The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best card on ceiling wax (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DyeTube
View Profile
New user
Melissa, Texas
23 Posts

Profile of DyeTube
Looking for some good card on ceiling wax. I bought the propdog wax and its crap. I won't stick to my clean ceiling at all no matter how hard I try to get it to do so and my ceiling is very clean and isn't popcorn at all. I used Ammar's wax for years but haven't done this effect in a long time. Any suggestions of where to either get his wax again or what wax I should use? Thanks in advance!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3201 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Here is what I use. Pea size ball Sticks to almost any ceiling in my experience. For acoustical tile spread the ball to the size of a silver dollar. This can be done right in front of the audience.

https://www.amazon.com/Department-56-Acc......50&psc=1

This looks like the Tacky Wax I use but the description says "intricately painted" whch is clearly a mistake. Do your own investigating before ordering.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
DyeTube
View Profile
New user
Melissa, Texas
23 Posts

Profile of DyeTube
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2020, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Here is what I use. Pea size ball Sticks to almost any ceiling in my experience. For acoustical tile spread the ball to the size of a silver dollar. This can be done right in front of the audience.

Wow, A silver dollar sized spread. That's really big! That's definitely a decent price.
DyeTube
View Profile
New user
Melissa, Texas
23 Posts

Profile of DyeTube
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2020, MeetMagicMike wrote:

This looks like the Tacky Wax I use but the description says "intricately painted" whch is clearly a mistake. Do your own investigating before ordering.

So I ordered that wax and it came today. It's really good stuff! Very tack and soft and perfect for card on the ceiling. I already tried it and it stuck extremely well. Thanks! I'll be getting more of this stuff.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
As noted on page 30 of "Gerald Deutsch's Perverse Magic: The First Sixteen Years" (and March 7, 2004 of the Perverse Magic thread on the Genii Forum) I do as Bruce Elliott suggests in his book "Classic Secrets Of Magic" and use, not wax but scotch tape.

The tape goes around the middle finger of my right hand as a ring with the sticky side out (Elliott has it around his thumb) and is added to the back of the selected card which has been brought to the top as the deck is held face up before the toss.
BlushingCrow
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of BlushingCrow
That's really clever, I like that idea - I'd practically given up on wax (and WaXX while we're on the subject)
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3201 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
DyeTube wrote
<quote>So I ordered that wax and it came today. It's really good stuff! Very tack and soft and perfect for card on the ceiling. I already tried it and it stuck extremely well. Thanks! I'll be getting more of this stuff.</quote>

A couple of Tips:

I'm in Florida. The wax is white. If I leave the wax in my hot car it turns clear and does not work as well.

I use a quarter to scoop out the wax. I leave the quarter in the wax sticking up so half the quarter is not trouching the wax.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
DyeTube
View Profile
New user
Melissa, Texas
23 Posts

Profile of DyeTube
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2020, MeetMagicMike wrote:
DyeTube wrote
<quote>So I ordered that wax and it came today. It's really good stuff! Very tack and soft and perfect for card on the ceiling. I already tried it and it stuck extremely well. Thanks! I'll be getting more of this stuff.</quote>

A couple of Tips:

I'm in Florida. The wax is white. If I leave the wax in my hot car it turns clear and does not work as well.

I use a quarter to scoop out the wax. I leave the quarter in the wax sticking up so half the quarter is not trouching the wax.

Good idea on the quarter. I'll definitely have to use that.
DyeTube
View Profile
New user
Melissa, Texas
23 Posts

Profile of DyeTube
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2020, Gerald Deutsch wrote:
As noted on page 30 of "Gerald Deutsch's Perverse Magic: The First Sixteen Years" (and March 7, 2004 of the Perverse Magic thread on the Genii Forum) I do as Bruce Elliott suggests in his book "Classic Secrets Of Magic" and use, not wax but scotch tape.

The tape goes around the middle finger of my right hand as a ring with the sticky side out (Elliott has it around his thumb) and is added to the back of the selected card which has been brought to the top as the deck is held face up before the toss.

This is definitely an interesting way of doing card on ceiling. You'd have to make sure the tape was really sticky though. The wax I bought is incredibly tacky and soft (almost too soft, lol). But it works perfectly because it is so tacky. the other thing that is good about this wax is you can probably stick it to a popcorn ceiling if you use enough wax because of how tacky it is.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2091 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
When I worked in a brick and mortar last century, an old timer said that a good wax to use is from a toilet wax ring.
DyeTube
View Profile
New user
Melissa, Texas
23 Posts

Profile of DyeTube
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2020, Wravyn wrote:
When I worked in a brick and mortar last century, an old timer said that a good wax to use is from a toilet wax ring.

That's interesting...
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3394 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I use a couple of toilet rings melted in a double boiler with a couple of short votive candles (wicks removed). If you get it too sticky, add more paraffin. If it gets too hard, you can add a little glycerin. It should be hard at cool room temperature. You spoon out the amount you want and then work it between your fingers until it softens enough to stick to the card and ceiling surface.

Museum Wax is available in decent quantities, and is very suitable for magician's wax. It is used to hold objects in place during earthquakes. Available on the internet. Very clear.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3201 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The Tacky Wax I recommended is used to hold china or figurines so they won't fall over easily. Might be the same as Pop's museum wax.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Is there an implicit problem with the aforementioned roll of tape? It seems easier than melting down several products - toilet wax, votive candles etc; ultimately the method will be discovered when the card is p-e-e-l-e-d off the ceiling, surely?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3397 Posts

Profile of Julie
Back in the olden days we used a ring of regular masking tape.

Easee-Peesee Smile
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3394 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2020, Julie wrote:
Back in the olden days we used a ring of regular masking tape.

Easee-Peesee Smile

Back in the 70's, I used to do the card on ceiling working table to table in restaurants. I found the tape method described in Classic Secrets of Magic when I was a teenager. I never found tape very able to stick to different ceiling textures. It also is hard to carry setups for six or more performances in walk around. Wax is much easier and more effective.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3397 Posts

Profile of Julie
Pop> did you use painter's masking tape?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3394 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
There was only masking tape when I was fourteen. Why? Do you use masking tape, Julie? On high ceilings?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3397 Posts

Profile of Julie
Yes, masking tape loops work very well and multiple loops can be positioned along the inside of a close-up case or a nite club table (ala Abbott's four-legged rolling table from the 1960's/70's time period) for easy access. It all depends upon your performing conditions.

"High Ceilings" is a relative term, but within reason, we've never had any real difficulties. Occasionally a card might not stick, but that was mainly due to what my husband would laughingly refer to as operator error (mine Smile ).

A performer just needs to exercise good judgement--based upon experience--when deciding to toss or not to toss.

Now we most often will perform this at home by tossing the deck at the tiled area framing our fireplace.

Julie
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3394 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I most often performed close up in bars and restaurants. The ceilings could be very high, and without a smooth surface.

Working table to table, I never carried a case. Ten or twelve pieces of wax would easily fit in an empty Sucrets box. I would rip the top off the box and discard it, and then stick the wax balls to the bottom of the box. The box kept the wax away from the inside of my pocket, while allowing easy access.

This went into my side jacket pocket with a bunch of rubber bands. I merely had to reach into the pocket and finger palm a ball of wax as I looped a rubber band over my index finger and thumb to show, with the ball hidden in finger palm. I could do ten or so tables before having to reload.

I found masking tape to be difficult to work with, and not dependable for sticking to various ceiling surfaces.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best card on ceiling wax (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL