.
SoloDoubleAct
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
83 Posts

Profile of SoloDoubleAct
SuperWeird7, another outside-the-box idea is to make some local magician friends and borrow their props once you become friends. Obviously not the easiest thing to do in Covid times, but still worth making the connections and seeing their insight and what they may have to lend/sell/give you!

Otherwise, I second the Penguin Magic Open Box section. I've gotten some fantastic items from there for real steals but at the cost of being patient and checking frequently.
Rodeo
View Profile
New user
BC, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Rodeo
SoloDoubleAct is absolutely right. I was able to get Erik Casey's Poker Test 2.0 through there with a great discount. Recently, I was able to get a DVD for 92 cents. I have even seen some items that don't have the Flat-Pack Free Shipping deal go for FREE. As Solo mentions though, you just have to continuously check and be patient. When you start watching, you will notice that they routinely put up some of the same items. So if you miss out on something, it is possible it will come back up again.
gossamer
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of gossamer
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2020, Jim Murphy wrote:
Does anyone know where I can purchase a half dollar size glass disk such as the one mentioned in Tarbell, Vol.1, Lesson 4 Coin Tricks, The Dissolving Coin? Any help is appreciated.

It would appear that https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......ic=94137 has some useful discussion on the topic, particularly near the end.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about magic products (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL