The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What to do with old cards (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
What to do with old decks of cards?

I am interested in your ideas. Here are a few of my own:

CARD WARP is an obvious one, but also WARPED IN SPACE.

TORCHED AND RESTORED by Brent Braun.

LINKED CARDS: I make linking cards that just need the centers torn out. I switch out the matching cards from a deck I'm using and ring in the gimmicked cards.

SILHOUETTE CARDS: I can't remember who released it, but it's an effect where you pretend to cut a silhouette of a famous person out of a card and you give it to them as a souvenir.

THREE CARD MONTE

OIL AND WATER

CARD THROWING

GLUEING AN ENTIRE DECK TOGETHER AS A FINALE AND GIVEAWAY TO A TRICK.
I do a trick where I glue two stacks of half the cards and then put rubber cement on the top of one stack and the bottom of the other. After doing a deck switch, their selected card then goes into the middle of the gimmicked stacks, I cut to their card, and then cut the deck so the two halves stick together permanently.

PRACTICING THINGS THAT REQUIRE DESTROYING CARDS, LIKE CARD WARP

It seems to me that Max Maven has put out a few tricks that only require around a dozen random cards.

Here are some other ideas I've learned over the years:

MAKING ORNAMENTS: Stringing a bunch of cards with holes in opposite corners and bending the cards so they look like a ball of cards.

MAKING HOUSES OF CARDS

MAKING BOXES

More ideas?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I like to keep 3-4 cards in my shirt pocket or wallet that I can destroy or give away. They don't seem to last too long in my wallet anyway before they get bent up.

Here is one that I like to keep in my shirt pocket: For example, A regular King of diamonds, a regular red spot card, a regular black spot card, and a gimmicked king of hearts for the Larry Jennings Close-up Illusion. I take out three of the four cards, leaving the regular king of diamonds and taking out the gimmicked king of hearts along with the other two spot cards. When done with the Larry Jennings routine, I put the cards back in my pocket and then either wait for them to ask to see them or offer to do something else and take out three cards, including the regular king and leaving the gimmicked king. I either do a card warp where they pick two of the three regular cards, a monte routine, or something involving mentalism.

If anyone has a multi phase mentalism routine with three cards, I would love to check it out.

KJ
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Practice your favourite T & R card effect. Max Maven's "Tearable" destroys two cards each time. It's in his book Focus and in one of Doc Eason's Bar Magic L & L DVDs.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
I have drawn numbers on the backs of the cards for use as flash cards to help memorize a stack order.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Give them away to friends who play card games.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
Practice all the sleights that you regularly use with them. That way, you can still entertain people after being handed an old and used deck of cards.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Practice your Mercury Card Fold
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
copperct
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
93 Posts

Profile of copperct
I recently purchased J.C. Wagner's 7 Secrets book and may end up pulling out some of my older "retired" decks Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2020, CardGuyMike wrote:
I have drawn numbers on the backs of the cards for use as flash cards to help memorize a stack order.

I like this one. I have been wanting to memorize a stack. I even created a stack that suited some tricks that I created, but I fell short of memorizing the stack enough to remember it if I didn't use it for a while.

KJ
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Have decks of used cards handy that you just use for card destroying effects. If you only do such an effect a few times in a day or at a gig, just carry enough of those used cards to do those effects instead of destroying your newer cards.

Find a desirable box, cover it with a desired color, take six cards and affix them on each side to make card dice.

Sign them and/or stamp them with your business info/web site etc. to use in effect and hand out.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Jonmaddgician
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
72 Posts

Profile of Jonmaddgician
I mean there's old cards, & then there's old MANKY cards... =P
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Creating gimmicked or special decks (ultra mental deck, rainbow deck, 5-way forcing decks, Rick Lax's "The End" decks, etc.).
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I purchased this, and I thought making a gimmick of all the court cards would enhance this trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1LVTM9pygI
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Sorry, wrong link. Here is the link:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S30214
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2020, 1KJ wrote:
I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1LVTM9pygI

That looks fun, thanks for sharing.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Another use: Cut up the old cards into confetti to make any magic show more fun.
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
A few extra cards would be some good candidates for sewing into the lining of a scarf/jacket, hiding under the flyleaf of a book you're about to give a friend for Xmas etc.

Keep track of who got what, do a card trick for them a while later (that goes wrong because you somehow can't find their card any more) and then, boom, the rest writes itself..
markc1975
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of markc1975
Hello,

Jeremy Tan does some cool card-cutting, which he calls Card Kirigami.

I followed his tutorials and made these, which look nice on the shelf. I also used old cards to make my 'Deck In Bottle' too. No one knows the card box is filled with old cards.

You could also make some 'Impossible Folds' too, which look nice, and are a cool giveaway.
markc1975
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of markc1975
Sorry, forgot to attach the picture. Here it is:

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What to do with old cards (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL